PDA

View Full Version : X3 has arrived!

Mercuria
05-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I'll probably be back with pictures and more impressions sometime during the week (Mother's Day/baby's birthday stuff going on right now), but I just want to mention that THEY GOT RID OF THE AUTOMATIC LOCK. I am so disappointed. I actually like the BOB's fold better right now. The X3 is awkward to put down after you fold, and I have to fight with it every time I want to unfold it.

The seat is stiff under the bum, in case anybody is wondering.

The push may actually be better than the XC. I tried it with the BOB, and while I can feel the difference, I don't think it's as great a difference as it was with the XC. And it's really pretty close to the BOB (for now... I'll try it out more when I have more time. I suspect the swivel will be inferior, but I might grease the fork post and see how that does).

The basket is quite nice. I could probably get the big diaper bag (actually just a messenger bag from my previous life) in from the side. It's definitely a much nicer basket than the BOB.

If anybody wants to run with it, I should point out that the front wheel locks in the trailing position. I'm not sure when this changed? The video I saw online has it locking forward.

We'll probably keep it because the whole point of getting it is because we really should have a hand brake for the hills around us (especially when jogging).

sophie80
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
I would love to see pictures and hear more about it!

Do you prefer it over the bob for now?

Mercuria
05-14-2013, 03:48 PM
I hadn't posted back yet because I haven't had a chance to get it outside :bag

I did have to adjust the drum brakes already. The left was engaging way before the right, so it was pulling to the left really badly when braking (I don't think the right was able to engage at all). I had to go balance them out. I checked last night, and it is NOT described in the manual, so I was basically shipped a "defective" stroller (though actually just maladjusted--no tools needed). Color me unimpressed with Baby Jogger on that point.

I promise I will come back with side-by-side pictures and a review at some point! I just don't know much about the X3 yet! And let me know if there's something specific you're looking for :)

sophie80
05-14-2013, 03:49 PM
What do you think about the push and the maneuverability between the two? :)

Mercuria
05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
I will definitely be checking that, since I really wanna know too! I've been pleasantly surprised so far, but the BOB is definitely better. Once I get the X3 outdoors, I'll let you know how much of a difference (if any) it makes off road.

KonzaPrairie
05-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Ours arrived too! I haven't had too much time to play with it yet. Have to say I'm on the fence about whether to keep it or the bob.

Here's my initial thoughts:

I agree, the strap lock is dumb. But I also think the buckle lock on the bob lock is dumb, and I fight with it every time I fold it because the basket gets in the way. I haven't figured out how to fold X3 closed enough for the strap to reach through that hook. I do prefer the X3 fold over the Bob fold though. In the store I could have sworn the saleslady showed me how to pull the stroller behind me when folded, but I haven't figured that out yet.

The handle on the X3 is a smidge higher. I'm really short so I need to test it before determining whether it's a dealbreaker or not.

I feel like the X3 might be a little sturdier. I've hung things on the back of Bob before but mine is on the verge of being tippy. The X3 is definitely not tippy.

Mercuria do you know what the red safety snaps are for that snap the seat to the frame? It looks like you're supposed to snap those and unsnap them every time you fold/unfold the stroller? That part seems kind of dumb too, and totally defeats the purpose of the one-step pull fold!

I have taken some pictures and hope to post in the next day or two!

kaharris83
05-15-2013, 08:28 AM
The red straps are probably the same as on other BJ strollers. They are sadety straps so the stroller won't accidently be folded with the baby inside. I have never snapped them on any of my BJ strollers, because like you said it defeats to one handed fold if I have to fiddle with straps first. They are just a safety feature to prevent accidental folding.

Mercuria
05-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Ours arrived too! I haven't had too much time to play with it yet. Have to say I'm on the fence about whether to keep it or the bob.

Here's my initial thoughts:

I agree, the strap lock is dumb. But I also think the buckle lock on the bob lock is dumb, and I fight with it every time I fold it because the basket gets in the way. I haven't figured out how to fold X3 closed enough for the strap to reach through that hook. I do prefer the X3 fold over the Bob fold though. In the store I could have sworn the saleslady showed me how to pull the stroller behind me when folded, but I haven't figured that out yet.

The handle on the X3 is a smidge higher. I'm really short so I need to test it before determining whether it's a dealbreaker or not.

I feel like the X3 might be a little sturdier. I've hung things on the back of Bob before but mine is on the verge of being tippy. The X3 is definitely not tippy.

Mercuria do you know what the red safety snaps are for that snap the seat to the frame? It looks like you're supposed to snap those and unsnap them every time you fold/unfold the stroller? That part seems kind of dumb too, and totally defeats the purpose of the one-step pull fold!

I have taken some pictures and hope to post in the next day or two!

The X3 seems designed to fold with the front wheel turned to a side. I couldn't get the strap to reach when I had the front wheel locked, which is a habit I have from the BOB (I wheelbarrow it)

Yeah, the red straps are the same on all the baby jogger "patented" folds. I don't think anybody really does it, but the marketing of the fold is hugely misleading.

I've had it folded with the front wheel removed (frame gets really flat that way, and the front wheel gets out of the way of standing on the handle), and propped up against a wall. Its handle is on the floor and its hinge is against the wall. It has a pretty small foot print that way, as opposed to our BOB, which is laying on the floor in the middle of our kitchen (though, to be fair, if the BOB weren't temporary, it probably would have a home on the wall).

Were your drum brakes engaging evenly out of the box?

You'll probably get pictures up before I do. This week is crazy for us. On the bright side, my husband has all his teeth again!

ETA: I think it was changed to a strap fold because the automatic lock would get in the way of folding the frame completely flat like I have it, or at least not hold it that way. I'd like to have both.

ashleybama24
05-17-2013, 09:34 AM
I got my X3 in April and found that it was nice on walks but even better when you jog with it. The push is super smooth and it has all the awesome features of Baby Jogger strollers: huge canopy, easy fold, large basket etc.

I have previously had an Elite Single, Elite Double, Indie Twin, and BOB Duallie for walks/jogging. I miss some of the extra features that the Elite series had that aren't on the Summit X3 due to weight. The one I miss the most is the magnetic peek-a-boo windows. Now they are velcro and to keep them open you have to roll them up.

The seat is pretty firm but my toddler loves to sit in it so it must be comfortable. I love that the foot well is canvas so my older child can hop on when he gets tired of walking. The green color is gorgeous in person and I can't wait for the double version to be available.

Mercuria
05-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Finally took it out yesterday!

It just plain feels heavier than the BOB. The push, the maneuverability... It's like it can do everything the BOB can do, but it's not as happy to do it. I'm hoping that pumping up the tires to near max can help (BOB is rated to 30 psi, and the Summit to 20), and the husband has already approved my plans to try to replace the Summit's bearings with better ones. I also haven't greased up the front fork post because we're storing it with the front wheel off, but I may try that later when I figure out how to contain the grease when the wheel's loose.

Now some good stuff. The fold, without the front wheel, is super flat. We off-roaded to a deli a couple of miles away, and ate indoors with the stroller. We put the front wheel under the fourth chair (there were three of us), stood the stroller on its handle, and leaned it against the same chair. The whole thing was probably less obtrusive than having a fourth person sitting in that chair. It required me to unload the basket (rain coats and stuff), but totally worth it, and something the BOB couldn't do.

The remote lock is as awesome as promised. I tend not to lock the front wheel on the BOB when going over super rough stuff because I just don't t feel like going around to the front of the stroller, and I've paid the price a couple of times. Now that the lock is where I am, it's not a pain, and I do lock it. Even if I didn't, the hand brake can help bail me out of a tough situation sometimes, too. The stuff that seemed great on paper actually is great.

I feel so much more in control on our hilly path with the hand brake. That's the sole reason the BOB could never have been our permanent AT/Jogger (mommy use/daddy use), and I'm happy to say that the Summit fills that void well.

The basket is also an upgrade. There's more room from the basket to the seat, and the "walls" of the basket go higher. The amount of stuff we had in there yesterday would have green at risk of spilling out of the BOB's "low boy." The elasticized sides are an upgrade over our Snap's basket, as well.

I do have nit-picks about the hand brake, though. The cable for it runs along the handle bar, under the right hand. You have the choice of holding it with the bar, feeling it under your fingers, or running your fingers between the cable and the handle, and having the cable rub your knuckles. I may also try to just strap the cable away from the handle altogether if it bothers me enough.

One more thing: we use the BOB sun cover as a bug shield (or else baby would end up covered in dead bugs after daddy's runs). I tried the cover on the Summit, and it looks like it may work. I fit it differently, and the back vent goes over the peekaboo window, which is a win in my book. The seat has to be reclined slightly to create airflow, but it just goes to the same recline as the BOB (the Summit's seat goes more upright).

Speaking of the seat, baby likes the Summit seat much more than the BOB seat. Not only is it more upright, but it's firm under the bum (with a padded cover), and the back is reinforced with a metal frame, so it won't curve like the BOB's does. I sat in both, and I didn't find the Summit uncomfortably firm, or less comfortable than the BOB, really (except that the Summit's seat was slightly too narrow for me...). In fact, I also preferred the Summit's seat over the BOB's (even though it's slightly narrower). Leg room was about the same in both. In the Summit, I could feel the rear shocks sink a bit, but not on the BOB, which was in little kid setting. (I am a southeast Asian, kid-sized mama.) I don't fit under the canopy of either stroller, though.

I took some comparison pics, but the camera died halfway through. I'll get the rest and post them when I get a chance. Sorry for the wait!

(In the meantime, here's a cellphone pic of the two folded, Summit with the front wheel removed)

ETA: I forgot to mention the front suspension. I thought it was hooey, but it helps when you try to climb a small ledge. What would jerk the BOB to hop up (we have some really bad sidewalks), the Summit absorbed with the front suspension and rolled up easily. I am a convert. Front suspension matters.

Mercuria
05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Update: I did some peeking and taking apart, and found that both strollers take the same size bearings. I ordered a full set of BOB bearings (for the Summit) last night. I'm so excited to try this! Maybe I'll finally be able to let go of the BOB!

(Also, just realized that I forgot about the side-by-side pics. I'll try to get the rest of them today, but will post whatever I have tonight regardless. Sorry!)

wangstar
05-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Update: I did some peeking and taking apart, and found that both strollers take the same size bearings. I ordered a full set of BOB bearings (for the Summit) last night. I'm so excited to try this! Maybe I'll finally be able to let go of the BOB!

Let me know how it feel when you've tried it!

Mercuria
05-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Let me know how it feel when you've tried it!

I definitely will! And if it works out well, I'll let you know where I ordered the bearings too (if that's allowed).

I didn't manage to get any more pictures today, but here are the pictures I took before the camera died:

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/MercuriaImages/library/Revo%20SE%20vs%20Summit%20X3

BayGirl2
05-31-2013, 03:40 PM
I'll probably be back with pictures and more impressions sometime during the week (Mother's Day/baby's birthday stuff going on right now), but I just want to mention that THEY GOT RID OF THE AUTOMATIC LOCK. I am so disappointed. I actually like the BOB's fold better right now. The X3 is awkward to put down after you fold, and I have to fight with it every time I want to unfold it.

Just reading this. I have the Summit XC Double and it doesn't have an automatic lock. Maybe it wasn't on the doubles, or they got rid of it with the previous generation? Mine was one of the last before they were discontinued, about a year before the XC.

Mercuria
05-31-2013, 03:58 PM
Just reading this. I have the Summit XC Double and it doesn't have an automatic lock. Maybe it wasn't on the doubles, or they got rid of it with the previous generation? Mine was one of the last before they were discontinued, about a year before the XC.

I believe that the double had a manual and the single had an automatic because an automatic would not have been strong enough for the double. Does the double have a lock on each side? Automatic locks on both sides would be nearly impossible to open, so maybe that's why.

I also now believe that they got rid of the automatic lock because it wouldn't do well when the front wheel is removed (you can fold the frame further when it is). I know that my husband had trouble getting the XC back open because he didn't know about the automatic lock when we went to look at it, so at least the display at BBB had an automatic lock a few months ago. Honestly, since we store it with the front wheel removed, it's actually better for us that the went with the Velcro strap.

BayGirl2
05-31-2013, 04:09 PM
I believe that the double had a manual and the single had an automatic because an automatic would not have been strong enough for the double. Does the double have a lock on each side? Automatic locks on both sides would be nearly impossible to open, so maybe that's why.

I also now believe that they got rid of the automatic lock because it wouldn't do well when the front wheel is removed (you can fold the frame further when it is). I know that my husband had trouble getting the XC back open because he didn't know about the automatic lock when we went to look at it, so at least the display at BBB had an automatic lock a few months ago. Honestly, since we store it with the front wheel removed, it's actually better for us that the went with the Velcro strap.

Actually I don't think my double has a lock at all. If it does its a strap that we never use. Honestly we have it folded in the garage 95% of the time and its not locked, just barely balances there. I'll have to go out and check. I'll be happy if there is a lock I'm missing.

ETA: After a field trip to the garage: No, no lock on either side, it just stays closed on its own. There's a way to fold it so its less bulky, but either way that stroller is a beast. (I still love it though)

Mercuria
05-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Actually I don't think my double has a lock at all. If it does its a strap that we never use. Honestly we have it folded in the garage 95% of the time and its not locked, just barely balances there. I'll have to go out and check. I'll be happy if there is a lock I'm missing.

ETA: After a field trip to the garage: No, no lock on either side, it just stays closed on its own. There's a way to fold it so its less bulky, but either way that stroller is a beast. (I still love it though)

That's weird. I would have assumed SOME lock for the double. If you want a Velcro strap or two, get heavy duty Velcro cable ties (Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon, wherever), and fasten around one side of the frame with the rough side facing the frame and the rough side of the tail facing out when pointed at the other side of the frame. When you want to secure it, pull the tail around the loose half of the frame, and it should tack on the looped part.