PDA

View Full Version : Dress Rec for July wedding

ray7694
05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
I want something fun and colorful. Not too short as I am 5 7 and a size 8. Anyone seen anything?

lizzywednesday
05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
A few more details would help a bit:

General location/region? What's the weather like then?

Indoor or outdoor?

Time of day for the ceremony/reception?

Your coloring?
Your build?
Any colors you need to avoid due to cultural or social expectations?

All this info will change what fabrics, colors, and styles we can recommend. (Also, I feel your pain - I'm just a hair shy of 5'8" and shorter summer dresses do NOT work for me.)

AnnieW625
05-13-2013, 01:35 PM
I just bought this dress from Talbots, Supplice Wrap Dress in lapis (http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi30785&rootCategory=cat70008&catId=cat80018&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70008). I am 5'6", and 195lbs, and have a pretty athletic build (I like to think I don't look my real weight unless I am wearing really frumpy clothes;)) and a medium fits me really nicely so the dress runs a bit big as I usually wear a large in most brands these days (although I can also see the same size fitting me without a shaper once I loose 20lbs and it still fitting pretty much the same way, I have broad shoulders so I often need mediums or large shirts even at my normal smaller pre pregnancy weight of 160lbs). Here is the link for the petite dress (http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi30785&rootCategory=cat70010&catId=cat80018&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70010) as well.
If you can get yourself one of the May catalogs there is a code on the back of it for 30% off your entire purchase, that also works on the items that are currently buy one get one 50% off.

I am thinking of ordering a shoe kind of like this one to wear with the dress:
Nina Nolga (http://www.zappos.com/nina-nolga-silver)

ray7694
05-13-2013, 06:35 PM
It is an evening wedding and will be hot but inside. My dh is the best man and my dd is the flower girl.

lizzywednesday
05-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Oh wow, I love that dress Annie linked!

If it were me, I'd go with the Bali Blue or the Papaya colors.

What's your coloring like? I'm a brunette with pale skin, so I tend to gravitate to jewel tones.

If you feel exposed, you can always take a lightweight shawl or crocheted scarf.

A simple drop necklace would help elongate your neck & a couple of bangle bracelets could add a bit more glam.

sariana
05-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Annie, that dress is gorgeous!

OP (ray7694), Annie's dress is gorgeous! Would it work for your event?

AnnieW625
05-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Oh wow, I love that dress Annie linked!

If it were me, I'd go with the Bali Blue or the Papaya colors.

What's your coloring like? I'm a brunette with pale skin, so I tend to gravitate to jewel tones.

If you feel exposed, you can always take a lightweight shawl or crocheted scarf.

A simple drop necklace would help elongate your neck & a couple of bangle bracelets could add a bit more glam.

I tried the Bali blue on and I wasn't sold on the color, it was too turquoise-y. They didn't have the papaya in the store, but that and the red one will be on my wish list for the end of season sale. The event I am going to is the Blue Martini Ball so something has to be blue. I am pretty pale, but have slight yellow undertones and dark blond hair. I will probably need a spray tan prior. ;)

lizzywednesday
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
I tried the Bali blue on and I wasn't sold on the color, it was too turquoise-y. They didn't have the papaya in the store, but that and the red one will be on my wish list for the end of season sale. The event I am going to is the Blue Martini Ball so something has to be blue. I am pretty pale, but have slight yellow undertones and dark blond hair. I will probably need a spray tan prior. ;)

LOL about the spray-tan.

I look good in turquoise, which is why I said if it were me I'd totally do the Bali Blue - super-pale skin with pink undertones, dark brown hair, hazel eyes.

I find that Ann Taylor can run generously, which is fine by me so it makes the brand my go-to for a lot of things.

niccig
05-14-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm going to try this on too. I don't have anything to wear if need to go to nicer event that isn't formal, a dress like this would fill that gap. I'd get it in one of the colours and then dress up/down with shoes/accessories as needed.

mom2one
05-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks for posting the dress. I wanted to let you all know that it is 30% off right now with code DRESSUP.

I ordered the papaya color. I'll let you know how it works out.

RAY7694 -- Nordstroms just sent out an email about dresses to wear to a wedding. I love several of them.

WatchingThemGrow
05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
I just reserved the dress in black at Talbot's very close to us. I'll go pick it up tomorrow and hope it'll work for our 2 summer Sat. 6pm weddings in the South. It will, right?