PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Junior Mattress Question

lizzywednesday
05-13-2013, 12:08 PM
So, DD has had her "big girl bed" for about 6 months now.

She doesn't like sleeping in it because we're still using the (very firm) crib mattress in it. The crib mattress is also about 18" too short.

Anyway, we've now got plans to take a trip up to IKEA & get the less expensive of the two "junior" mattresses (not as wide or as long as a twin, but longer than a crib) ... and I'm having trouble visualizing sheets for it.

Am I limited to the 2 colors of IKEA sheets (fitted sheet only, BTW, and I really want a flat sheet as well) they sell for the mattress or would it be OK to modify a twin fitted sheet to fit the narrower mattress?

What about mattress covers?

Anyone have creative solutions so I don't have to rely on IKEA to find bedding items that fit?

crl
05-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Etsy?

Catherine

lizzywednesday
05-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Etsy is an idea.

I should also check with my mom, my aunts, & my grandma, since they sew! I don't know if any of them have ever sewed bedsheets, though. (I haven't ever set elastic or sewed anything with corners, but I can handle a regular hem if I take my time.)

lizzywednesday
08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
UPDATE:

Twin sized Circo brand sheets work fine, but I will need to get the Junior Mattress sized mattress pads from IKEA.

And I'm happy to report that DD is THRILLED with her new dinosaur sheets.

AJP
02-25-2014, 08:52 PM
We have one of the Ikea "junior" beds for DS and use a twin sized quilt (a little big) but have been using the ikea junior fitted sheet. Did you make any modifications to the twin sheets (specifically the fitted one)? He has a cute quilt from Target and I'd love to get the sheets, but don't think I'm skilled enough to modify the fitted sheet. Poor kid can't fit a full sized bed in his room and I'm holding out till we move.

lizzywednesday
02-26-2014, 09:39 AM
We have one of the Ikea "junior" beds for DS and use a twin sized quilt (a little big) but have been using the ikea junior fitted sheet. Did you make any modifications to the twin sheets (specifically the fitted one)? He has a cute quilt from Target and I'd love to get the sheets, but don't think I'm skilled enough to modify the fitted sheet. Poor kid can't fit a full sized bed in his room and I'm holding out till we move.

No, I didn't modify the sheets - twin is wider & slightly longer - but they work fine just tucked under the mattress in a kind of "hospital-corners" fashion. We have the old, non-extendible SUNDVIK frame, so the bedframe actually works quite well to keep the sheets tucked. And, well, for the price (bought them on sale) and convenience (Target is 2 miles away vs. IKEA at 40 miles), I went with the Circo set so I could have more than one set of sheets.

Very low-tech, but since I'm no longer worried about loose sheets suffocating DD, I didn't care. I'm sure if I gave a darn and took the time, I would be able to modify them - the sheets are quite clearly constructed, so it wouldn't be difficult.

I also like having a flat sheet on a made bed because it looks pretty ... and the extra lightweight layer helps keep DD warm.

AJP
02-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Thank you! DS has the Kritter bed and we only have 2 plain fitted sheets for it. I wanted the sheets to match the quilt too. I will try it. I am skilled enough to tuck the corners tight and POSSIBLY put a couple of stitches in to keep a nice tight pocket on the fitted sheet. Hopefully I won't need to! ;)