PDA

View Full Version : Best lightweight for tall parents?

mjs64
05-13-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm asking for my expecting friend. She definitely wants a light(er) weight stroller, one with a deep recline that is suitable for babies (doesn't have to be flat). Bonus for carseat adaptor.

She loved the BJCM at BRU yesterday, but its handle was just too short for her DH. We talked about the GT as an alternative (BRU didn't have it), but it's a lot heavier than the BJCM (16.5 vs. 23 lbs?). It does have the adjustable handles, but I think it will feel like a different stroller.

What are other options with extendable or tall handles (her DH is very tall, she is not) that I'm not aware of that don't make the stroller too heavy? Budget is under 300. Willing to do CL, but she has a terrible one.

legaleagle
05-13-2013, 01:50 PM
The cybex onyx is very tall and really nice for newborns - it's about the same weight as the BJCM. It has a universal carseat adapter.

AnnieW625
05-13-2013, 02:17 PM
I think that the Maclaren Quest or a Triumph might be a good compromise height wise, although some stroller enthuasiasts will tell you that you shouldn't use a Quest till at least 3 months and shouldn't use a Triumph until 6 months, but we used a Triumph with DD1 from 3-4 months old and once she had good head control, and Maclaren said use at 3 months old was fine.

I also have the Maclaren Techno XLR, which comes with a car seat adaptor (although mine didn't come with one, I bought my stroller off ebay and it only had a little strap thing), but the full recline got a lot of use and the Techno stroller handles were almost too tall for me and I am 5'6". My DH is 6' tall though and really liked the height on it though. The only downside is that it is about 15-17lbs so it isn't as light as the Quest. If your friend is in So Cal, please PM me. We haven't used our Techno in a while and I would be interested in selling it to someone who will love it as much as we do.

ebp913
05-13-2013, 03:15 PM
The cybex onyx is very tall and really nice for newborns - it's about the same weight as the BJCM. It has a universal carseat adapter.

I have the Onyx and my hubby is tall and it's a great height for him. The car seat adapters are awesome also!

swissair81
05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
I'm not so tall (5'8"), but I prefer strollers that I don't kick with adjustable handlebars (even if it means they are heavier). My shortlist of acceptable 'lightweights' include the Maclaren Techno XT, the Bugaboo Bee+, and the Mountain Buggy Swift. I currently own two of these and I owned the Techno when my 4.5 year old was a baby. I cannot stand any of the lighter strollers.

hihellonikki
05-14-2013, 02:19 AM
I love my GT. If she loved the regular City Mini, it may be worth looking to see if there is another store besides BRU in your area that has one to try out. I was torn between the two strollers and although very similar, the GT is a great upgrade.

crl
05-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Loved my onyx, great for tall parents, awesome canopy, easiest recline ever.

Catherine

mjs64
05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. She's got her heart set on the GT now, so I hope it works out for her. Looking forward to checking it out once she gets it.

Annie, hope you find a good home for the Mac!

keh602
05-14-2013, 09:55 PM
DH is 6'5" and has no issues pushing our GT. The handle height is comfortable for him, and he doesn't kick it. I bet she'll like it. :) Any chance she could try it out at Buy Buy Baby?

crl
05-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks all for the feedback. She's got her heart set on the GT now, so I hope it works out for her. Looking forward to checking it out once she gets it.

Annie, hope you find a good home for the Mac!

Hope she loves it! A good stroller is a great thing. :)

Catherine

kaharris83
05-14-2013, 10:22 PM
The GT is awesome!!