PDA

View Full Version : Any new updates on Breastpumps?

marymoo86
05-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Its been awhile since I had to pump and was serviced nicely by the Lansinoh double electric. Not sure how much life is left in it for #2.

At work, they have access to discounted Medela pumps plus a subsidy so a PISA backpack or tote comes out to $180 and Freestyle is $250.

Is the PISA fine for my needs I did respond well to pumping last time or is there some new pump out on the market now that would be worth the additional cost?

I don't need to order for awhile but thought I would go ahead and get this one item figured out and off the list :)

jennilynn
05-13-2013, 05:38 PM
If I had to buy new I'd probably get a Hygeia Enjoye, because the company is awesome, the pumps are closed system so they can be reused and they can be recycled.
But if you have health insurance, they should provide you with a new pump for free. I say should because some companies, like Blue Cross Blue Shield, are only offering a manual pump and not a double electric. However, a medical supplier I talked to a while back said I could get a double electric through BCBS and they would submit the claim. I just had to wait to order until 4 weeks before my due date, which is next week. I'm pretty sure my Medela PIS still works but it's more than four years old and I used it for two kids, so it really needs to be retired.

marymoo86
05-13-2013, 06:44 PM
If I had to buy new I'd probably get a Hygeia Enjoye, because the company is awesome, the pumps are closed system so they can be reused and they can be recycled.
But if you have health insurance, they should provide you with a new pump for free. I say should because some companies, like Blue Cross Blue Shield, are only offering a manual pump and not a double electric. However, a medical supplier I talked to a while back said I could get a double electric through BCBS and they would submit the claim. I just had to wait to order until 4 weeks before my due date, which is next week. I'm pretty sure my Medela PIS still works but it's more than four years old and I used it for two kids, so it really needs to be retired.

Unfortunately the reimbursement depends on the insurance policy. I'm guessing mine does not cover given the subsidy.

goldenpig
05-13-2013, 07:10 PM
I have a PISA from 2007 and a Freestyle from 2010 and am using them again for #3. I use the PISA at home and bring the Freestyle to work but I much prefer the PISA. I find the Freestyle to be more finicky to get the suction working (have to turn the suction way up and fiddle with the valve and prone to backups of milk in the flange (sometimes the rubber seal gets stuck) and the valve is different from the PISA. If I had to do it again I'd buy another PISA instead (in fact I am contemplating buying another PISA if I get too sick of fiddling with the Freestyle).

AngB
05-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Your insurance company is required to cover it under the ACA. I doubt the subsidy through your employer matters, most likely they still have to cover it.

I got the Hygeia Enjoye or whatever in November and really don't care for it- I have never gotten as much pumping and hate that you can only use their bottles on the horns-that is a serious pita. It's ok for a free pump but if I had paid money for it I would not have been happy.

I used the Ameda Purely Yours for DS1 and when I pump usually now. It's the same as the lansinoh one-I really really like it. The only thing I don't like is that the motor broke about 2 months in with DS1. They replaced it but it was a PITA and their CS wasn't that impressive.

marymoo86
05-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Your insurance company is required to cover it under the ACA. I doubt the subsidy through your employer matters, most likely they still have to cover it.

Really? I thought it was just approved to be reimbursed through FSA.

ETA - found this info. I need to call and see what my insurance will cover:

The law’s recommendations aren’t specific, so coverage varies from health plan to health plan. Some cover purchase of manual pumps only; others exclude hospital-grade pumps, often used soon after birth to help mothers establish adequate milk flow (although some plans cover such pumps if a doctor deems one medically necessary). Most plans require women to obtain the pumps from designated vendors, which may or may not offer the model a woman prefers; that means women usually can’t buy a pump at retail and submit a receipt for reimbursement.
http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/breast-pump-coverage-under-new-law-varies-in-practice/

lizzywednesday
05-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I did fine with my PISA, which I will need to replace if we have another DC as it's still sitting in my garage ... I shudder to think how icky it's gotten because I never bothered to clean everything after the last time I used it (don't ask.)

I also used a hospital-provided Symphony with a "Preemie Plus" program to get my milk in after DD was born. Then we switched to the regular Symphony for our longer-term rental after I was discharged. (I returned it when DD was 8 weeks old & nursing regularly; by that time, I had also been able to purchase the PISA off my registry.)

The PISA is a fine pump, though it took me some fiddling to maximize my milk output.

Honestly, I was looking into the Freestyle but it was too new when I registered to get any solid reviews. After the Symphony, I was attracted to the Freestyle because it can save pumping "programs" but I wouldn't count on my insurance covering it. (Another attraction of the Freestyle is its portability - it would take up a lot less space on trips than a PISA - but, again, I'm not counting on anything.)

AngB
05-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Really? I thought it was just approved to be reimbursed through FSA.

ETA - found this info. I need to call and see what my insurance will cover:

The law’s recommendations aren’t specific, so coverage varies from health plan to health plan. Some cover purchase of manual pumps only; others exclude hospital-grade pumps, often used soon after birth to help mothers establish adequate milk flow (although some plans cover such pumps if a doctor deems one medically necessary). Most plans require women to obtain the pumps from designated vendors, which may or may not offer the model a woman prefers; that means women usually can’t buy a pump at retail and submit a receipt for reimbursement.
http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/breast-pump-coverage-under-new-law-varies-in-practice/

Yes. The major insurances seem to be allowing the same pumps (may even be a PISA) for every plan. For example, I had United Healthcare. They gave me the name of 2 medical supply companies (edgepark and something else.) I went with edgepark and just called them and they asked my insurance company, when I told them they said, "ok this is what they cover" (the Hygeia). BTW, if you get a choice for medical supply company, I DO NOT recommend Edgepark. It took them 2 months to ship my pump with no/poor communication, and then they have sent me a ton of bills that I don't owe, I had to call them and my insurance company multiple times and finally the insurance company called them telling them to stop billing me so hopefully it is finally over.

marymoo86
05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes. The major insurances seem to be allowing the same pumps (may even be a PISA) for every plan. For example, I had United Healthcare. They gave me the name of 2 medical supply companies (edgepark and something else.) I went with edgepark and just called them and they asked my insurance company, when I told them they said, "ok this is what they cover" (the Hygeia). BTW, if you get a choice for medical supply company, I DO NOT recommend Edgepark. It took them 2 months to ship my pump with no/poor communication, and then they have sent me a ton of bills that I don't owe, I had to call them and my insurance company multiple times and finally the insurance company called them telling them to stop billing me so hopefully it is finally over.

Mine is UHC too. Edgepark and Genadyne are the 2 national suppliers. Edgepark has a Medela looks like a PISA, Ameda, and Playtex while Genadyne offers Lansinoh and something called Rumbletuff?

The email also said, "The rental or purchase of a breast pump will be covered. You will simply need to contact a network physician, hospital or durable medical equipment supplier. UnitedHealthcare has contracted with national suppliers who can ship the breast pump directly to you. The supplier will bill UnitedHealthcare directly for reimbursement.

I need to call and clarify as the hospital does sell them where I will be delivering to see if that will qualify rather than go through Edgepark. Just glad to know it is covered :)

AngB
05-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Mine is UHC too. Edgepark and Genadyne are the 2 national suppliers. Edgepark has a Medela looks like a PISA, Ameda, and Playtex while Genadyne offers Lansinoh and something called Rumbletuff?

The email also said, "The rental or purchase of a breast pump will be covered. You will simply need to contact a network physician, hospital or durable medical equipment supplier. UnitedHealthcare has contracted with national suppliers who can ship the breast pump directly to you. The supplier will bill UnitedHealthcare directly for reimbursement.

I need to call and clarify as the hospital does sell them where I will be delivering to see if that will qualify rather than go through Edgepark. Just glad to know it is covered :)

Awesome. Sounds like they have made it easier since I got mine in Nov. At the time they did have all those pumps listed on the edgepark website, it was just when I called they said that UHC covered the Hygeia, but maybe it covers more now.

If you get a choice, you may want to consider the Ameda b/c the pump parts should be the same as what you already have with the lansinoh pump.

marymoo86
05-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Awesome. Sounds like they have made it easier since I got mine in Nov. At the time they did have all those pumps listed on the edgepark website, it was just when I called they said that UHC covered the Hygeia, but maybe it covers more now.

If you get a choice, you may want to consider the Ameda b/c the pump parts should be the same as what you already have with the lansinoh pump.

Even better. I called and spoke with a representative and he confirmed that I could purchase the pump at the hospital and be reimbursed as it is in network! No concerns about ordering :)

ECUPirateMom
05-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Do all hospitals sell breast pumps? I have UHC too and was curious about this since everyone I've talked to said dealing with their medical suppliers was a PITA.

marymoo86
05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Do all hospitals sell breast pumps? I have UHC too and was curious about this since everyone I've talked to said dealing with their medical suppliers was a PITA.

Don't know. Looks like you are nearby :waving4:

Rex has an in house space that sells/rent pumps and other BF supplies.

I would definitely call your insurance provider though to ensure your policy covers it b/c it may only be the national supplier option.