PDA

View Full Version : How early did you start "nesting"?

sarahsthreads
05-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Because I'm only 24 weeks and I feel frantic that we don't even have the room cleared out, let alone painted and set up and ready for the baby.

I went out and bought some newborn boy clothes this past weekend because, again, frantic that I had none in the house. I very seriously considered picking up diapers while I was at it, but managed to restrain myself.

And I'm frantic that DH is not at all interested in helping me decide on a carseat or a name yet.

Unfortunately, if this is nesting, it has not translated into scrubbing every crevice of the house, but that could be because I have two kids, a husband and a dog working against me every time I try. (And as an aside, dog, if you don't stop randomly lifting your leg on stuff in the house I'm going to buy a giant pack of clothespins. I'm serious.)

I just feel like, at best, I have 6, maybe 8, weeks before I feel too huge and uncomfortable to do anything serious like shop for big stuff or clear out a bedroom, and everyone else is like "you have so much time, why are you worried, just chill!" Um, hello? I think yesterday I was only 14 weeks pregnant and just breaking the news to you all, or at least it feels like it, so where is all this time you think I have? I was on bed rest with DD1 from 32 weeks on, which I'm sure is coloring my perception of time, but I just wish someone else (DH, I'm looking at you) would feel this same sense of urgency!

So, am I alone here? Totally crazy for being so worried so early?

Sarah

georgiegirl
05-13-2013, 07:44 PM
I've been spring cleaning (I.e. getting rid of junk) for the past month. I completely cleaned out the small bedroom, which was filled with random crap and boxes, and I cleaned out the machine room in the basement, and donated 15 bags of clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. I did everything myself. I don't have much for baby, just a stroller, car seat, and rock and play. But I do have 75% of DS clothes still. I never had nurseries for my kids, so I'm not stressed about that. Baby will probably just sleep in the rock and play next to my bed.

TxCat
05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
In theory, I want to nest. Like, I'm nesting via my to-do list. In practice, not so much. By the time I get home from work, have spent some time with DD and have made and cleaned up dinner, I just want to lie down. I know I need to get a lot of stuff done, I just can't quite work up the motivation yet. :)

That being said, my to-do lists are helping. I finally called my work HR about FMLA, called my insurance company about my short-term disability policy, and ordered curtains and a chandelier for new baby's room. Fortunately we painted that room along with DD's when we moved in last year, so that's done. And, I scheduled our handyman to come on Wednesday, so he will move furniture around for us, hang up the new chandelier, put on a dimmer switch, etc. I still have to clean out the closet, wash all of DD's old newborn clothes for the new baby, start reorganizing the bathroom for them to share, etc.

BigDog
05-13-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm 38 weeks, in the middle of a huge kitchen renovation, haven't packed my hospital bag, decided to give up on painting the nursery and making it nice and new for DS3, and oh, no name has been picked either. I'm done. Toast. Got nothing left in me! Hopefully someone will throw a few things in a bag for me and come up with a name... andthat I'll have a somewhat functioning kitchen by the time I get home from the hospital. Ugh.

sarahsthreads
05-13-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm 38 weeks, in the middle of a huge kitchen renovation, haven't packed my hospital bag, decided to give up on painting the nursery and making it nice and new for DS3, and oh, no name has been picked either. I'm done. Toast. Got nothing left in me! Hopefully someone will throw a few things in a bag for me and come up with a name... andthat I'll have a somewhat functioning kitchen by the time I get home from the hospital. Ugh.

You win! :bowdown: I don't know whether to hope for your sake that your DS comes late (so hopefully after the kitchen is done) or not!

(May I gently suggest that you at least charge your camera battery and put a spare outfit and nursing bra in a bag just for kicks? I have to say that waiting for DH and my mom to pack a bag - and trying to help them - while I should have been already in the car on the way to the hospital was a bit not fun.)

Sarah :)

sarahsthreads
05-13-2013, 09:01 PM
I've been spring cleaning (I.e. getting rid of junk) for the past month. I completely cleaned out the small bedroom, which was filled with random crap and boxes, and I cleaned out the machine room in the basement, and donated 15 bags of clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. I did everything myself. I don't have much for baby, just a stroller, car seat, and rock and play. But I do have 75% of DS clothes still. I never had nurseries for my kids, so I'm not stressed about that. Baby will probably just sleep in the rock and play next to my bed.

I think if I had clothes already, and a car seat, I'd feel a bit better. But the girls' infant seat expired and was trashed long ago, and I've given away pretty much all the soft goods - clothes, sheets, towels, burp clothes, changing pads, etc. - so even if I were having another girl I'd still need to go out and replace a lot of that.

We do have a crib and dresser, but not in the room they need to be in - because that room is filled with yarn and fabric and sewing machines - and I no longer have the arm's reach co-sleeper so I haven't figured out what our early sleeping arrangements will be.

It's just going to be a lot of moving and rearranging and sorting and organizing, and a lot of it is beyond my ability to do while DH is at work (no way am I moving a dresser or shelving alone) and I work evenings and Saturdays. There aren't enough unspoken-for Sundays left, kwim?

sarahsthreads
05-13-2013, 09:05 PM
In theory, I want to nest. Like, I'm nesting via my to-do list. In practice, not so much. By the time I get home from work, have spent some time with DD and have made and cleaned up dinner, I just want to lie down. I know I need to get a lot of stuff done, I just can't quite work up the motivation yet. :)

At this point my "to-do list" is a private Pinterest board, which isn't terribly helpful. Maybe I should hang a giant sheet of paper on the wall with everything that needs doing so DH can't help but see it every day...

And I know what you mean, by the time dinner time rolls around I'm done for the day. (Except my work nights, which, I'm still done for the day but have to put on a good front and try to be pleasant to customers. At least they're generally less whiny and demanding than my kids.)

abh5e8
05-13-2013, 09:11 PM
wow...with that schedule (i understand...ours is similar) and a history of bedrest at 32 weeks, i'd be nesting too!!

now around here....i'm 36 weeks (37 tomorrow) and the baby girl still has no name. i did manage to pull out the girls clothes and newborn diapers...but realized i have no NB covers. thankfully we cosleep, so no nursery to work on. i would like to get 2 pictures hung in our bedroom and finish changing all the pocket diapers from aplix to snaps.

oh...and tonight i vaccumed out the suburban, moved all the carseats around and installed the new cocorro. whew...i'm ready for bed.

scrooks
05-13-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm 30 weeks tomorrow and starting to get antsy about getting DS in his new room. I do have a new carseat and our nursery will remain the same as it has for DS and DD....I also have everything from DS clothes wise and all baby gear from dd and DS.....I bought diapers yesterday. I wish I had more energy to acually clean things out....

Oh...no name here....he probably won't have a name until he arrives.

abh5e8
05-13-2013, 09:13 PM
oh, and for the pp who still needs to pack a hospital bag...do it TONIGHT! (trust me...last time i was in labor, riding in the car, calling my dh between each contraction telling him what to pack and where it was...NOT the way to do it, i tell ya :))

TxCat
05-13-2013, 09:43 PM
oh, and for the pp who still needs to pack a hospital bag...do it TONIGHT! (trust me...last time i was in labor, riding in the car, calling my dh between each contraction telling him what to pack and where it was...NOT the way to do it, i tell ya :))

Tell me about it. I fell at 34 weeks last time, and ended up in the hospital for a week for monitoring due to placental abruption. No bag packed previously so I had to rely on DH to get everything. That was awful. Even simple things, like "a pair of pajamas" went terribly wrong. He brought my Christmas pajamas. In September. To the hospital. Do you know how lame it feels to be talking to your doctors and nurses in polar bear Christmas pajamas???

jennilynn
05-13-2013, 10:51 PM
I say nest away! I spent the weekend making food for the freezer and was exhausted and sore and wished I would have done it months ago (I'm 35 weeks.) I did put the crib together months ago and my babies rarely even sleep in it but I sure didn't want to depend on DH to do it!

BabbyO
05-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Definitely make your TO DO list public. My DH doesn't understand anything unless it is in list form in front of him. Plus he gets perverse joy in checking things off...so just having a list was a HUGE motivator for him.

As for us...we always tackle LARGE projects just before we have babies...with Stachio it was the basement - I helped DH lay carpet 4th of July weekend, then just for good measure on Monday (July 4) we cut HUGE branches and pruned a bunch of our trees and I helped him bundle and haul the wood all day long. Stachio came along 4 days later.

With Peanut it was painting the outside of the house...which we started in June, but DH had to make a bunch of repairs to the siding an soffits. Labor Day weekend I took Friday off and Painted ALL day outside in the sun. Saturday I painted all day again. By the end of the day there was 1 small wall left and I was DONE. DH and FIL finished up the last of it on Sunday. Peanut came along on Wed.

What I have is WAY beyond nesting- it is major home repair/upgrades!