PDA

View Full Version : for fun: iphone camera improvements model to model comparison

larig
05-13-2013, 08:02 PM
I just saw this comparison of all of the different cameras in ALL of the iphone models. It's really interesting to see how they've improve over time. A huge difference when they came to the 3gs, and the level of detail with the 5 is impressive.
http://campl.us/posts/6iPhoneCameras

sunshine873
05-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I was just talking about the quality in iPhone pics to a photographer friend this weekend. I have an Android phone and that is my one complaint. He pointed out that the iPhone doesn't have the most mega-pixels, but Apple invested in a great lens for the camera, so it ends up with much higher quality than the majority of (if not all) other phones out there.

larig
05-13-2013, 08:26 PM
I was just talking about the quality in iPhone pics to a photographer friend this weekend. I have an Android phone and that is my one complaint. He pointed out that the iPhone doesn't have the most mega-pixels, but Apple invested in a great lens for the camera, so it ends up with much higher quality than the majority of (if not all) other phones out there.

My naive understanding of digital photography is that megapixels only matters to a certain point, and mostly if you want to do a lot of zooming in on a photo, or blowing it up to a big picture (e.g., putting it on a canvas). Beyond that, like your friend said, the lens/optics are really important to the quality of a photo.