PDA

View Full Version : Rich Moms hire handicapped tour guides to skip lines at Disney World

psimpson3-5
05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Have you seen this news story?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/disney_world_srich_kid_outrage_zTBA0xrvZRkIVc1zItX GDP

I am seriously sickened by this.

crl
05-14-2013, 03:32 PM
That's horrid.

Catherine

lalasmama
05-14-2013, 03:45 PM
... and this is why people give me nasty looks when using a Guest Assistance Pass (to avoid stairs) at Disneyland... because people like this abuse the system.

(FTR, I have MS, and frequently can't feel my lower legs. It's not a big deal when walking, but going up and down stairs, I often think my feet are high enough to clear the step, and then end up tripping because my feet are only up 3 inches.)

DietCokeLover
05-14-2013, 03:55 PM
That is unbelievable.

Binkandabee
05-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Despicable.

KpbS
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Sadly, this does not surprise me. It's terrible.

YouAreTheFocus
05-14-2013, 04:02 PM
What? Wow.

wellyes
05-14-2013, 04:16 PM
I want to high five the woman who published the story. And to hear the names of the families that employed the guide. The story published the company but not the clients.

minnie-zb
05-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I find this so horrible and despicable I'm having a hard time believing it is true. Surely people aren't so horrible, are they?

randomkid
05-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Well, yes, it is despicable, but also somewhat ridiculous. If they are that wealthy they could just rent a scooter and achieve the same goal. Also, you can't go on every ride if you are in a wheelchair. Space Mountain comes to mind. I guess it would work for some rides and shows, but not everything. Also, your person in the wheelchair may need to transfer into some of the rides. I find this almost laughable. They think they are "pulling one over" on Disney. People have used these tactics for years without paying an arm and a leg. You just have to rent a wheelchair or a scooter. I worked at Disney and we'd have people all the time who are using a wheelchair temporarily that would get to go to the front of the line. Get a fracture boot and rent a wheelchair - much cheaper people!

lalasmama
05-14-2013, 04:49 PM
I find this so horrible and despicable I'm having a hard time believing it is true. Surely people aren't so horrible, are they?

Yeah, sadly, they are horrible enough to do this. :( It's pretty common. I was reading a book on Disneyland history, and it said on the day after they opened Space Mountain, they found kids with 50 rented wheelchairs all riding Space Mountain, to get through the line quicker.

MamaMolly
05-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Soooooo I must be twisted and sick in the head but I found this to be funny. Anyone who thinks they are a 1%er and goes around saying 'blah, blah, blah this is what we, the 1%ers do, blah, blah, blah' is a J.O.K.E. And *not* a 1%er. They are snots, however. ;)

And I want to add that I honestly think this is an awesome moneymaker for the handicapped people involved.

Tondi G
05-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Sadly, this does not surprise me. I have seen a TON of people who abuse the special assistance pass system.

TwinFoxes
05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Soooooo I must be twisted and sick in the head but I found this to be funny. Anyone who thinks they are a 1%er and goes around saying 'blah, blah, blah this is what we, the 1%ers do, blah, blah, blah' is a J.O.K.E. And *not* a 1%er. They are snots, however. ;)

I don't think that was a quote, it was just what the reporter called them. I'm about 50-50 over whether this is true. The Post is pretty tabloidy. And, even if it is true, just because 3 people on the upper east side do something doesn't mean it's a trend (despite what the NY papers think!)

Who the heck is waiting 2.5 hours for it's a small world?

megs4413
05-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I don't buy this as a "trend." Has someone somewhere at some time done it? Sure. Plenty of non-disabled people take advantage. BUT, really rich people who want the ultimate touring experience and to skip lines at Disney just pay for the VIP tours. Same concept, better service. Even I looked into it and if I had Upper East Side money, it would have been a no-brainer.

egoldber
05-14-2013, 05:41 PM
I didn't read the article, but anyone can hire a private guide at WDW and go to the head of the line. It's a service they have always offered.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/vip-tour-services/

gatorsmom
05-14-2013, 05:45 PM
And I want to add that I honestly think this is an awesome moneymaker for the handicapped people involved.

I'd agree except I suspect that people who take advantage of the rules which help the disabled probably don't care much about the disabled. So I doubt these rich moms are very considerate of their guides. :(

123LuckyMom
05-14-2013, 06:01 PM
I didn't read the article, but I just went to WDW with my mom in a scooter and using a stroller as wheelchair pass, because I have terrible back problems and cannot walk or stand without support. I also can't hold my baby in lines with or without a carrier. I can assure you that having a pass for a disability does not get you into shorter lines! Most of the lines are mainstreamed so that folks with disabilities wait in the exact same line. When you get to the end of the line, you often have to wait for special cars or additional help, and these waits can be loooong! In the lines that are not mainstreamed, the wait is often longer, and you don't get to experience the great theming of the regular line. (To get on Pirates of the Caribbean, for example, we went around the back by the dumpsters and through a typical metal door. The wait was also in full sun.)

Many people BELIEVE that being disabled gets you on the rides faster and that people are scamming the system. It's a shame, because people with real disabilities often get dirty looks. The truth is that having a disability anywhere, including at WDW, makes life more difficult, not less. My guess is that this article is entirely manufactured, because if it says what the OP says it says, it cannot be true. Having a disabled person in your party does not get you through the line faster or afford you any real special treatment. There would be no benefit to hiring a person in a wheelchair to accompany you to WDW. In fact, it could make your wait much longer and significantly more uncomfortable. A better plan would be to hire people to wait in line for you, or serve as fast pass runners, or dangle their babies around so your party can get a baby swap and ride twice with only one wait.

crl
05-14-2013, 06:08 PM
I didn't read the article, but I just went to WDW with my mom in a scooter and using a stroller as wheelchair pass, because I have terrible back problems and cannot walk or stand without support. I also can't hold my baby in lines with or without a carrier. I can assure you that having a pass for a disability does not get you into shorter lines! Most of the lines are mainstreamed so that folks with disabilities wait in the exact same line. When you get to the end of the line, you often have to wait for special cars or additional help, and these waits can be loooong! In the lines that are not mainstreamed, the wait is often longer, and you don't get to experience the great theming of the regular line. (To get on Pirates of the Caribbean, for example, we went around the back by the dumpsters and through a typical metal door. The wait was also in full sun.)

Many people BELIEVE that being disabled gets you on the rides faster and that people are scamming the system. It's a shame, because people with real disabilities often get dirty looks. The truth is that having a disability anywhere, including at WDW, makes life more difficult, not less. My guess is that this article is entirely manufactured, because if it says what the OP says it says, it cannot be true. Having a disabled person in your party does not get you through the line faster or afford you any real special treatment. There would be no benefit to hiring a person in a wheelchair to accompany you to WDW. In fact, it could make your wait much longer and significantly more uncomfortable. A better plan would be to hire people to wait in line for you, or serve as fast pass runners, or dangle their babies around so your party can get a baby swap and ride twice with only one wait.

Huh. MIL used a wheelchair (significant foot problems that have necessitated multiple surgeries) and on the few rides we went on with her we did go ahead in a separate line and it was much shorter. Just luck of the rides we happened to go on with her I guess?

Catherine

megs4413
05-14-2013, 06:17 PM

I *think* it really depends on if you have a GAC. Did you have one or were you just in an ECV?

For this story to be true (which I don't think it is), the tour guides would have to have GACs that specifically required them to have shorter wait times. I just don't buy it. Also, the info in the story about the VIP tour guides is wrong, so....yeah.

nicepersonfl
05-14-2013, 06:27 PM
You just have to rent a wheelchair or a scooter. I worked at Disney and we'd have people all the time who are using a wheelchair temporarily that would get to go to the front of the line. Get a fracture boot and rent a wheelchair - much cheaper people!

Yup - my Mom rents a scooter all the time. She has arthritis in her legs and can't walk the entire park. She can get out and ride most of the rides...and I will admit missing the majority of the lines is a nice perk.

123LuckyMom
05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
We did have a GAC. There are no GACs that enable shorter wait times. I know because I have a friend with an autistic son who had lots of trouble with lines and waits. The best they could do for her was a stroller as wheelchair so her son could be somewhat shielded from people.

I did read the article. Small World and Peter Pan were two rides that did have much shorter waits if there weren't many other disabled folks using that line. Other than those two, I honestly can't remember another ride where the wait was significantly shorter. Also, many of the lines did not allow scooters. My mom had to park her scooter and transfer to a wheelchair. It was a PITA, and took a bit of time. Also, for the shows, the disabled seating was usually in the very last row and not ideal.

megs4413
05-14-2013, 07:14 PM
We did have a GAC. There are no GACs that enable shorter wait times. I know because I have a friend with an autistic son who had lots of trouble with lines and waits. The best they could do for her was a stroller as wheelchair so her son could be somewhat shielded from people.

I did read the article. Small World and Peter Pan were two rides that did have much shorter waits if there weren't many other disabled folks using that line. Other than those two, I honestly can't remember another ride where the wait was significantly shorter. Also, many of the lines did not allow scooters. My mom had to park her scooter and transfer to a wheelchair. It was a PITA, and took a bit of time. Also, for the shows, the disabled seating was usually in the very last row and not ideal.

Just because you haven't had or heard of a GAC for a shorter wait time, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I just don't buy this article.

wellyes
05-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Just because you haven't had or heard of a GAC for a shorter wait time, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I just don't buy this article.
It is a woman trying to sell a book... anthropology is not a lucrative field these days. I do believe it's true, since they named the vendor that provided the service, but I'm sure we're talking about a handful of people.

megs4413
05-14-2013, 07:25 PM
It is a woman trying to sell a book... anthropology is not a lucrative field these days. I do believe it's true, since they named the vendor that provided the service, but I'm sure we're talking about a handful of people.

I just don't buy that the way they're bypassing the line is with a GAC for a disabled person. It seems more likely that they have CMs in on it. The small world line for the disabled just isn't that much shorter and they named that one specifically. I don't buy it. I think it has less to do with being disabled and more to do with having people on the inside looking to make a quick buck.

123LuckyMom
05-14-2013, 07:30 PM

Yes, that could be true, though if you ask on the DisABILITIES forum at the Disboards, they will tell you there is no such thing as a GAC for shorter waits.

It makes me angry and a bit defensive, because I think it is a widely held belief that those with GACs are scamming the system. I think Disney has worked hard to make sure almost everyone can enjoy Disney, but I also think they have worked hard to make the system fair. When you go on the Disboards there are many people who really need to use GACs who are afraid to do so because they think others will give them dirty looks, or think they are faking, or whatever. This article just makes it that much worse, so it angers me! The actual scammers anger me, too, of course.

megs4413
05-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes, that could be true, though if you ask on the DisABILITIES forum at the Disboards, they will tell you there is no such thing as a GAC for shorter waits.

It makes me angry and a bit defensive, because I think it is a widely held belief that those with GACs are scamming the system. I think Disney has worked hard to make sure almost everyone can enjoy Disney, but I also think they have worked hard to make the system fair. When you go on the Disboards there are many people who really need to use GACs who are afraid to do so because they think others will give them dirty looks, or think they are faking, or whatever. This article just makes it that much worse, so it angers me! The actual scammers anger me, too, of course.

Just to be clear, I don't think for a second that people who need GACs are scammers. It is my general experience that having a disability at Disney (or anywhere for that matter) is in no way an "advantage" which is why I don't buy that this scam comes down to a GAC for a shorter wait time. There must be CMs in on it to make it work. JMO!

scrooks
05-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Huh. MIL used a wheelchair (significant foot problems that have necessitated multiple surgeries) and on the few rides we went on with her we did go ahead in a separate line and it was much shorter. Just luck of the rides we happened to go on with her I guess?

Catherine

My aunt has MS and they claim they never wait in line....

lalasmama
05-14-2013, 09:00 PM
My aunt has MS and they claim they never wait in line....

I have MS as well, and we wait. Granted, it's often a little shorter of a wait (common to wait 20min instead of 40), but I've never experienced "no wait" with my GAC.

nicepersonfl
05-14-2013, 09:05 PM
I have MS as well, and we wait. Granted, it's often a little shorter of a wait (common to wait 20min instead of 40), but I've never experienced "no wait" with my GAC.

This was our experience too with my Mom in a scooter. Peter Pan, Small World - different waiting line, but still a wait. Other rides there was a significantly shorter wait - depending on the time of day, almost no wait at all.

westwoodmom04
05-14-2013, 09:19 PM
I've heard from a fairly reliable source that there is actually some underground access to some of the rides at Disney for the truly famous VIP guests. Anybody once work there who can confirm?

HannaAddict
05-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Is this any different than the regular "concierges" that are about $1,800 for either 8-10 people? My husband's colleague just did this a couple of months ago, I'd never heard of it before, then suddenly read a few articles about it in the paper and online. It seemed ridiculous but wasn't for handicapped, just for people that could afford it. They went with another family and that family had it all arranged so they went along with it and said it was great and they were able to go on a weekend and skip the lines and go on anything and everything. Are the ones for handicapped cheaper? Their service also came with a bit of a behind the scenes tour and some other perks. I thought it was totally crazy but then seemed like everyone was doing it ('everyone' being a couple families from our school too over spring break and they raved about it, and the news articles). I guess once word gets out, the lines will be long for the 1% too. Crazy.

HannaAddict
05-14-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't buy this as a "trend." Has someone somewhere at some time done it? Sure. Plenty of non-disabled people take advantage. BUT, really rich people who want the ultimate touring experience and to skip lines at Disney just pay for the VIP tours. Same concept, better service. Even I looked into it and if I had Upper East Side money, it would have been a no-brainer.

Just saw your post after I posted - this must be what our friends did that I was unaware of and then heard multiple families discussing doing it this spring.

megs4413
05-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Just saw your post after I posted - this must be what our friends did that I was unaware of and then heard multiple families discussing doing it this spring.

We genuinely considered it for a day at MK, but it was just too rich for our blood. Really, though, it's not that bad if you split it with two families for just one day. I think you can plan a trip well enough to make the difference minute, but some people have the money and prefer the convenience.

HannaAddict
05-14-2013, 09:44 PM
We genuinely considered it for a day at MK, but it was just too rich for our blood. Really, though, it's not that bad if you split it with two families for just one day. I think you can plan a trip well enough to make the difference minute, but some people have the money and prefer the convenience.

That is what my husband said - he didn't think it was totally nuts if you split it with another family. This did enable his colleague to go down for a weekend and miss limited work time, and in his business, at his level, his time is worth more money than the money they could save waiting in line during an off peak, non-weekend time. I still feel like it would seem extravagant.

maestramommy
05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Just saw this on FB. Lame.

hellokitty
05-14-2013, 09:50 PM
DH's co-worker's grandson had a broken leg during their WDW trip a few months ago. Their entire extended family got to cut in line (like 12 ppl). I know that disney probably is afraid to question ppl too much about their disabilities, for legal reasons. There are also ppl who bring small toy-sized dogs to WDW and while some ppl say that they are, "therapy dogs," and so you see ppl with tiny dogs at WDW and just by looking at some of these ppl, it doesn't look like they have a disability, but of course, they could have one. I think it would be easy for ppl to fake it if they really wanted to do it. Frankly, I'm not surprised that ppl do this and that someone offers this as a service.

Sweetum
05-14-2013, 09:59 PM
It's interesting how this topic has turned :)
DS has Autism, but does great in lines and we did not get the special pass last time we were there.
It's funny how people like us want to do things the "normal" way and then there are people who just don't get it and think everything can be bought...IF this story is true...and whether this story is true or not I'm sure there are people who have done something like this...I wonder though what they would want to do if someone in their family really did have a disability...

justlearning
05-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Interesting. We went to Disneyworld for my DS's Make a Wish trip and were given a special pass that allowed us to take him in the line for those with disabilities. (He was weakened from chemo then and wore out easily, so that pass was a huge blessing.) We were there the beginning of March and were able to get onto most rides within 5 minutes. Having experienced that, DH and I don't think we'd ever want to go back and have to wait in the long lines that we were able to bypass then.

So I can definitely see why it'd be tempting to pay for the VIP tour if you have the means to do so, but like a PP said, if more people do that, soon those lines will become longer too. I do think it's horrible for people to pretend to have a disabled family member when they don't--whether they're doing it by renting a scooter for someone who doesn't need or it by paying someone to pose as their family member.

kbud
05-14-2013, 10:15 PM
A relative of mine has been declared legally disabled (whether I think she is or should be is another discussion). She for many, many years gets (or demands) a disabled pass from Disney. She visits the parks often and has gotten this pass for many, many years. She is not in a wheelchair nor used a scooter. I live in FL and have visited Disney with her many times. Her pass allows 6 people to use an alternate entrance to each ride. Many she enters through the exit and go pretty much right on, others she uses the FP line. We've never waited more than 10 min for a ride with her pass. It makes me sick actually as I question her "disability". She is very proud of her pass and brags about it and her "disability". I am embarrassed when with her using the pass and am never sure how to handle it. Disney has never questioned her need for it though.

This article doesn't surprise me at all. I am actually surprised my relative isn't one if these guides! Heck at least if she was she'd be earning an income instead of receiving disability benefits and doing nothing (except she is always well enough to visit Disney). Ugh!!!

anonomom
05-14-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm actually in wdw right now, and from what I've observed this article doesn't ring true. I mean, you have to try hard to find a time when it's a small world has a 45 minute wait; never mind 2.5 hours. And if a relatively low-profile ride has that kind of line, I'd imagine the whole park would be a miserable experience because people would be packed in like sardines. Seems like it would be easier and more efficient to go at a less crowded time of year and spend $20 on a Touringplans.com subscription. It seems odd that anybody more than a tiny minority would hire a disabled guide for GAC access.

Fwiw, it sure doesn't seem like being in a scooter or a wheelchair here is much fun. I don't think i would willingly trade freedom of motion for shorter wait times.

edurnemk
05-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Well, yes, it is despicable, but also somewhat ridiculous. If they are that wealthy they could just rent a scooter and achieve the same goal. Also, you can't go on every ride if you are in a wheelchair. Space Mountain comes to mind. I guess it would work for some rides and shows, but not everything. Also, your person in the wheelchair may need to transfer into some of the rides. I find this almost laughable. They think they are "pulling one over" on Disney. People have used these tactics for years without paying an arm and a leg. You just have to rent a wheelchair or a scooter. I worked at Disney and we'd have people all the time who are using a wheelchair temporarily that would get to go to the front of the line. Get a fracture boot and rent a wheelchair - much cheaper people!

DH's co-worker's grandson had a broken leg during their WDW trip a few months ago. Their entire extended family got to cut in line (like 12 ppl). I know that disney probably is afraid to question ppl too much about their disabilities, for legal reasons. There are also ppl who bring small toy-sized dogs to WDW and while some ppl say that they are, "therapy dogs," and so you see ppl with tiny dogs at WDW and just by looking at some of these ppl, it doesn't look like they have a disability, but of course, they could have one. I think it would be easy for ppl to fake it if they really wanted to do it. Frankly, I'm not surprised that ppl do this and that someone offers this as a service.

A few years ago, around 15 IIRC, my brother had surgery on his leg right before our trip to WDW. He couldn't walk more than a few steps so we rented a wheelchair, not only was my dad questioned in detail about the reason for my brother needing a wheelchair, but they even asked to see the scar, they had him remove the bandages and everything, to make sure it was the real deal. I don't know if things have changed, but just renting a wheelchair wouldn't ncessarily be possible.

mom2binsd
05-14-2013, 10:23 PM
I have a friend who's child uses a wheelchair, however, they do not feel that entitles them to get on a ride any faster. She feels that their family should have to wait just like every other family (and although they might need to use a different physical entrance, they should not get on any faster).

I tend to agree with her thinking. I do think in very special circumstances (like the PP whose child was there via Make a Wish) that health considerations need to be addressed.

However, going to Disney and shorter lines is not a RIGHT, this friend with a child who uses a wheelchair said everyone pays to get in (and it's not cheap) and there shouldn't be special privileges for someone who is in a wheelchair OTHER than access to get on the ride.

I work with Special needs children and am very aware of all of the barriers and limitations that this presents in everyday life. I can't think of any of the children I've worked with whose families ever felt like they were entitled to special treatment, they just want equal access.

I think the story is quite inflamatory and is meant to cause a stir and will only make it more difficult for those who need equal access.

lalasmama
05-14-2013, 10:24 PM
SO and I were discussing this over dinner, and I now am crying BS on the article... *Why* would a 1%er be out and around bragging about it, and telling it to a media source known for "interesting" stories? And the VIP tours that Disney does *can* have front-of-the-line priviledges, or darn near it. And if they could be walking around with an employee, who has significantly more clout than a person in a scooter... why would they choose the person in the scooter, who is a "nobody" (no more or less than anyone at Disney), when they could pay $200 more, and get more? It's not like $200 is going to make or break them, ya know?

smilequeen
05-14-2013, 10:35 PM
I call BS too. All they get is shorter waits??? and they get to be A+ jerks by abusing a system in place to help people who actually need it? At the risk of being judged...we've done the VIP thing a few times. While you do NOT get to skip lines (maybe some super duper famous VIPs do? but we were in line with some B listers :)), you get an automatic fastpass for everything. They drive you around and you get to park right next to the entrance and walk in. You also get primo seats for the parades, the shows, etc. The boys got to participate in the Lion King show. The guide made all of our dining reservations, even last minute you'll get into things that people have to call way in advance to get. They give the kids stuffed animals and toys in the morning. Go buy you drinks while you are on rides. Park the stroller. Heck, our kids have loved the tour guides and they would watch them if they weren't tall enough for a ride. So, it wouldn't make sense to do it the way the article is saying they do.

Now...my brother is really good friends (from college) with one of Michael Eisner's sons. He was still the CEO when they were in college and they all went to WDW and I know they didn't have to wait in any lines at all. But I'm not sure if the access was underground...I'd have to ask ;)

anonomom
05-14-2013, 10:51 PM
I call BS too. All they get is shorter waits??? and they get to be A+ jerks by abusing a system in place to help people who actually need it? At the risk of being judged...we've done the VIP thing a few times. While you do NOT get to skip lines (maybe some super duper famous VIPs do? but we were in line with some B listers :)), you get an automatic fastpass for everything. They drive you around and you get to park right next to the entrance and walk in. You also get primo seats for the parades, the shows, etc. The boys got to participate in the Lion King show. The guide made all of our dining reservations, even last minute you'll get into things that people have to call way in advance to get. They give the kids stuffed animals and toys in the morning. Go buy you drinks while you are on rides. Park the stroller. Heck, our kids have loved the tour guides and they would watch them if they weren't tall enough for a ride. So, it wouldn't make sense to do it the way the article is saying they do.
Now...my brother is really good friends (from college) with one of Michael Eisner's sons. He was still the CEO when they were in college and they all went to WDW and I know they didn't have to wait in any lines at all. But I'm not sure if the access was underground...I'd have to ask ;)

if you don't mind me asking, how much do tours like that cost? I would gladly trade my beloved Contemporary Resort for a value if it would cover the cost of a VIP guide.

lalasmama
05-14-2013, 10:58 PM
if you don't mind me asking, how much do tours like that cost? I would gladly trade my beloved Contemporary Resort for a value if it would cover the cost of a VIP guide.

$315-$380/hr, with a minimum of 6 or 8 hours (can't remember). I looked at those prices just today on the disney site.

niccig
05-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I work with Special needs children and am very aware of all of the barriers and limitations that this presents in everyday life. I can't think of any of the children I've worked with whose families ever felt like they were entitled to special treatment, they just want equal access.

I think the story is quite inflamatory and is meant to cause a stir and will only make it more difficult for those who need equal access.

A friend's DS has Downs Syndrome and she has commented on a good thing being going to front of line. She wouldn't abuse it. I do think it helps her DS to not wait so long, as that's difficult for him to do, and makes it more difficult for her.

Thatchermom
05-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Disney with a wheelchair is a trade off- shorter wait times for dramatically slower movement about the park. Depending on the situation you may get to do more, but not necessarily. I can't imagine extremely wealthy people paying to move like molasses.

I think that not all GACs are created equal and may explain why people have different experiences. The CM at city hall last summer gave my mom hers then realized it was her own personal, permanent wheelchair, not a rental, and switched it to something different. We hardly waited anytime at any attraction. Doing Disney with a physically limited person does show you a whole other side of their magical service. With one exception their care for our family was fantastic. We did, however, struggle to move through the at-capacity park and found it really hard to seat 5 and a wheelchair at meals. And pre-hurricane rains make for one puddly seat...

dogmom
05-15-2013, 08:31 AM
OK, so some disabled person get some cash and some people get to jump in front of lines at Disney. The obvious question is this an urban myth or blown out of proportion. Then the Disney hater in me in me wants to scream from the roof tops, "You get pissed off at this, but still give buckets of $$ to the corporation that is destroying intellectual free thought by constantly extended copyright laws?"

Yes, I know I am a freak because I don't worship Disney and don't want to go there.

AngB
05-15-2013, 09:23 AM
OK, so some disabled person get some cash and some people get to jump in front of lines at Disney. The obvious question is this an urban myth or blown out of proportion.

I would say at the very least it's blown out of proportion. Or maybe it's just a slow news week? In any case, this story was on our local news. In Missouri.

TwoBees
05-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Ugh. But it doesn't surprise me.

And I agree with the PP who said that the "1%ers" in the article are not really 1%ers because those who are don't brag about it.

TwinFoxes
05-15-2013, 03:12 PM

This is exactly why I think it's probably BS. It's not like there's not a BETTER system in place, that can be had for a few bucks more. And if they really are incredibly wealthy, why not just spend more money for a better experience? Are they really thinking "I have so much money that I will hire someone for access, but I want to save a couple hundred bucks and do it the slimey way with fewer perks".

I think the anthropologist didn't know about the VIP tours, because that's a serious flaw in the story. She may not be making it up, she may have heard about it, and took an urban legend to be fact.

megs4413
05-15-2013, 04:33 PM
This is exactly why I think it's probably BS. It's not like there's not a BETTER system in place, that can be had for a few bucks more. And if they really are incredibly wealthy, why not just spend more money for a better experience? Are they really thinking "I have so much money that I will hire someone for access, but I want to save a couple hundred bucks and do it the slimey way with less perks".

I think the anthropologist didn't know about the VIP tours, because that's a serious flaw in the story. She may not be making it up, she may have heard about it, and took an urban legend to be fact.

my thoughts exactly!

janine
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Also thought BS when I first read this but then the story was spreading like wildfire. The link is from the NY Post though, with headlines designed to infuriate.

nicepersonfl
05-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I've heard from a fairly reliable source that there is actually some underground access to some of the rides at Disney for the truly famous VIP guests. Anybody once work there who can confirm?

There is an entire underground tunnel system through Disney - almost an entire city. Yes, certain famous VIP guests have been escorted through certain areas for appearances, thought I have no 1st hand knowledge of rides/other park entertainment...though I don't see why not if they are famous enough. And yes, I did work at WDW in a performance capacity.

Gena
05-16-2013, 11:46 AM
I don't think it really matters whether or not this particular story is true.

What does matter is that the GACs at Disney and similar programs at other amusement parks do get abused by people who do not have disabilities. It matters that many members of the general public are aware of this abuse and therefore distrust, disbelieve, insult, and harass people with non-visible debilitates who legitimately use these programs. It matters that this often causes the parks to change their programs in ways in ways that discourage abuse, but make things more difficult for disabled individuals and their families.

We don't go to Disney parks. But DS loves to go to other amusement parks and we make use of their special boarding systems for people with disabilities. We also only go at certain times of year and certain days, when crowds are smaller and lines are shorter. DS can only spend a limited amount of time in the park before his sensory issues overwhelm him, his vision fails, and fatigue sets in. In the past, the special boarding passes at our local amusement park have greatly decreased our wait time on the more popular rides and made it possible for him to fully enjoy his time at the park. And since DS could take 3 riding companions with him, his cousins were eager to spend time with him, which (sadly) is not the usual case.

Our local amusement park changed their system for special boarding passes this year, due to both real abuses and public perception. I've already heard bad things about these changes from other local parents. So this year, instead of looking forward to going to the amusement park, DH and I are dreading it.

mommy111
05-16-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't think it really matters whether or not this particular story is true.

What does matter is that the GACs at Disney and similar programs at other amusement parks do get abused by people who do not have disabilities. It matters that many members of the general public are aware of this abuse and therefore distrust, disbelieve, insult, and harass people with non-visible debilitates who legitimately use these programs. It matters that this often causes the parks to change their programs in ways in ways that discourage abuse, but make things more difficult for disabled individuals and their families.

We don't go to Disney parks. But DS loves to go to other amusement parks and we make use of their special boarding systems for people with disabilities. We also only go at certain times of year and certain days, when crowds are smaller and lines are shorter. DS can only spend a limited amount of time in the park before his sensory issues overwhelm him, his vision fails, and fatigue sets in. In the past, the special boarding passes at our local amusement park have greatly decreased our wait time on the more popular rides and made it possible for him to fully enjoy his time at the park. And since DS could take 3 riding companions with him, his cousins were eager to spend time with him, which (sadly) is not the usual case.

Our local amusement park changed their system for special boarding passes this year, due to both real abuses and public perception. I've already heard bad things about these changes from other local parents. So this year, instead of looking forward to going to the amusement park, DH and I are dreading it.
This. This is why some stupid newspaper should think 4 times aout publicizing a story that sounds like its not very true (and the story is on CNN today). It makes my blood boil to think that people with real diabilities have to suffer because the media blows some probably smal instances of abuse waaay out of proportion