PDA

View Full Version : I hate canker sores!!!!!

wendibird22
05-14-2013, 04:09 PM
With a passion!!!!

I've always had them since as far back as I can remember. Huge. Raw. Painful. A year and a half ago when I embarked on my GF journey I discovered that they were becoming less and less frequent and eventually if one did appear it never got big and would be gone in a day or two. Well, who knows what is going on but I've had 2 back to back over the past 2 weeks. One on the inside of my upper lip and as soon as that was just about healed now one on the inside of my lower lip and I've had that one since May 8 and it just won't go away. My diet hasn't changed though I always have the risk of cross contamination since my house isn't GF. I pack DD1s school lunch and get the kids breakfast daily so I'm forever touching bread, toast, waffles, etc. But, gah, these 2 sores just really reminded me how much canker sores SUCK!

Mermanaid
05-14-2013, 04:12 PM
I get them and totally hate them too. Maybe a bit of stress?

Zilactin is my friend when I have a bad breakout. Hope yours go away soon.

minnie-zb
05-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry they really, really hurt. I've had them so bad it makes the whole side of my head hurt. It hurts to talk, etc.

I had one that was so bad I went to see a doctor (I was in that much pain). He treated it with silver nitrate and it hurt for another 24 hours and it went away after that. My dentist was very impressed the doctor knew to do this.

theriviera
05-14-2013, 04:22 PM
I hear you, I have one now too. It's horrible. Is there anything we can do to make it go away faster?

Tondi G
05-14-2013, 05:26 PM
I used to get them frequently but have been lucky as of the last 8 years I would say. It seems my little guy has inherited getting them from his mama.

One thing that seemed to help me some was taking L-Lysine on a regular basis.

BunnyBee
05-14-2013, 07:50 PM
My DH gets bad ones too. I switched to an SLS-free toothpaste and it has made a huge, huge difference. He thought I was crazy but it's been months since he has had any. The last batch he had, I ordered Squigle toothpaste off amazon prime to kick them, but Kiss My Face has been working after that. I hope they're gone soon!

Aishe
05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I second the Zilactin recommendation. My dentist recently prescribed a triamcinolone paste (a corticosteroid) for oral use, which has been helpful. I totally empathize. I get them in my throat, which is the absolute worst.

sntm
05-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Agree with SLS free toothpaste. And Debachol. Dentist applies it, hurts like a muther for a few minutes and then blissfully dead until healed

KpbS
05-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Yes, to avoiding SLS toothpaste but for me, also any tartar control or whitening paste made it SO much worse. Too abrasive.

Also, I've found mine improve greatly when I floss at least twice daily, followed by a gentle rinse.

I'm sorry! They are simply awful!

wendibird22
05-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks all for the commiseration! I've been using SLS free toothpaste for over a year (Rembrandt C canker sore version which actually is now called Rembrandt G gentle and I had to find it online cause no stores have started stocking the repackaged version yet). No increase in stress. No other sickness. No changes in any personal care products (make up, shampoo, lotion...most if not all is GF). I think it's just a hazard of a shared kitchen.

I picked up some l-lysine this morning. For those of you who take it, do you just take it daily like a maintenance vitamin or only when you feel a sore starting? I also upped my B12 intake. I took it daily when I first went GF and then scaled back to 1-2x a week but got out of the habit and hadn't taken it in quite a while.

Last night it hurt so bad it almost brought tears to my eyes. Today it's a bit better. Hoping I'm past the worst of it and that this is the last bugger for a while.

KLD313
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
I had a bad one that just happened to be when I was at the periodontist for a cleaning. He prescribed something for it that was made in a compound pharmacy and it worked really well. It numbed it. I think there was lidocaine in it and something else. Maybe ask your dentist in case it happens in the future?

Tondi G
05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks all for the commiseration! I've been using SLS free toothpaste for over a year (Rembrandt C canker sore version which actually is now called Rembrandt G gentle and I had to find it online cause no stores have started stocking the repackaged version yet). No increase in stress. No other sickness. No changes in any personal care products (make up, shampoo, lotion...most if not all is GF). I think it's just a hazard of a shared kitchen.

I picked up some l-lysine this morning. For those of you who take it, do you just take it daily like a maintenance vitamin or only when you feel a sore starting? I also upped my B12 intake. I took it daily when I first went GF and then scaled back to 1-2x a week but got out of the habit and hadn't taken it in quite a while.

Last night it hurt so bad it almost brought tears to my eyes. Today it's a bit better. Hoping I'm past the worst of it and that this is the last bugger for a while.

I am pretty sure I took the l-lysine every day. Found this article about some other supplements you might want to consider

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditions/canker-sores.htm

jal
05-21-2013, 09:57 AM
I used to occationally get canker sores. I noticed that once I started using listerine on a daily basis, I quit getting them. Then when I went though a period that I quit using listerine, I got a few canker sores again.

So now I'm a regular user of the orage flavor listerine, and I've never gotten a canker sore when I've used listerine.

Now I will admit that at first, listerine was so strong that I used to water it down. It took a while before I could use it full strength without it bothering me.

chlobo
05-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I think you can also gargle the l-lysine to help. Empty a capsule into water and swish in your mouth.

wendibird22
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I did start taking the l-lysine. Gosh that's a horse pill!

The sore did finally stop hurting and is healing but man, here it is 13 days later and I still have a white sore the size of a pea. I'm just grateful that it doesn't hurt any longer.

ttownfrogs
05-21-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry, I know how terrible they are. Occassionally I get them when I'm stressed out. Mine don't get big, but I've had as many as 23 at one time. I couldn't eat or talk. I hope they clear up for you soon.