PDA

View Full Version : DH doesn't get it

niccig
05-14-2013, 04:59 PM
I've lived half a world away from my family for 12 years. I agree with DH it's lame that my parents won't visit and when we go there, they are so busy they hardly spend time with us. A friend just had a mad dash to mid-West to see her dying mother, she got there in time. Made me realize, my chances of getting to Australia in time are not good - not as many flights, 17 hours travel time, screwed if I can't get a flight that day.

I told DH that as annoying as lack of effort is by my parents, I'm not going 2.5 years again between visits. That means, we're going to Australia most summers. He complains about traveling there taking up all our vacation time. He doesn't have to go, DS and I are going alone this summer and we can keep doing that. I'll use miles as often as I can to keep cost down and I'm working part-time. I need to do this for me.

And if he keeps complaining about it, well then, maybe it's time to move there and have him experience living on other-side of world. If I mention that to MIL, she'll tell DH to quit complaining and get on plane to Oz every 12-18 months :innocent:

MamaMolly
05-14-2013, 05:18 PM
If a person has never lived far, far, far away from family they just DON'T get it. And I'm kind of with your MIL on this one. :)

Philly Mom
05-14-2013, 05:40 PM
He really doesn't get it. We spend all of our vacation time heading to the UK. We go twice a year. DH loves his parents, we live here. Visiting is a small sacrifice in time and budget. Do not feel guilty for going as often as you want.

hillview
05-14-2013, 08:20 PM
we go see DH's mom and SIL and BIL at least once a year in UK. It takes most of my vacation time (we add extra time since it takes a while to get there although NOTHING like Oz). I am not a big fan of MIL, SIL and BIL but they are family and it is important to DH and I do ALL (like every single shread) of planning to get there because it is important to DH.

Philly Mom
05-14-2013, 08:26 PM
we go see DH's mom and SIL and BIL at least once a year in UK. It takes most of my vacation time (we add extra time since it takes a while to get there although NOTHING like Oz). I am not a big fan of MIL, SIL and BIL but they are family and it is important to DH and I do ALL (like every single shread) of planning to get there because it is important to DH.

I do all the planning for us to go to the UK too. I think it is a woman thing.

hillview
05-14-2013, 08:30 PM
I do all the planning for us to go to the UK too. I think it is a woman thing.
Ha! we should trade notes!

Philly Mom
05-15-2013, 05:24 PM
I know! You have older kids. I am tucking this away for next march when we will be traveling with 2 kids to the UK for the 1st time.

fedoragirl
05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
I can understand your point of view, OP. Boy can I understand it.
Like your family, mine does not spend much time with us when we are there. My dad tries but he is working full time and travels a lot too. My mom just doesn't understand the concept of kids. She doesn't know how to interact with them and this woman is a teacher!
So DH complains about spending time there. I can barely stand it myself.
But he better not start complaining about visiting every year. I would move back if I can't even visit every year. I get to go twice this year which is wonderful for the kids and for me. DH comes when he can or I go alone. I am willing to brave a 15 hour trip with two toddlers for the joy of spending time at "home."
I don't think anyone can understand how it is when you live so far away from everything you hold dear.