PDA

View Full Version : Canada vs Mexico?

lalasmama
05-14-2013, 06:02 PM
We're getting closer to DD's adoption. I've always said that once it goes through and I can get a passport for her, I'm taking her across a country border, just because I can. (FTR, for the last 6 years, I've had to get permission any time I wanted to cross state lines, which is a pain when you consider my dad lives 30 minutes away... and over a state line!)... It was either taking her across a country border or tattooing her ;) Just *some* way to "lay claim" that she's *mine*, and something I couldn't do before the adoption.

So, here's my totally silly question.

Would you choose to cross into Mexico, or Canada?

We have family near each border (one north of Seattle, one in southern Arizona).

AnnieW625
05-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Canada. It is just safer! If I were doing Mexico I would do a cruise. DH though sometimes has to work at the CA/Mexico border and he has no complaints about the truckers he has worked with, but in general Mexico is off limits for our family because DH says "his family left for a reason and he sees zero need to go back, even for a cruise or a trip to a resort town."

crl
05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Canada because I would feel safer.

And I totally know how you feel. We baptized ds and had a big old party. And we did a big first birthday party for dd. both were secretly me saying these kids are MINE.

Catherine

ellies mom
05-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Another vote for Canada. The last time we went, we took the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, spent a couple of nights, then took the ferry to Vancouver, spent a couple of nights and then drove home via Seattle. We had a great time. The border crossing we went through on the way home has a cool little monument that could be great for pictures.

rlu
05-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Canada - maybe Victoria? The gardens there are worth the trip (DS enjoyed the Butterfly gardens much more than we expected).

trales
05-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Victoria is AMA zing. There is so much to do. Vancouver is great too.

T

citymama
05-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Oh, Canada! For the first crossover, definitely.

elektra
05-14-2013, 07:38 PM
I personally would do Canada, especially for just a long weekend "just to go" type of thing.
Mexico can be nice for a tropical kind of vacation to Puerto Vallarta or Cabo or Playa Del Carmen, but I personally prefer to just go to Hawaii for that.

MamaMolly
05-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Canada, just because of the safety issue alone. Plus Canada ROCKS.

StantonHyde
05-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Vancouver or Victoria. Or go to Banff!

ABO Mama
05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Canada is easier to go over and back by car. Mexico would involve a plane or ship to get to a resort. It depends on the kind of trip you want to do.

hillview
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Canada unless you are going to fly. I'd avoid Mexico boarder crossing personally.

MMMommy
05-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Canada!

edurnemk
05-14-2013, 10:26 PM
I would avoid the north part of Mexico, that's really the unsafe part. So if the north is your only option, I say Canada.

smilequeen
05-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Just driving across? Canada. No question. Driving across the border into Mexico is not safe.

Now if you're flying to Mexico to stay at a resort on the beach I might pick that, but a border town, no way.

Plus, Vancouver is awesome :)

3blackcats
05-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Canada, just because of the safety issue alone. Plus Canada ROCKS.

:yeahthat: