PDA

View Full Version : She FREAKED about the bottle.....

Mopey
05-14-2013, 10:42 PM
(This got long, sorry.)

Today I took Miss Mopey to meet her new cousin! (Due to her getting a cold the day he came home and then giving it to me, and then work, she hasn't been able to visit yet.) Mopey seemed absolutely fine watching me with the baby and she was sweet with him. Definitely curious but not immediately upset or bothered or anything. She was more reluctant to go to the laundry with my mom than I've ever seen her though.....

And when she got back! I was giving my nephew a little bottle so my sis could pump (having trouble BF just like me :() and when the Miss saw us she freaked out!!!! Crying, crying, loud and tears and just distraught. My mom tried to do milk in her sippy cup and give it to her a little baby style.....She calmed down but I think she really misses the bottle.....And she was tired today.....

But this kind of tacks onto a question about her eating: Mopey has a good, robust appetite. Eats everything, no allergies, we are so lucky I know! But she EATS. She has three pretty big meals a day, all sorts of food now, and about 16 oz of milk. What I have noticed is that whenever she sees food she gets all jammed in and wants it. Even if she's just eaten a mountain of lunch, etc. It's pretty much consistent. But if it's not around she's okay. For example when we were in the store the other day she got all angst-y seeing the happy baby pouches but once we moved on she was fine.

Is that normal? Any btdt? I mean, it's impossible to eat around her if she's not eating without her whimpering for your food .... FWIW, she is tall and lean like my hubby - no baby chub anywhere but her cheeks :)

Thanks SO much if you got this far!! :bowdown:

chozen
05-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Our dd is five and still wants bites of our food even if she has just finished her meal, she's a mooch!

ArizonaGirl
05-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Yes, it is so with us too. DS is 4 and only weighs 32 lbs and is 41" so a peanut and the other night ate a quarter pound burger, 2 helpings of baked beans, and a gogurt.

Then he wanted my granola snack...

Bottomless pit, I swear

123LuckyMom
05-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Only whimpers? My DD screams "Me me me me me me me me" incessantly until she gets some, and it's often with drinks as well as food. She doesn't eat as well as Miss Mopey, but she's a mighty imperious food demander. She's 13.5 months. Either she will grow out of it, or she'll become old enough for behavior modification, but, for now, she often gets what she wants.

BabyBearsMom
05-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Totally normal. I haven't had a bite of food without sharing it in 3 years and now I have two little monsters to share it with. DD1 is a picky water and only seems to want to eat what I am eating. DD2 is an indiscriminate eater and wants everything in site. She is very aware if any inequity (god forbid DD1 gets more food than her or something DD2 can't have, I didn't know 1 yo babies could tantrum like that). So in short, very normal.

Mopey
05-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Thank you ladies :) I am laughing picturing all these demanding little tyrants :hysterical:

I guess I will have to get better at sharing ;)

psimpson3-5
05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm so glad you asked this. DS has just very recently, maybe within the last 8-10 days or so, doing this EXACT same thing. And this boy can EAT. For example, MIL and FIL care for DS on Fridays, and they always are shocked about how much he eats. Lately, if I'm preparing food, he freaks out if I don't get it to him fast enough. Even if he has food and I'm eating my own meal. He wants what I'm eating!

June Mommy2
05-15-2013, 12:07 PM
My dd is the same age, and she definitely wants to eat if we are eating (see my thread in Kid Food about how many puffs we go through!) She signs "more" at the grocery store when she sees the puff containers (and has also signed "more" for the Clorox wipes container or Bar Keepers Friend b/c the canisters look similar!) She does have a dairy allergy so we can't always give her what we are having. I'm just impressed that your dd will drink from a sippy cup, we are still working on that.

lizzywednesday
05-15-2013, 12:20 PM
As a kid, I ate constantly. (I was skinny and tall ... and it didn't catch up to me 'til puberty, though I think that was less about my eating habits and more about my (inevitable) activity dropoff.)

Now, at 3, DD will have the exact.same.dinner as DH and I but she will STILL crawl onto my lap & pick off my plate.

Fine. More incentive to make more healthful dinners.

Anyway, with DD now I've realized her grocery store issues are more about how she perceives her "routine" when we grocery shop - when we go to Trader Joe's, for example, she needs to have her banana and then check the demo station at the back of the produce section; at checkout, she has to have her stickers - so, if it's not going to hurt anything, I just kind of roll with it.

Sorry I'm no help with the bottle thing - we didn't do a lot of bottle-feeds so she's not as attached to the bottle as bottle-fed kids might be. (Though I admit that it was a PITB to fully wean!!!)

flashy09
05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
My 17 month old wants everything I eat no matter how full she is. That is why drive thru Panera is my best friend!