PDA

View Full Version : Interview coaching?

theriviera
05-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Has anyone ever used an interview coach? Was it helpful? How did you find him/her? A friend of mine is looking for a job. She has a great resume but is in a bad place emotionally about her job search and I'm worried that it's coming across in her interviews (i've gotten that feedback from connections i've made for her). I think though, that it would be more helpful to get feedback from a neutral 3rd party.

And while in most cases, I would stay out of it, she is asking for my help in networking.

Thanks.

hillview
05-15-2013, 07:35 AM
humm I was going to suggest some practice interviews with people she isn't interviewing but given the emotional stuff a coach might be a great idea. No BTDT with a coach. Sorry!

gatorsmom
05-15-2013, 09:33 AM
She should look for a professional recruiter that specializes in her field. One way to find one is in professional publications in her field of expertise. I think it would be free for her since the recruiter would be trying to place her. So its on the recruiters best interest to spruce her up, so to speak. If she doesn't know of or there aren't any publications geared for her line of work, she could start by calling a temporary agency. She should ask if they have a professional placement division. If they don't ask them if they know of a temp agency that does. Or ask if they outright know of a recruiter that could help place her. They might even know of an interview coach. She should just keep asking questions until she gets a name of a recruiter who could help her.

The last place I would look is for an Outplacement agency. They do have people who specializing in helping professionals prepare resumes, network, find jobs, etc., but they are expensive and in this case they would charge the applicant, NOT the company the applicant is placed with. So I'd definitely try the first route first.

mom3boys
05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Sorry, no BTDT either but I have been working with a recruiter for one of the job openings I am pursuing and she has been enormously helpful for interview prep. I've worked with other recruiters but this one is the most hands on and helpful of all of them. She prepped me for 45 minutes for a 30 minute PHONE interview. Basically, if I didn't do well on the phone interview with this one HR person I wouldn't have gone for in-person interview. The interview went great, and they asked me same day for my availability for in-person. I will be prepping again with the recruiter before I go in for in-person. I've already realized some mistakes I've made in previous interviews (for other jobs) now, having worked with her.

So, is your friend working with a recruiter at all--I know it's not possible for a lot of positions but I think it would be helpful. Obviously the recruiter doesn't get paid unless I get the job so it is in her best interest to help me.

The general rules I know are maintain good eye contact, don't wear perfume, and make sure to ask people interviewing you about themselves (if the opportunity arises), people like to talk about themselves.

If the job description is very specific, make sure you touch on your experience in those areas, a priori in the interview (like, every example you give of previous work experience ties back to their needs, basically). Also, look up the "STAR" method of interview questions (can Google it), and practice some of those types of Q&As with friends--particularly if there are friends who are in HR or interview candidates a lot in their job.

I don't think an interview coach is a bad idea--however hopefully your friend knows someone who has used one and could recommend one, I wouldn't just want to look someone up in the phonebook (aka the web)

mjs64
05-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Is she an alum of a university with a career center? They should be able to help her practice or to recommend someone to practice with.

theriviera
05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I will pass it on. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize how she is coming across so this will be a delicate conversation.

mom3boys
05-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I will pass it on. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize how she is coming across so this will be a delicate conversation.

The job market is so tough right now, maybe it will be easier to make whatever suggestions just by first acknowledging that fact(like: it's not you--everyone needs interview help!). Unless she has some obvious flaw that is specific to her that she herself wouldn't recognize (crazy hand gestures, odd speaking manner, or something) then, yes that would be a delicate conversation.

mommy111
05-15-2013, 10:24 PM
have her practice with friends and then give her feedback