PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the ends of a loaf of bread?

TwoBees
05-15-2013, 09:24 AM
This is really silly and random, but DH was about to throw some out last night so it got me thinking. What do YOU do with the ends of a loaf of bread?

DH throws them out. I try to eat them but sandwiches never taste right with the ends. :(

janine
05-15-2013, 09:30 AM
I throw them! My mother would probably eat them though, she will never throw anything out (says it's wasteful)..unless it is green and even then she says we can cut it off and it's perfectly fine.

MontrealMum
05-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I make DH eat them :) Apparently, he doesn't mind. Before DH I used to save them to feed to the birds because I didn't feel right just tossing them.

egoldber
05-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Sometimes I eat them. I like them toasted with PB.

Otherwise I freeze them and use them to make stuffing/dressing.

Melaine
05-15-2013, 09:51 AM
I eat them myself typically. If it is down to the end of the loaf, I turn them backwards in the sandwich and give it to the girls. I don't think they would care if they BOTH had them but if one had a bread butt and the other had normal bread it would be a problem. So I will turn it backwards so as not to be noticed and then cut in half so they EACH have a half with the butt. Yeah, I am kind of neurotic about things being "fair", I admit it.

Mommy_Mea
05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
I usually eat it on the bread DH and I use, he would throw it away otherwise. I don't love it, but I think it is wasteful. On the kids bread, I give it to them, and they don't even notice. Even when ds1 had his aversion to crusts.

twowhat?
05-15-2013, 09:56 AM
I'll eat them but DH won't. I stick extras in the freezer. We take them with us when we go to the duck park to feed the turtles and ducks:)

You could also use them for fresh bread crumbs if you have a recipe that calls for it.

mom3boys
05-15-2013, 10:08 AM
My DH likes the ends so I usually leave them for him. Although he only makes a sandwich like once a week so if they are getting stale, I either throw them away or feed them to the ducks (we have mallards that are in the brook behind our house most days).

KLD313
05-15-2013, 10:08 AM
I usually throw them away but if I'm making meatball or meatloaf I make breadcrums out of them.

123LuckyMom
05-15-2013, 10:14 AM
I toast them and eat them with peanut butter or cream cheese. Yum!

Pennylane
05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
We have a neighborhood pond, so we save them for the ducks!

Ann

janine
05-15-2013, 10:27 AM
You all are so resourceful! But with 1-2 loaves a week, doesn't that add up (for freezer, ducks)?

cono0507
05-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Make croutons! Even with just 1-2 loaves each week, the ends are enough for croutons for a couple of salads.

katydid1971
05-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Regular sandwich type bread I throw out. Nice crust Sourdough, I think that's the best part ;)

lizzywednesday
05-15-2013, 11:02 AM
I make it into tuna salad sandwiches if I don't toss them. (It really does feel wasteful to toss them.)

The "heel" ends of the loaves of bread are perfect for tuna & chicken salad sandwiches because they don't soak up the dressing as quickly.

It's the only use I've ever really enjoyed bread-heels for.

Mikey0709
05-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Most of the time we eat them - but the kids LOVE to throw them out to birds!!!

I even make a REAL treat once in awhile and spread some peanut butter on them and they feed the squirrels!!!

ehlana06
05-15-2013, 11:15 AM
save them and make bread pudding!

DietCokeLover
05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Sometimes we eat them and sometimes we thrw them out to the squirrels.

Zukini
05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Save them in a ziplock in the fridge to make breadcrumbs for meatloaf or meatballs or to mix with grated Parmesan to bread chicken or pork cutlets.

TwinFoxes
05-15-2013, 11:31 AM
If it is down to the end of the loaf, I turn them backwards in the sandwich and give it to the girls. I don't think they would care if they BOTH had them but if one had a bread butt and the other had normal bread it would be a problem. So I will turn it backwards so as not to be noticed and then cut in half so they EACH have a half with the butt. Yeah, I am kind of neurotic about things being "fair", I admit it.

I do that! I don't think it's neurotic, I think it's called having twins! :)

In general I toss them if it's regular sandwich bread. If it's something like a French loaf, DH likes it. Wegmans sells this great store-made cinnamon raisin bread, and the heels are really yummy toasted with butter.

sntm
05-15-2013, 11:34 AM
I always eat them. So does DSO and DS. Sounds like I'm the weird one but I couldn't imagine throwing them away.

BabbyO
05-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I'm eating one on my sandwich right now! We eat them. DH and the kids are more adverse, but will eat them. I love them toasted....my favorite piece of toast.

I don't care to use BOTH heels for the same sandwich. So I always pair 1 heel with 1 piece of "regular" bread.

FWIW - I always save the "top" heel and have it as the end piece in the bag. Not sure if it is true or not, but my parents swear it keeps the rest of the bread more moist. It is a habit.

Corie
05-15-2013, 12:39 PM
I eat them!! I love toast made from the heels.

Still-in-Shock
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
I wasn't allowed to eat the end of any loaf of bread growing up, since the ends of the bread made you an old maid. Really.

If I need bread crumbs or croutons, I'll use them, but I still don't eat them, even though I'm married. My Mom won't let me take ANY chances - she likes DH.

Dream
05-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I eat them actually love it.

twowhat?
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM
I eat them myself typically. If it is down to the end of the loaf, I turn them backwards in the sandwich and give it to the girls. I don't think they would care if they BOTH had them but if one had a bread butt and the other had normal bread it would be a problem. So I will turn it backwards so as not to be noticed and then cut in half so they EACH have a half with the butt. Yeah, I am kind of neurotic about things being "fair", I admit it.

OMG yes!!! I do the SAME thing!!! LOL!!!

Totally!!! Little things like that that take little effort and could go a long way towards avoiding a meltdown based on "what she has" = worth it.

lmh2402
05-15-2013, 01:48 PM
i toss them.

jammytoast
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Growing up, dad would always eat them, but DH will not only not eat them, but also not eat the piece NEXT to the heel! I'll toast them with PB or use for breadcrumbs.

We use to take them to the duck pond, but last fall the neighborhood org. posted these signs asking to please stop as bread was harmful to ducks (Who knew?!??)

http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/duck_care.html#diets

rlu
05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
I answered PB&J since I do the same as several pp - I toast them and slather on the peanut butter.

eta: and we save the front heel to keep the loaf moist, like pp. My mom does that.

elbenn
05-15-2013, 02:31 PM
We eat them. Usually with an opened faced pb&j or pb & honey sandwich. I would also feed them to ducks if I was going to a pond.

Melaine
05-15-2013, 02:34 PM

OMG yes!!! I do the SAME thing!!! LOL!!!

Totally!!! Little things like that that take little effort and could go a long way towards avoiding a meltdown based on "what she has" = worth it.

I am SOOO glad it's not just me! Sometimes I worry that I am making them worse by doing some of this.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I am SOOO glad it's not just me! Sometimes I worry that I am making them worse by doing some of this.

it's so not just you. i don't have twins but mine are super close in age and i do things like this ALL.THE.TIME just to avoid fights. I think probably ALL parents with more than one child do. as that Crappy Parenting mom blogger said, i'm pretty sure my kids would fight over a piece of dog poop if there was only one. :) Every kid always wants exactly what their brother/sister has, no matter what. For me, if i don't have two IDENTICAL items of something, i don't give it to either one. I'm often just too tired to hear "but I want one TOOoooOO!!"

have you seen this youtube video that's been going around FB? two monkeys were paid unequally for same task. so funny. this totally made me think of my kids and how they get so mad when they see the other one getting something. i thoguht it was hilarious that they had to perform this type of research with monkeys. they could have come over and seen my kids in action. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Go8tnl21MU

twowhat?
05-15-2013, 03:05 PM
it's so not just you. i don't have twins but mine are super close in age and i do things like this ALL.THE.TIME just to avoid fights. I think probably ALL parents with more than one child do. as that Crappy Parenting mom blogger said, i'm pretty sure my kids would fight over a piece of dog poop if there was only one. :) Every kid always wants exactly what their brother/sister has, no matter what. For me, if i don't have two IDENTICAL items of something, i don't give it to either one. I'm often just too tired to hear "but I want one TOOoooOO!!"

have you seen this youtube video that's been going around FB? two monkeys were paid unequally for same task. so funny. this totally made me think of my kids and how they get so mad when they see the other one getting something. i thoguht it was hilarious that they had to perform this type of research with monkeys. they could have come over and seen my kids in action. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Go8tnl21MU

:hysterical: I had not seen this video before!!! LOLOLOL! LOVE that the monkey angrily threw the cucumber back HAHAHAHA. Though yeah, wonder why research dollars are wasted towards something like this that is so obvious. Would loved to have seen the video in dogs. Maybe I'll do my own experiment with our two dogs hahaha.

And yeah, if I don't have two identical items, I don't hand them out. I've been known to sneak favors out of goodie bags before letting my girls look through them:) Or eat DD1's halloween candy so that the stash matches DD2's.

niccig
05-15-2013, 03:36 PM
I like crusts so it's the best part of the bread.

For sliced bread, they're often thicker and great toasted with PB or vegemite.Yummy.

For an unsliced loaf of crunchy bread, my family fight over who gets the ends. I got to it first and my sister totally annoyed, turned the loaf around and cut off the either end.

DS will eat them as toast or on a sandwich, but he won't eat crusts for other slices. Totally weird.

essnce629
05-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Because they are thicker I use them to make garlic bread or peanut butter toast for the kids.

BabyBearsMom
05-15-2013, 04:24 PM
It depends. If I don't have any other bread, we eat them but they aren't my favorite so if there is another option, I throw them away.

georgiegirl
05-15-2013, 04:30 PM
My kids fight over the end piece of nice crusty bread.

daniele_ut
05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I throw them into a bag in the freezer and when it's full I'll either make breadcrumbs or we'll go feed the ducks in the park. This question is timely since we went and fed the ducks on Mother's Day with the bread from the freezer!

Ceepa
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
We use them like any other slice of bread once the rest of the loaf is eaten.

maestramommy
05-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Eat them of course!

army_mom
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
DD loves them! She calls them squishy bread and always requests to eat them. I will only eat them as toast, which I rarely eat.

elliput
05-15-2013, 06:54 PM
I like to eat the ends toasted with lots of butter. Especially on really crusty breads like sour dough. Yummy!

The thing with bread is that it begins with an end. (Me, age 4)

ellies mom
05-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I toss them. I don't like them. I don't have enough room in the freezer for the off chance I need breadcrumbs, croutons or want to make meatloaf. I keep them in the bag until they are the last two slices and then into the garbage it goes. Now if it is a really nice loaf of homemade bread or fancy bread, that is different, but the average loaf of sandwich bread, nope.

pastrygirl
05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
I eat toast for breakfast everyday, and the ends are my absolute favorites!!! If I could have two ends every morning, I'd be a happy camper. :)

bisous
05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
I personally eat them. Not because I like them but because I hate to waste them and nobody else in the house will eat them. I am also the dedicated ugly fruit eater. Just another role for us moms--eating the food nobody else wants, lol.

crayonblue
05-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I throw them out. My mom made homemade bread the entire time I was growing up, ground her own wheat, and we fought over who got the first end piece! Store bought bread ends are most definitely not that exciting!

ahisma
05-15-2013, 08:35 PM
I save them for DS2. He loves them; he calls them the special pieces.

jenstring95
05-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I love them toasted....my favorite piece of toast.

Mine too!

alleycat
05-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Growing up we threw it out. Neither my sister nor I would touch the end pieces. Thinking back, we sure wasted a lot of bread.

DD1 and DD2, on the other hand, love the end pieces. They fight over it. The top end is not allowed to be eaten until we get to the bottom of the loaf so that both girls get an end piece.

rin
05-15-2013, 10:52 PM
I personally eat them. Not because I like them but because I hate to waste them and nobody else in the house will eat them. I am also the dedicated ugly fruit eater. Just another role for us moms--eating the food nobody else wants, lol.

:yeahthat:

Drives me crazy! Since we got a blender, though, I've been offloading the ugly fruit into smoothies and nobody's the wiser.

DD likes the fresh end of the bread, but not when it's cooled off, so she'll eat the first piece, but not the last (I bake all our bread at home, so we slice it as we go). DH refuses to eat the ends, and will shave off the end and stick it back in the bag, then go for a center slice.

AJP
05-16-2013, 06:51 AM

:yeahthat: this is exactly what I do! Right down to giving each a half of the sandwich with the offending bread butt! Lol