PDA

View Full Version : Does bedroom furniture need to match to look good?

gatorsmom
05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Up until now, DH and I used my suite of bedroom furniture that I bought before we were married. We both love the style. But since we moved into our new house, we don't really like how the headboard and foot board look in the room. I did find another head board and footboard that are the same theme (kind of Old world European) but the wood color is slightly lighter and the nobs are totally different. I would get matching pieces from the suite but there isn't a matching dresser that will fit in our bedroom. So I'd like to keep our existing dresser but get the new headboard, footboard and nightstands which are all matching.

The old dresser is on the opposite side of the room and it's about 10feet away from the bed and nightstand. There really is no vantage point where you would be looking at them at the same time.

So, should I get the new bed and nightstand and keep the old dresser? Or should I look for a complete matching bedroom suite that will fit?

123LuckyMom
05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
I actually don't like matchy, matchy furniture. We don't have any. If I were you, I'd get the new bed that you like, get side tables that are different from either set, and perhaps even different from each other, and keep the dresser. Use fabrics and/or colors to tie the room together.

kep
05-15-2013, 01:39 PM
I really don't prefer matchy-matchy. Last I had heard from the "experts" on HGTV and the home magazines I read, matchy is out of style now.

I thought you got some good feedback on this on the gardening forums as well.

crl
05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
I actually don't like matchy, matchy furniture. We don't have any. If I were you, I'd get the new bed that you like, get side tables that are different from either set, and perhaps even different from each other, and keep the dresser. Use fabrics and/or colors to tie the room together.

:yeahthat:

Catherine

gatorsmom
05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
I really don't prefer matchy-matchy. Last I had heard from the "experts" on HGTV and the home magazines I read, matchy is out of style now.

I thought you got some good feedback on this on the gardening forums as well.

:ROTFLMAO: I did post over there but I only got 2 responses and thought I'd check with the smart momma's here.

I'm a creature of habit. So although I've heard that matchy-matchy is out, it's what I'm used to and what I like. Getting used to the new trends is hard for this old dog. I guess I need to be convinced. ;)

crl
05-15-2013, 02:11 PM
:ROTFLMAO: I did post over there but I only got 2 responses and thought I'd check with the smart momma's here.

I'm a creature of habit. So although I've heard that matchy-matchy is out, it's what I'm used to and what I like. Getting used to the new trends is hard for this old dog. I guess I need to be convinced. ;)

Well, you like what you like--nothing wrong with that at all. I inherited a love of antiques from my mom, though sadly not the budget to go with it. ;) Not many complete matching sets in anything antique (we are talking early to mid 1800s preferably). So my taste runs to nothing matching. But if that's not your thing, keep looking until you find what you want. I know you aren't the kind to throw it all away next year for some new trend, so I say it's worth the effort and money to get what you want.

Catherine

janine
05-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Agree with CRL, this is a preference thing, not something you can be convinced of.

Personally I don't need matchy matchy, but I like things to flow, so if the wood finishes are the same, that works for me. The 2 tables must match each other. I dont' care about things like same furniture line for entire set or knobs matching (as in 2 tables matching another piece of furniture's know across the room) - but finishes and same make might be important. It really depends though.

What did you end up deciding on bedding, curtains! This is quite the project! ;).

mikala
05-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Agree with PP that matching sets are out of style on the home decor magazines and blogs. People seem to be using more painted wood, brighter colors, fabric headboards. I think a lot of it comes from the DIY, Pinterest, blog popularity.

I secretly wish our matching set would just need replacing but I simply cannot justify the cost of new furniture when our existing set is high quality, $$, just NMS now that I've seen other options.

marymoo86
05-15-2013, 02:56 PM
What you are describing sounds too similar to what you have now. Usually if you are going to mix furniture the styles need to be different or it might look "off." Hard to say without seeing them together.

crl
05-15-2013, 03:11 PM
What you are describing sounds too similar to what you have now. Usually if you are going to mix furniture the styles need to be different or it might look "off." Hard to say without seeing them together.

I definitely agree that things that almost match don't usually look good. Swing and a miss is how I think of it.

Catherine

gatorsmom
05-15-2013, 03:18 PM

I definitely agree that things that almost match don't usually look good. Swing and a miss is how I think of it.

Catherine

This is what I'm afraid of. :(

justlearning
05-15-2013, 07:00 PM
This is what I'm afraid of. :(

I agree. Can you post pics of what you have and what you're considering buying? In our master bedroom, we have a matching dresser and a nightstand on the side of the bed that's farthest from the dresser. Those are both solid wood and dark expresso/black stain. We then have a padded leather headboard from Pottery Barn that's dark brown. Then for a nightstand that's closest to the dresser, I have a round one (other one's rectangular) that is handpainted with some brown and black in it. I like the way it all looks good together (and fits our space requirements) and isn't matchy matchy. But I think a major part of making it work is having the headboard be in leather instead of wood. I think mixing materials is easier to do than mixing woods, and I agree that woods that are similar colors are harder to mix together than woods that are different colors. I also think that mixing works best when the style is simple overall (as ours is). I think it's harder to do it with more ornate styles.

janine
05-15-2013, 07:11 PM
I agree. Can you post pics of what you have and what you're considering buying? In our master bedroom, we have a matching dresser and a nightstand on the side of the bed that's farthest from the dresser. Those are both solid wood and dark expresso/black stain. We then have a padded leather headboard from Pottery Barn that's dark brown. Then for a nightstand that's closest to the dresser, I have a round one (other one's rectangular) that is handpainted with some brown and black in it. I like the way it all looks good together (and fits our space requirements) and isn't matchy matchy. But I think a major part of making it work is having the headboard be in leather instead of wood. I think mixing materials is easier to do than mixing woods, and I agree that woods that are similar colors are harder to mix together than woods that are different colors. I also think that mixing works best when the style is simple overall (as ours is). I think it's harder to do it with more ornate styles.

Well explained. This is why I mentioned wood finishes matching at least (stains etc - not painted). Different textures,etc. works though.

Zukini
05-15-2013, 07:19 PM

:yeahthat:

Mixing materials, textures and colors will lead to a more "designer" look than going full on matchy matchy. What has helped me immensely is going through Pinterest and culling rooms or vignettes that draw me in and eventually you start to see a pattern not only in what you like, but the elements of the room that make the whole thing work and not look disjointed. Accessories can bridge a lot of gaps in making the room feel cohesive.

Personally we selected the dressers and nightstands in our master first - using pieces from two collections at Thomasville but in different colors so the "lines" are similar but there is crossover in wood, mottled walnut brown with hints of espresso and then solid espresso. Hardware is bronze and the room lighting and door hardware is also bronze. Then we selected a linen upholstered headboard with nickel tack hardware. The bases on our bedside lamps are nickel (silver colored?) and have the same linen drum but the actual base design is different on each one to avoid too much matching (got the lamps at pier one).

bisous
05-15-2013, 07:20 PM
You just want a new bed, right? You like the look of the other pieces? Why not do a totally different kind of bed? Something upholstered or an iron headboard. Would anything like that work? Or painted wood? Or an elaborate cornice? Keep your "matchy" pieces but replace with a new bed that you like?

I'm having a similar problem. I have a matched set that I don't want to break up. I love it!! It is just old Thomasville stuff but I'm attached. My parents (inexplicably) sold ONE of the nightstands before they gave it to me. I have no idea what to do to balance my look. I'm sure I'll be getting rid of my nightstand but I'm not even sure which two pieces would look right with the rest of the suite!

kara97210
05-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I am notoriously bad at deciding on furniture, but one thing that has really helped me with decorating our current house is using the Houzz ideabooks. I have one for each room that we knew we wanted to redecorate when we moved in (kids’ rooms, kitchen, master bedroom and powder room). I've found when I start looking and marking images for each room, I definitely was drawn to a certain style for each room. Like 90% of my marked kitchens had similar cabinets, floors, etc. For me things end up looking more cohesive when I try to imagine the whole room, rather than picking out individual pieces. Houzz really helps with this. It has really helped reinforce some of the decisions about furniture, rugs, etc.

mackmama
05-15-2013, 08:55 PM
I do not like matchy-matchy furniture. I like things that go well together but don't match. I do like matching lamps on nightstands though.

khm
05-15-2013, 10:00 PM
How about go non-wood?

I fell in love with this Charles P. Rogers (http://www.charlesprogers.com/rutherford-bed-p-3.html?cPath=6_56) someone posted awhile back. I was thisclose to buying for my daughter's room, but it was just too spendy for us.

For the record, I ended up "pinteresting" a clearance Ikea bed that was an ugly color for my daughter's room. I did the DIY Anne Sloan chalk paint. OMG it is amazing. The finish is fantastic. I love her bed! Could you paint your existing bed white or black or something different than your dressers? My daughter's is raspberry, but prob not the look you are going for. ;)