PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing new Audi get Audi care & other add ons or not?

jacksmomtobe
05-15-2013, 02:42 PM
So I was wondering if anyone who has an Audi has any advice. DH is purchasing a new Q5 after we agreed upon the price for the car itself the dealer business mgr offered some add ons such ad Audi care, Simmoniz (int & ext protection), care guard wheel & tire, LoJack, maxguard (dent removal & interior repair), vehicle protectin plan, venture shield & total loss protections. My orig though is to get the Audi care & nothing else since anything major would think would be covered by insurance & AAA but I wanted to get other opinions. FYI we live in the NE so te weather is not kind to cars & the car would not be garaged.

Thx!

AnnieW625
05-15-2013, 02:53 PM
I might get the Audi Care depending on what it covered. We got the basic one for our VW. The finance manager showed us the price sheet and it was $1400 so I was tempted to say no, but the finance manager said if she added it into our monthly payment it would only increase it $12 so the was only $720 so she gave us a discount of 50% on it. You can also shop around for the best price. I had seen a price sheet in a VW specific forum so I knew what I should be paying before hand. We did not do any of the other extras they offered.

lcarlson90
05-15-2013, 03:29 PM
I just bought a new Outback this weekend :love-retry: and I purchased the maintenance plan that they offered. It was $1,000 and covers all service visits, oil changes and brakes for 8 years or 75k miles. I thought it was a pretty good deal because I know I typically pay $200 for each major service and that's not even at the dealer.

Zukini
05-15-2013, 03:55 PM
We bought our lexus rx350 new in 2012 and after negotiating the price of the vehicle we did also add on interior protection for the surfaces and also ding / damage protection for the body, both deductible free, loaner car included and with unlimited visits. The price and duration of those add ons are very much negotiable as well so if you want them, feel free to play ball in that negotiating discussion too. We wrote a check outright for those add ons as we were doing partial financing on the car.

So far I've taken it in once for a small door ding (selfish people at costco leaving carts free in lot), a tear in leather on back of passenger seat (was reaching into the seat back pocket and my bracelet snagged the material) and at least three visits to maintain the front seats from my denim blue jeans transferring. That last one will be ongoing as for some reason, these semi-premium denim jeans have the worst transfer. Plus we live in north Texas so hail damage is always a possibility since many employers, malls and stores have open parking

It's been worth it to us, and we try really hard not to be warranty-people. But we plan to keep this car for a long time so just want to get the early care and maintenance right.

Zukini
05-15-2013, 04:03 PM
One more thing, make sure to get full copies of the coverages offered by the plans including exclusions and review without pressure from the salespersons. They are making a hefty profit on these add ons so you want to make sure it makes sense for your lifestyle and needs. Make a copy of all final signed warranty documents to keep for yourself. Sometimes they like to just hand you the brochure and send you on your way. That's not cool either.

With Lexus, no maintenance coverage except the first visit is included but having owned a Lexus previously, driven past 120k miles, we knew the regular new car warranty would suffice for the start and we could reassess later on about extended warranties through Lexus was really needed. I also knew that what the ballpark labor and parts for maintenance would cost and could just be budgeted ahead (tires, brakes, etc) so buying a plan for maintenance wasn't right for us. D you have another audi certified dealer in town that you can price shop for maintenance and repairs? It helps if there's direct competition in town.