PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Totally Forgot About a School Event and I Feel Horrible

cuca_
05-15-2013, 10:29 PM
So I signed up to participate in a Teacher Appreciation lunch several weeks ago. I put it in my calendar, but forgot to set a reminder. Somehow, I missed the calendar entry and did not bring the items to the event.

I feel so horrible! I'm sure they missed the items I offered to bring. I'm usually pretty good about this things.

I'm thinking about emailing one of the organizers, but honestly I am so embarrased, and I'm sure they think I'm a flake.

I'm really feeling sick about this:cry:

Any advice on how to handle this?

SnuggleBuggles
05-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Email. They'll understand. Sure, there's a chance they are a tad grumpy (I ran the luncheon at ds1's school and silently cursed a no show ;)) but much less flaky to email than to totally blow it off. Eta- and if you're normally good about this stuff, they really will be ok. I only get annoyed with the chronic volunteer no shows. There's one mom that I don't even write down on the schedule when she offers since 9 times out of 10 she bails or doesn't come through.

sariana
05-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Our PTA runs the Teacher Appreciation events, and we always send out reminder emails to people. I seriously would not expect someone to remember something like that. I know you feel bad, but someone else dropped the ball here, IMO.

Don't worry about it. Not to say you weren't missed, but things happen. You will be forgiven.:)

kristenk
05-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Definitely send an email. I think it's better to go ahead and address the situation instead of just pretending it didn't happen. I think you'll feel better if you do that, too.

cuca_
05-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I will definitely email. I wished they had sent a reminder, but, really, I should have remembered!

pinkmomagain
05-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Our PTA runs the Teacher Appreciation events, and we always send out reminder emails to people. I seriously would not expect someone to remember something like that. I know you feel bad, but someone else dropped the ball here, IMO.

Don't worry about it. Not to say you weren't missed, but things happen. You will be forgiven.:)

Ditto this. We get several reminders when we sign up for things at school. I'm surprised you didn't get a call or email with a reminder...they definitely dropped the ball. I like the idea, though, of you sending an email to say that you are sorry that you forgot.

TwinFoxes
05-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I will definitely email. I wished they had sent a reminder, but, really, I should have remembered!

I think you have the right attitude. A sincere apology goes a long way.

I'm surprised people think you should have gotten a reminder. I think they're nice, but I don't expect them.

SnuggleBuggles
05-15-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm surprised too that people expect a reminder. IMO, it is your responsibility to remember. I usually do email people and I love that Meeting Wizard and Sign Up Genius do automatic reminders. But sometimes I'm in the weeds for an event and it just isn't a priority. If I had a team of volunteers, sure I'd delegate that. I do not.

squimp
05-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Oh I hate doing stuff like that.

When I run an event I always send reminders. It's just a good strategy for success.

cuca_
05-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Good update. I sent an apologetic email and got a very nice reply. Thanks for the advice!!