PDA

View Full Version : Window advice in kitchen

khalloc
05-16-2013, 03:52 PM
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. Our new design has us putting in 2 new windows on one wall of the kitchen that doesnt currently have windows. The windows will be on either side of our new 36" range. I only have 60" of space to work with. That 60" needs to be for both windows + whatever space we want on the sides of the windows before the cabinets + range hood start.

So, I am thinking of 18" windows and with the trim that would make them around 22.5" wide each and it would give me about 3.75" of space on the sides of each window.

DH for some reason hates casement windows. he wants double-hung. All of the other windows in our house are double-hung and he says casement are way more money. I am only 5'2" however and I find it impossible to open a window over the countertop unless I physically get up on the counter in order to do it.

Our other disagreement is the height of the windows. I would like them to come down closer to the countertop than sink window does. The sink window is 39.5" tall and the trim on the bottom of the window is 4" above the counter. This can make it hard for me to see out the window. I can see out it, but it would be nice if it came down lower, you know?

DH thinks it will look wierd to have the windows on one wall come down closer to the countertop than the sink window. This is an "L" shaped kitchen with an island. Will it look wierd? What about casement vs non casement? I think personally i like double-hung windows better but they are hard to open when they are over the kitchen counter.

BigDog
05-16-2013, 06:16 PM
We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel too and just replaced our windows a few weeks ago. We replaced the double-hung one above my kitchen sink with a casement that comes down lower and I love it. I don't have to stand on my tippy toes to look out and its so easy to open. I replaced the other double-hung window (which is on the same wall a few feet down) with a new double-hung window, and I wish I would've made it a casement too because its so hard to open with the counter there. I had decided not to because its a pretty large window and a casement in that size wouldve been more than we wanted to spend. In hindsight, I think it wouldve been worth it though and I'm kicking myself for not doing it.

As far as the look of casements, we got ours with the grids and I don't feel it hinders the traditional/colonial character of our house. It looks nice and fits right in with the other windows.

Mermanaid
05-16-2013, 06:59 PM
I have a double hung window over my kitchen sink and I usually have to pull over a chair to open it. I don't have to use the chair right after DH silicones it but that only happens once a year. Oh and I am 5' 3".

Go for the casement. And no its does not look weird to have it come down lower. Lots of people have a regular window and then very narrow windows under their cabinets. None of those align and I think it looks good.

Twoboos
05-16-2013, 09:10 PM
We just moved some windows in our kitchen remodel. We went for casement. DH really wanted just one giant window, but I wanted to be able to open it and figured a double hung would be a pain. It's probably low, I can't tell b/c there is nothing else there. But I think it's going to look great!

BTW - if anyone is getting a new sliding glass door. Make sure they send both the sliding door AND the stationary door. Not two sliding ones. So then you won't have an 8ft hole in your wall, covered in plywood. :irked:

khalloc
05-17-2013, 09:06 AM
I think I talked DH into casement windows. he is not happy, but he said "Whatever you want" LOL.

Now I need to figure something else out. We were planning on getting vinyl windows just for the no maintenance aspect. But I just learned that vinyl starts to decompose at 280 degrees. And since these windows will be on either side of our professional range, I dont know if I need to get wood or not. they will be about 8" away from the range on either side. I am not sure if that is too close to the heat source or not?