PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old with strep and a rash

fedoragirl
05-16-2013, 06:36 PM
I have already read up on all the scarlet fever threads and the Strep threads. I am concerned that this may not be scarlet fever because DD does not have a rash all over or on her belly. The rash is only under her knees, inside of her elbows and in her armpits. I couldn't find anything with similar symptoms. I put CA lotion on it and that helped. She has taken Advil for the fever. But she is refusing all food and drink because her throat hurts so badly.
So is this scarlet fever or just strep?
Also, am I too late in getting her treatment? She complained of her throat hurting yesterday and I now know that other kids were sick since Mon. We'll be going to the ped. tomorrow. DS has been exposed to it before I knew what it was. DD fed him with her spoon today and yesterday. He is not showing any symptoms but should I ask for antibiotics for him too?
And are you concerned about PANDAS or any other scary illnesses that accompany or are caused by strep. I am getting off google now.

scrooks
05-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Dd didn't have a rash but has complained about her throat for a couple of days now. Silly us, we just thought it was drainage from her allergies causing it. She just started antibiotics today (the first day she appeared REALLY sick) so I don't think you are too late. The good news is, once she starts the antibiotic she will improve quickly! I hope you can keep her comfy tonight and get her meds tomorrow.

pinkmomagain
05-16-2013, 06:56 PM
It *could* be a reaction to the abx (if she is on them) or the advil. Actually, my allergic reaction to advil (after taking it fine for many years) was hives around my joints...particularly my knees.

Simon
05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Have you taken her to be seen yet? I would for peace of mind. When Ds1 had scarlet fever his rash was only on his arms and parts of his torso, not the same as you describe but for certain not a full body rash.

lizzywednesday
05-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Have you taken her to be seen yet? I would for peace of mind. ... but for certain not a full body rash.

When my nephew had scarlet fever, his rash was mostly on his cheeks.

fedoragirl
05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
I took her in and her entire body was covered in a rash by the morning. She definitely has scarlet fever. She looks redder than I've ever seen her. I hope the abx work soon.
Thanks everyone.
I am more concerned about the aftereffects since I took her in 2 days after she showed symptoms. I also don't want it as a recurring theme in our house. The ped. has asked us to bring her in after a month.