PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with tubal ligation

scrooks
05-16-2013, 06:44 PM
I am having a csection this summer and was planning on having a tubal ligation done at the same time. I was just assuming it was the easiest thing since I will already be having surgery and my ob made it sound very simple and not a big deal. Now I am rethinking a bit based on some responses to the other birth control thread. Those of you that have had a tubal...what are your experiences? Would you do it again?

DietCokeLover
05-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I had two c-sections - 11 months apart - and had my tubes tied during my second. I was up and around the next day, carrying an infant and an 11 month old, driving within 5 days, etc. no issues for me.

kdeunc
05-16-2013, 07:34 PM
I had a tubal during my csection with dd. I have not had any issues that I attribute to the tubal. Some changes in my cycle which I attribute to peri menopause. (38 at time of tubal).

ETA. Yes I would do it again. If I had not had sections DH would have had a vasectomy. My sister had a tubal last year (no csection) and has had no issues.

ErinMC
05-16-2013, 07:42 PM
I had a tubal after my Mirena IUD perforated my abdomen and I needed surgery anyways to get it removed. :( I already had 3 kids and some medical complications with my 3rd delivery which would have made future pregnancies risky for me, so I knew we were done. My dr. suggested I have the tubal at the same time as the IUD removal surgery. My recovery was fine - I rested in bed for 2 days (during which I was still able to nurse DD) and have no regrets.

Nyfeara
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
I had a tubal during the c-section for DS2. The only thing different from the first c-section was some pain on one side, where I'd normally feel 'ovulation' pain. OB said that was common and was from the tubal, that many have that pain on one side and that it usually only lasted a day or so. Honestly, it wasn't agony or anything, just something different from the first time. It was gone the next the day, just like the Dr had said.

We knew we were done and I was having a C anyway, so we just figured why not. It only added another 5-10 mins tops onto the c-section. DH was going to get a V, but we found out he needed valve replacement surgery and is now on warfarin, so it never happened. I'm glad I had the tubal at this point :)

wallawala
05-16-2013, 09:29 PM
I had tubal at the time of my repeat C-section. No problems and didn't notice any difference in recovery time from my first. Had the CS and tubal around 10, and was walking that afternoon.

It was a great decision for us, as I was 39 at the time and very confident that we were done!

KLD313
05-16-2013, 10:13 PM
I had a tubal during my c-section. I talked at length with my OB and midwife about post tubal ligation syndrome. My midwife never heard of it but surprisingly the OB did. She said in about 5% of cases people experience symptoms and problems. Se also said that it may not be because of the tubal. She said most women who do it have had more than one c-section and are over 35. Your period changes after two c-sections according to her and could be heavier, weight gain can be age related, other symptoms can be related to peri-menopause. I believe she said the studies didn't go into all this. It was good enough for me and I knew I was done with being pregnant.

I lost all my baby weight within two weeks but gained some of it back since. I had some serious PMS issues when I first got my period back. I felt like I wanted to kill someone but that subsided. My periods are actually lighter than after DD. I don't think any of it had to do with the tubal.

echoesofspring
05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I had one with DD's delivery. I haven't had any side effects, but AF hasn't yet returned. My c/s recovery was a look quicker than with DS, I suppose in part before of him. I had only 1 period when I went off BC before I got pregnant with DS and it was painful. I'm hoping that's not my normal state w/out hormonal BC.

scrooks
05-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! At my next ob appointment I am going to discuss it with her but I am feeling a bit better about sticking with this decision. I know there are risks with any procedure but I think this is still a good choice for me.