PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure out this rash

anonomom
05-16-2013, 08:32 PM
DD has had a rash on her bottom on and off for a while now. We had treated it with cortisone cream and at first it seemed to get better but tonight it's definitely worse. The rash is flat, dry (as in, not gooey or scabby) and looks like a bunch of small red dots. I have googled every combination of terms I can think of and can't find anything that fits. Heat rash comes closest, but since it's so localized and not really in a place where heat rash makes sense, I don't think that's it.

It seems to get worse after DD has been swimming (and sometimes even just in the tub), even though we're pretty careful not to let her sit in a wet suit and we bathe her right after we get out of the water.

The rash is only on her rear end. She usually doesn't notice it, but tonight she says it hurts.

Any ideas?

jenstring95
05-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Clustered red dots usually mean a yeast infection. My DC used to get them a lot when they were in diapers. We have always gotten a prescription for Nystatin to get rid of it. Yeast thrives in a wet environment, which fits your scenarios.

Gena
05-16-2013, 10:36 PM
It sounds like the eczema patches DS gets now and then. He often gets them on his bottom or hip. Aveeno Eczema Therapy works well for him.

randomkid
05-17-2013, 02:33 AM
Sounds like yeast. How large is the area? Ringworm is actually a fungal infection of the skin and is in the shape of (or sort of in the shape of) a ring. DD has had it a few times. An anti-fungal cream will get rid of it, but you have to be consistent with it to really get rid of it. Be careful, it can be contagious, although I never got it from DD. Maybe because I only touched the area with my fingers that had anti-fungal cream on them, then immediately washed my hands.

If it's more widespread, it just sounds like a yeast infection due to dampness. DD had a couple yeast diaper rashes and it was just as you described - flat, dry, little red dots all over the area. Again, anti-fungal cream worked like a charm. I alternated the cream with cornstarch powder so she wouldn't stay so damp. The dryness helps to clear it up as well.