PDA

View Full Version : Quick - Ques for Campers

Twoboos
05-17-2013, 07:42 AM
I am sending DDs off in about 5hrs so I need a quick response. :)

It's going to be mid-40s overnight. They have LLBean flannel lined 30deg rated sleeping bags. They are bringing fleece pjs, layered with leggings/undershirts, and wool socks. They have hats and gloves. I am sending a smallish (lap size? Def not for twin, more throw size I guess) fleece blanket for inside the sleeping bag.

My question: Should I upgrade the smaller blankets to twin-sized fleece sheet instead? It took up so much packing space, I switched to the blankets instead.

Thoughts?

FWIW, I slept in the sleeping bag and fleece sheet twice last year and woke up drenched in sweat!!

hillview
05-17-2013, 07:44 AM
I think they will be warm unless it is super windy or something like that

egoldber
05-17-2013, 07:44 AM
I think just the sleeping bag and the PJs are enough.

Are they in cabins? Typically there are 6-10 people per cabin so you get body heat and also it can be humid in the cabin too.

Twoboos
05-17-2013, 07:46 AM
They are in the canvas raised platform cabin type things. Which definitely get humid!

lizzywednesday
05-17-2013, 09:22 AM
They are in the canvas raised platform cabin type things. Which definitely get humid!

They'll be fine.

I camped in platform tents like that at GS camp myself and had a fairly warm sleeping bag my first trip. If it were fall, I'd suggest sleeping in fleece pants & a knit cap, but 40s overnight in a 30 rated sleeping bag's going to be fine.

I like to safety-pin a t-shirt sheet to the inside of my sleeping bag for an extra layer if I am concerned about getting cold overnight and as a way to protect myself from the scratchiness of the lining of my sleeping bag - I just have a cheapie Coleman one, probably rated to 30 degrees, and it's often too warm even in the fall!!!

oneplustwo
05-17-2013, 09:31 AM
I think they'll be fine too. DD, her GS troop and I slept in platform tents like that at a GS camp one fall when temps fell to low 40s overnight; we had similar stuff for sleeping in and were quite comfortable (I slept with hat a gloves but that's because I run cold).