PDA

View Full Version : When are you "safe" re: stomach flu?

Melaine
05-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Wondering how isolated we should stay. I had a stomach bug Wednesday night. It was super short lived. I felt awful from about 2 pm that day through midnight and threw up a few times but then it was over. DD1 woke up and complained of a tummy ache, threw up a few times between 6-10 AM on Thursday (yesterday) and has been ok since. No one else has gotten (except my brother who briefly stopped by on Wed. which is why I know it's a bug, not something we ate. Sorry, bro.)

Anyway, I am wondering how long we should stay out of public in order to keep our germs to ourselves? It wouldn't be as big of a deal except we have been sick so much that we are sick of laying low.

I guess I am starting to feel optimistic that the others aren't going to get it....but I suppose it's too early to make those assumptions huh? What is the rule of thumb?

hillview
05-17-2013, 12:57 PM
if it is noro it lasts in you for like 2 weeks (sheddding in stool IIR). I have found stomach flu highly variable all from a one time thing, to a 24 or 48 hour thing to something that comes and goes over 2-3 days. Sorry!

Tondi G
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
wait you threw up LAST Wednesday as in 5/8 and then your DD was sick last Friday 5/10? If it has been a week since your DD was sick I think you are fine to be out and about. If she was sick this morning then I would try to stay home for a few days. I would be holding my breath for another day or 2 in hopes that other family members don't come down with it.

I think a couple of days is fine .... I think incubation is anywhere from a day to maybe 3 or 4 days? My DS1 got a stomach bug once .... I thought it was something he ate. Then 2 or 3 days later I came down with it in the afternoon and DS2 and DH started in that same evening.

Hope everyone stays healthy!

here found this site ... it lists various causes for gastroenteritis and how long it takes to develop symptoms after being exposed

http://virus.emedtv.com/stomach-virus/stomach-virus.html

Melaine
05-17-2013, 03:37 PM
wait you threw up LAST Wednesday as in 5/8 and then your DD was sick last Friday 5/10? If it has been a week since your DD was sick I think you are fine to be out and about. If she was sick this morning then I would try to stay home for a few days. I would be holding my breath for another day or 2 in hopes that other family members don't come down with it.

I think a couple of days is fine .... I think incubation is anywhere from a day to maybe 3 or 4 days? My DS1 got a stomach bug once .... I thought it was something he ate. Then 2 or 3 days later I came down with it in the afternoon and DS2 and DH started in that same evening.

Hope everyone stays healthy!

here found this site ... it lists various causes for gastroenteritis and how long it takes to develop symptoms after being exposed

http://virus.emedtv.com/stomach-virus/stomach-virus.html

Interesting website. Thank you. It looks like mostly the incubation is somewhat short. Although none of those descriptions describe such a short lived illness.

I was sick this Wednesday, as in the day before yesterday.

mikala
05-17-2013, 04:11 PM
I'd stay away from friends at least 24 hours after the last episode and would disinfect hard surfaces like toilets, doorknobs, faucets, lots of handwashing for all especially after using the restroom. Given the 36ish hour transmission from you to your daughter I'd probably stay away from visiting people I care about, especially new babies, elderly, etc a little longer to make sure it's done at your house.

I hope your family feels better and it doesn't spread! This has been a rough year for stomach bugs in our area too.

Melaine
05-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Sorry, I see why my OP was confusing. DD1 was sick yesterday, so Thursday. About 12 hours after me.

brittone2
05-17-2013, 04:29 PM
I give it 24 hrs if at all possible. Sometimes we've been surprised to have diarrhea show up 1-2 days after vomiting ceases, so just when you think you are in the clear....

I also personally think it is different when you run out to Target 24 hrs later vs. have friends over to your home 24 hrs later. Depending on the bug, I'd probably give a heads up or refrain from entertaining in my home, because people had contaminated the bathroom(s), kwim? I think that's different than pushing around a Target shopping cart with clean hands 24 hrs later. If you are no longer vomiting, no diarrhea, etc. then I think going out to target (assuming the person is using proper hygeine) is different from having someone over to your house and using your bathroom where someone had a stomach bug 24 hrs ago.

And yeah, norovirus can live on some surfaces like carpet, etc. that can't be disinfected well for up to 2 weeks, as far as I know. Less of an issue with older kids and adults who can aim, but if you have a toddler who can't aim and vomits on the carpet, etc. then that could possibly be contagious to house guests longer, you know?

We've also had things last only a few hours, and then nobody else gets sick til almost a week later. Again, just when I think we're in the clear...someone pukes while we are out and about. But there's nothing you can do to really anticipate that.

Melaine
05-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Well, DH got it. Poor guy, much worse for him than it was for me. Of course, as always, I'm the one kept up ALL night and then dealing with the kids while he sleeps. And I'm going to have to get them out at this point or we will starve to death from lack of groceries.

hillview
05-18-2013, 08:08 AM
ugg I am so sorry

brittone2
05-18-2013, 11:15 AM
The last time I responded to a vomiting thread my kid was vomiting hours later. Same thing this time around. No sign of it, and then I responded to the thread, and DD was puking last night. I am not responding to any more vomit threads, LOL! Total jinx for us ;)

I hope your family is better soon. DD vomited almost on DS1 last night, so I'm quite sure he and I will be going down with it soon. Yuck.

Hang in there!

At least this time, my kids decided to wait til daddy was back from his work trip (barely!).

georgiegirl
05-18-2013, 11:56 AM
According to my friend who is an infectious disease doctor, you are personally in the clear 48 hours after exposure...meaning if your kids have it, allow 48 hours from the end before you can consider yourself lucky.

When we go to Disney, we are nervous for an additional 48 hours after we return.

But once the vomiting stops, stay away from other kids 24 hours.

Melaine
05-18-2013, 12:11 PM
The last time I responded to a vomiting thread my kid was vomiting hours later. Same thing this time around. No sign of it, and then I responded to the thread, and DD was puking last night. I am not responding to any more vomit threads, LOL! Total jinx for us ;)

I hope your family is better soon. DD vomited almost on DS1 last night, so I'm quite sure he and I will be going down with it soon. Yuck.

Hang in there!

At least this time, my kids decided to wait til daddy was back from his work trip (barely!).

Nooooo! So sorry!!!!

Melaine
05-18-2013, 12:11 PM
According to my friend who is an infectious disease doctor, you are personally in the clear 48 hours after exposure...meaning if your kids have it, allow 48 hours from the end before you can consider yourself lucky.

When we go to Disney, we are nervous for an additional 48 hours after we return.

But once the vomiting stops, stay away from other kids 24 hours.

That makes sense, thanks.