PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Detergent Question - Special "Darks" Detergent Worth the $$?

lizzywednesday
05-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Well, I have my new "gig dress" and I'm going to wash it this weekend, but checking the label it recommends "detergent for colors" and I was wondering:

(1) What the heck is different about "darks" detergents?

AND

(2) Do they make any that's unscented? (I'm allergic to dye & fragrance.)

Please help! I don't want my concert black to fade to gray.

TwinFoxes
05-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't know what's different, and I don't think I've seen one that's unscented (although the woolite one has a very light scent, I hate scented detergents in general but that one doesn't bother me). But the woolite dark detergent really does seem to keep my clothes from fading.

lizzywednesday
05-17-2013, 03:43 PM
OK, I took a peek at the ingredients and don't see much difference between my unscented up & up and the dark-formulated detergent besides the addition of dyes & fragrance.

I really can't have ANY synthetic fragrance in detergent or I have asthma attacks, no matter how light it might be to someone else. They just make me ill.

mikala
05-17-2013, 04:07 PM
For an important piece of clothing I'd just use cold water and a tiny amount of your regular detergent on delicate, then air dry or whatever the label indicates. I would try to avoid mixing it with rougher textured clothing to minimize snags or pilling.

edurnemk
05-17-2013, 04:41 PM
You can use just vinegar, it will "set" the color, clean, deodorize, etc. It also works as a softener. I have a friend who only uses vinegar and cold water for her dark colored clothes and they look like new.

123LuckyMom
05-17-2013, 07:30 PM
You can use just vinegar, it will "set" the color, clean, deodorize, etc. It also works as a softener. I have a friend who only uses vinegar and cold water for her dark colored clothes and they look like new.

That's great! I never thought to do that. I use vinegar in the wash often, but I've never used it instead of detergent. Thanks for that tip.

bigpassport
05-17-2013, 10:08 PM

How do you use vinegar in the washing machine? How much? When do I put it in? I have a front load washer.

TwinFoxes
05-17-2013, 11:35 PM
How do you use vinegar in the washing machine? How much? When do I put it in? I have a front load washer.

Not pp, but I just fill up the fabric softener dispenser. If I'm trying to set colors, like new jeans, I fill it up for a wash, and dump it in the water.

edurnemk
05-18-2013, 11:24 AM

To use in place of fabric softener (rinse cycle) just pour about 1/4 a cup in the softener compartment, add some water if needed to get to the minimum line.

To use instead of detergent I just wing it and pour about a cup in the detergent compartment.

lizzywednesday
05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
For an important piece of clothing I'd just use cold water and a tiny amount of your regular detergent on delicate, then air dry or whatever the label indicates. I would try to avoid mixing it with rougher textured clothing to minimize snags or pilling.

I tossed it a fine-mesh bag and washed it with a load of darks. I think it'll be fine.

I never tumble-dry any of my good clothing - too much of a risk. It's been sitting on a drying rack since it came out of the washer.

I do NOT want it to fade or pill - this is the dress I'm wearing at Carnegie Hall next week!!

I added a bit of vinegar to the rinse cycle.