PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for 2 yo in Hawaii

rolypoly27
05-18-2013, 02:04 PM
We are leaving for Hawaii next week and I still haven't decided whether to take a stroller or not. We currently have an Uppababy Cruz as our one and only and our 2 yo rarely rides. She is 2 yrs 4 mos to be exact. This is our first trip as a family so I would appreciate any advice.

What is our best option?

1. Don't take a stroller since our 2 yo doesn't ride much. We plan to do the beach, pool, shopping/sightseeing, restaurants, luau. Not many excursions or activities planned.

2. Take our Cruz - what bag (if any) should i gate check it in?

3. Rent a stroller for the time we are there

TIA!

georgiegirl
05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
We went when DS was 18 mo and took a full featured umbrella stroller. He napped in the stroller so it was a must for us.

ebp913
05-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I think you should just buy the travel bag for your Cruz from Uppababy and take that. They have that awesome policy where they will replace the stroller if it gets damaged in their bag. Cheaper than buying a new stroller and I think you will want the features of the Cruz like the basket and canopy while on vacation.

legaleagle
05-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I think you should just buy the travel bag for your Cruz from Uppababy and take that. They have that awesome policy where they will replace the stroller if it gets damaged in their bag. Cheaper than buying a new stroller and I think you will want the features of the Cruz like the basket and canopy while on vacation.

:yeahthat:

The canopy alone will be invaluable - it is super bright in Hawaii. (And I'm jealous since I won't be going back myself for quite a few more years!)

elektra
05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
We loved having our stroller in Hawaii when our kids were that age.
I have taken a P3, a Swift and a Volo.
Man, our P3 was trekked all over the island, including down on the beach. We were rough on that thing! But it was great for naps in the shade, and even just holding our beach chairs. Here was what it looked like on a typical day:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7371/8758431008_e3e01ba9b4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44911561@N02/8758431008/)

I might first look for a P3 or Aria or the like on Craiglist in the $20-$40 range that you wouldn't care if it got jacked up on the trip.

The swift was great too though- super sturdy, good shade, good recline. We bought the mountain buggy bag that went with it.

rolypoly27
05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. I do think I would be happier with a stroller but didn't want to pay $90 for the bag! Especially since their replacement program only covers the stroller up until the warranty ends, which is less than a year for us. If I can find it on sale somewhere, I agree it would be the best option.

For those of you that took your stroller to the beach, where did you leave your stroller? I'm curious because we are walking distance to the beach so we would be walking our toddler in it to the beach but I'm unsure what to do with it once we get there. Just park it on the sand next to us? It seems like sand would get everywhere.

ebp913
05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Another option would be to buy something used like an Indie and then sell it after you get back. That would do well on the sand and it has a good canopy as well. I bet you could come out even if you can find a good deal.

elektra
05-20-2013, 03:13 PM
We would just park it on the sand, yes. And yes, sand got everywhere. :)