PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to do anything for a spider bite?

MSWR0319
05-18-2013, 06:57 PM
DS woke up from his nap with what looks like a spider bite on his leg. We were outside right before his nap and I"m thinking one got in his pack and play. I washed it and put some Neosporin on it, should I do anything else? I also drew around it with a pen to make sure it's not growing.

cleo27
05-18-2013, 09:06 PM
I had a suspected spider bite a few weeks ago that made my finger swell up and bruise. I went to the doc and there's no t much you can do. You can give ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain. Hope it has cleared up!

azzeps
05-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Put some tea tree oil on it (diluted first)

ahisma
05-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Watch it and make sure it's a spider bite. MRSA presents in a way that looks like a spider bite initially. Draw a circle around it and see if it grows.

hellokitty
05-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Put some tea tree oil on it (diluted first)

I would use TTO too.

MSWR0319
05-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone. So far it doesn't look to be growing, but it's still a big red lump. I can see a tiny bump within it that looks like a pimple, which I initially assumed that's where he got bit. Should I have him checked for MRSA or how long does it take for this thing to clear up?

ahisma
05-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes. Check for MRSA tomorrow, please. That is how my DS's MRSA looked like. We were at the cottage, surrounded by the forest. We were positive that it was a spider bite. 4 days later, it doubled in size overnight. I think that it's easier to treat when you catch it sooner.

He's been MRSA free for a year now and is doing great.

MSWR0319
05-20-2013, 02:39 PM
So apparently DS just has super strong reactions to mosquitos. I felt a bit stupid but I have never seen a mosquito bite swell this bad.It definitely grew since last night because the redness was way past the circle I had drawn. She did say though that these type of bites are at risk for infection so I need to watch it. I'm glad I went though so I don't worry if it happens again. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

rlu
05-20-2013, 04:02 PM
She did say though that these type of bites are at risk for infection so I need to watch it. I'm glad I went though so I don't worry if it happens again. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

We took DS to see the doctor when a suspected spider bite kept spreading (MIL who is a retired nurse looked at it and sent us to the doctor). Trying to remember exactly what the doctor said - something to the effect if it blanches when pressed (turns white where you press) it is envenomated; if it doesn't, it could be infected. DS was not infected but his entire side was red- bigger than my hand. The doctor did rx a steroid(?) cream to stop the itching which helped immensely (I think DS was scratching unconciously) within two days. The bite was right at his waist band which did not help at all.