PDA

View Full Version : Have you been to WDW by yourself with a toddler?

adrimolina
05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I am going next week with my 29 month old and staying off site (which I haven't done in ages). Kind of freaking out, I have back and knee pain and am afraid it is going to be SO much work!

Any tips?

cntrymoon2
05-20-2013, 02:06 AM
The good thing is that you'll be able to just go at your own pace (unless I misunderstood and you are meeting people there?). If it is just the two of you, I think you'll have a blast, especially if your DC is a good stroller rider. Make sure to hit the playgrounds at Animal Kingdom (Dino Dig), Hollywood Studios (Honey I Shrunk the Kids) and Magic Kingdom (indoor playground while you wait for Dumbo).
It's going to be hot, so plan for indoor stuff in the middle of the day, or take a longer lunch break. Here's what we do during the hottest part of the day with a 3.5 year old:
Epcot- Ellen's Energy Adventure, Spaceship Earth, Finding Nemo, The Land boat ride
MK- Pirates of the Caribbean, Philharmagic, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, ride the train, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear (has a shaded/indoor queue)
Hollywood- playground, Muppetvision, Little Mermaid show, Disney Jr Live on Stage show
Animal- Nemo show, Lion King show, Rafiki's Planet Watch, playground

I'll be there on 5/30-5/31 :waving4:

pharmjenn
05-20-2013, 02:14 AM
Is the Flower and Garden Festival still happening at Epcot? If you enjoy that stuff, that would be a nice way for the baby to nap in the stroller and you can take in the beauty.

With a little one, it will actually be easier than with an older child. You can go at a slow pace, take breaks to play and people watch. Go back to the room and pool when you feel like it.

Have fun!

BayGirl2
05-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Flower and Garden ended this weekend. The Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground is for 4 and older, IIRC.

I agree you'll have a great time. My 20 mo was most interested in the rides she could see- like Alladan's magic carpets, the carousel, etc.

egoldber
05-20-2013, 09:14 AM
I have been by myself with a 4 year old and that was one of the best trips ever. :)

Sometimes it's easier to not have another adult. You can do whatever your and your child want whenever you want. A 2.5 year old is probably not going to want to go go go all the time. I would leave the parks for nap and then go back to that park (or a different park if you have Parkhoppers) afterwards.

We would also do things like ride the monorail from Epcot to MK and transfer parks that way but we were staying onsite and riding WDW transport exclusively.

billysmommy
05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
I have been by myself with a 4 year old and that was one of the best trips ever. :)

Sometimes it's easier to not have another adult. You can do whatever your and your child want whenever you want. A 2.5 year old is probably not going to want to go go go all the time. I would leave the parks for nap and then go back to that park (or a different park if you have Parkhoppers) afterwards.

We would also do things like ride the monorail from Epcot to MK and transfer parks that way but we were staying onsite and riding WDW transport exclusively.

:yeahthat:

DH was at a conference and Ds2 stayed home with my mom. Ds1 (4 at the time) and I had an absolute blast exploring whatever he wanted to do. He wore a Peter Pan costume as he loved that movie! We rode Peter Pan 5 times in a row and the last time the CM working it just let us stay on since we kept coming back in line :). We had ice cream for dinner one night while we waited for the Spectromagic parade to start. The monorail was just as exciting as being in the parks!

anonomom
05-20-2013, 04:08 PM
I took my girls when they were 4yo and 20 months. It mostly went fine -- just take things slow, let DD's energy level/schedule set the pace, and enjoy! It's nice that there will be only one kid, because you can focus on the stuff she can do.

adrimolina
05-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Thank you for your responses and suggestions!.
DH is at a conference and I driving there tomorrow, it will be an interesting 3 1/2 hr drive!
I am not as worried about the parks, I agree with what some of you said, that sometimes it is even nicer without another adult, because you can do whatever you want. Last time we took DH and he was in an awful mood and it really wasn't the best trip we have had ;)

I worry about the long drive and lugging around all the stuff we are bringing in the hotel and back, plus I think I am going straight to the park, so we are going to be exhausted after the park and it'll be a pain..especially for me w my health issues.

But I know it'll be worth it, I love Disney!

SnuggleBuggles
05-21-2013, 04:53 PM
The trip should be easy (3.5 hours is short!) and, yeah, the lugging is a pain but also brief. Don't stress about those little things. You'll get them done and have a fun trip. :)