PDA

View Full Version : I'm worn down.

gatorsmom
05-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm tired of unpacking. I'm tired of dealing with inconsiderate unhelpful people. I'm tired of DH traveling so much. I'm really tired of people I pay to help me who create more work for me.

We come home to our 18yo babysitter last night watching tv in our family room while all around her are the enormous mess she created with our kids. She didn't bother to put Cha Cha to bed with any pillows either because they were having a pillow fight and just left them on the floor. I had asked her to help babysit the kids this summer while I continue to unpack but I'm not sure I want her helping if she has no work ethic. Do I try to train her? She seems like a sweet girl who just needs someone to explain that she should pick up and clean up when babysitting. But I just don't want to have to train her for something she should know, IMO.

The maid who is charging $20/hr misses so much. She is a single mom and I want to give her the benefit of the doubt but I shouldn't have ti explain not to spend 30 minutes trying to scrape paint spots off my bathtub while she forgets to dust entire rooms. Sigh.

The new maid I'm trying out is only available certain days and they always change. She is also a single mom. I'm trying to work with her but I'm getting exhausted. The only other option would be to hire a service. But I'm not crazy about that idea.

I am missing boxes of stuff- clothes, kitchen items, kids toys, books, etc. My brother is the mover and still has stuff in storage but he swears it is old baby stuff. I want him to move it all to our new house so I can go through because I have a huge empty room where I coils sort through it but DH just keeps buying junk to fill the room! And he complains that I keep having my brother deliver boxes of our stuff and I should just have them deliver to the dump! Well yeah- we have more boxes to come why do you keep buying JUNK?

Most of all, I just want to spend my summer enjoying my kids, not more unpacking. I'm tired of it. And DH is not helping. Today he is at an all day soccer tournament with Gator. When am I going to get to church? When he is going to help put up pictures? I'm tired of him telling me to pay someone to do it. I'm tired of strangers in our house who don't care whether they wear their shoes on our new white carpet, or dont come when they say they will.

Im just tired of being overwhelmed and not getting much help. Thanks for letting me vent.

OKKiddo
05-19-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm tired of unpacking. I'm tired of dealing with inconsiderate unhelpful people. I'm tired of DH traveling so much. I'm really tired of people I pay to help me who create more work for me.

We come home to our 18yo babysitter last night watching tv in our family room while all around her are the enormous mess she created with our kids. She didn't bother to put Cha Cha to bed with any pillows either because they were having a pillow fight and just left them on the floor. I had asked her to help babysit the kids this summer while I continue to unpack but I'm not sure I want her helping if she has no work ethic. Do I try to train her? She seems like a sweet girl who just needs someone to explain that she should pick up and clean up when babysitting. But I just don't want to have to train her for something she should know, IMO.

The maid who is charging $20/hr misses so much. She is a single mom and I want to give her the benefit of the doubt but I shouldn't have ti explain not to spend 30 minutes trying to scrape paint spots off my bathtub while she forgets to dust entire rooms. Sigh.

The new maid I'm trying out is only available certain days and they always change. She is also a single mom. I'm trying to work with her but I'm getting exhausted. The only other option would be to hire a service. But I'm not crazy about that idea.

I am missing boxes of stuff- clothes, kitchen items, kids toys, books, etc. My brother is the mover and still has stuff in storage but he swears it is old baby stuff. I want him to move it all to our new house so I can go through because I have a huge empty room where I coils sort through it but DH just keeps buying junk to fill the room! And he complains that I keep having my brother deliver boxes of our stuff and I should just have them deliver to the dump! Well yeah- we have more boxes to come why do you keep buying JUNK?

Most of all, I just want to spend my summer enjoying my kids, not more unpacking. I'm tired of it. And DH is not helping. Today he is at an all day soccer tournament with Gator. When am I going to get to church? When he is going to help put up pictures? I'm tired of him telling me to pay someone to do it. I'm tired of strangers in our house who don't care whether they wear their shoes on our new white carpet, or dont come when they say they will.

Im just tired of being overwhelmed and not getting much help. Thanks for letting me vent.

I know exactly what you mean. I know I should make our house more of a home with our personal things but I too take forever now to get pictures hung up. I HATE unpacking. My DH manages to get his study and the living room unpacked (his computer place and the tv place) but then leaves everything else for me to do. As far as I know there isn't really a service to come in and do the hanging/decorating for you without it being more work for you to tell them where everything goes.

I also have had the same experience with housecleaners--it seems we only make it about 6 months with one before they get comfortable in the job and aren't as detailed oriented as I like. Hang in there though--you'll find someone who will really want to do a good job all the time. I'm still dreaming of an "Alice" like off of the Brady bunch (someone who cooks, cleans, does laundry, and the shopping). Sigh.

crl
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I completely understand. Completely. :hug:

Catherine

gatorsmom
05-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I know I should make our house more of a home with our personal things but I too take forever now to get pictures hung up. I HATE unpacking. My DH manages to get his study and the living room unpacked (his computer place and the tv place) but then leaves everything else for me to do. As far as I know there isn't really a service to come in and do the hanging/decorating for you without it being more work for you to tell them where everything goes.

I also have had the same experience with housecleaners--it seems we only make it about 6 months with one before they get comfortable in the job and aren't as detailed oriented as I like. Hang in there though--you'll find someone who will really want to do a good job all the time. I'm still dreaming of an "Alice" like off of the Brady bunch (someone who cooks, cleans, does laundry, and the shopping). Sigh.

me too! I want an Alice too!

BunnyBee
05-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Moving is exhausting. We moved 2.5 years ago and still have boxes to unpack.

I would tell the babysitter your expectations. No housekeeping, but you restore the house to the condition it was in when she arrived before she turns on the TV. And switch the maid to a flat fee, give her a reasonable checklist (laminated on a card?). Then her time management is her issue, not yours.

Hope you get settled soon!

Radosti
05-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Ahhh, first world problems! Lets try to look at it from a different angle, and maybe it won't seem so bad.

- You have a loving family - kids, husband and all.
- You have a brand new dream home and are not under strain for financing it.
- You have a maid to clean for you. She is a single mom and needs the income. You need to communicate your preferences and she will do as you like. I am sure she would hate to lose her job over it.
- You have a babysitter and the money to pay one while you do the unpacking. If you are not happy with her, there are college students home for the summer who would love the opportunity. I know, I used to babysit for a lady who was undergoing breast cancer treatment when I was home from college.
- You have your health. And in the end, that is what is important. Health, family and a roof over your head.
- Waiting on hubby to do certain projects may be a lost cause. I put up a pantry organizer today that I was waiting for hubby to put up for 2 months. It was easy and quick.

I bought these hooks: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Hook-82-20060-Hang-It-Up-Hercules/dp/B002I91JCE/ref=sr_1_18?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1369010054&sr=1-18&keywords=hook
They made hanging pictures a snap, no hammer needed. I put up decorative wall shelves with them as well.

barkley1
05-19-2013, 10:49 PM
We also moved about 2.5 years ago, and i JUST got my butt motivated the past 2 months to finish unpacking. Our formal living room (which we have no furniture for anyway) is designated "the junk room". Do you have to unpack it all now? maybe there's some stuff you can let go, and when school starts back up after summer, you can tackle it.

I get it about the maid. ours leaves gunk around the sinks in the bathrooms, and I can still find hairs on the floor after she cleans. UGH. How hard is it?? BUT, she's a single mom trying to get a cleaning business going, and tries really hard (i think?). She's new at cleaning, so I feel like I kinda need to "train" her, but I'm so not confrontational. I hate it when she gets done in 3 hours , but I still have to pay her as much as when it takes 4 hours :P

Babysitters and maids are dime a dozen, so I keep thinking I'll just get new if it doesn't work out, but easier said than done. HUGS.

MamaMolly
05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Oh Lisa, moving and unpacking sucks. We do it every few years and people think that if we do it so much it gets easier but really the work is the same. It is such a pain in the butt. This is the first time in YEARS I've made the effort to hang things and really unpack stuff and here I am a few months outside of moving again and I STILL have a couple of boxes that haven't really been gone through and unpacked. Not much, but it's still there.

If it is any consolidation, I find it always is really the worst right before it gets better quickly.

Twoboos
05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Moving and unpacking is the worst. We moved 18mos ago, and we still have a roomful of boxes. Some of which were the same boxes we had moved 9 years before and never unpacked!!! :duh:

The only thing worse is trying to get help that's actually helpful - from babysitters to maids to DHs!!!

Hugs!!

gatorsmom
05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
I bought these hooks: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Hook-82-20060-Hang-It-Up-Hercules/dp/B002I91JCE/ref=sr_1_18?s=storageorganization&ie=UTF8&qid=1369010054&sr=1-18&keywords=hook
They made hanging pictures a snap, no hammer needed. I put up decorative wall shelves with them as well.

Radosti! I haven't seen you around much anymore! I'm always hoping you will jump in with advice to pet threads. You re right- they are 1st world problems. But they are annoying problems nonetheless. And they are so petty that I can really only post about them here. ;)

If it is any consolidation, I find it always is really the worst right before it gets better quickly.

Oh good- because it's pretty bad around here right now.

The only thing worse is trying to get help that's actually helpful - from babysitters to maids to DHs!!!

Hugs!!

I wholeheartedly agree. :)

123LuckyMom
05-20-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry! That all sucks! I would put a ban on my husband's buying anything new until all the boxes were delivered and unpacked and all the pictures were hung. Maybe then he'd be a little more helpful! Fat chance, right?

LizLemon
05-21-2013, 01:28 AM
I hate moving, with all the packing and unpacking, etc - and you really are having a marathon move. I hope it's over soon!