PDA

View Full Version : Bob books question

diamond
05-19-2013, 09:55 PM
My 4yo old dd has started reading bob books a her schools. So exciting. I know Costco has some bob book sets. Does anyone know if thy still carry them? How much they cost. I want o get the blue beginner reading books but willing to get a set if cheaper. We dont ave a costco card so we need to request our friend and describe to them and give cash. Ty

wallawala
05-19-2013, 10:11 PM
We bought them about 2 months ago, but did not see them last week. You could call the stores in your area and see what they have in stock still.

They were $10 for each set- 20 books with stickers, and a bookmark/ door hanger thingy.

We got the sight words (K, 1st grade) and collection #2. Originally they had 5 boxed sets, Pre-reader, sight words, and col #1-3.

diamond
05-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Ty will check with store before requesting my friend

schrocat
05-20-2013, 12:22 AM
I was at Costco this morning and saw the BOB books there. This was at the Woodinville Costco in WA.

indigo99
05-20-2013, 12:35 AM
I saw them at my Costco recently. I'm torn on whether to get them though. I've read that the countries with the highest reading test scores actually don't start teaching kids to read until they're about 7. The younger kids are read to a LOT so they learn to really love books and want to continue reading for pleasure rather than equating it with school and learning or a job/chore. I know that some kids teach themselves to read and are really motivated, but then part of me thinks that the time is better spent just sharing nice picture books since the most important thing for them at this age is to love books and increase their vocabulary.

citymama
05-20-2013, 02:32 AM
I saw them at my Costco recently. I'm torn on whether to get them though. I've read that the countries with the highest reading test scores actually don't start teaching kids to read until they're about 7. The younger kids are read to a LOT so they learn to really love books and want to continue reading for pleasure rather than equating it with school and learning or a job/chore. I know that some kids teach themselves to read and are really motivated, but then part of me thinks that the time is better spent just sharing nice picture books since the most important thing for them at this age is to love books and increase their vocabulary.

As a mom of a 7 yr old who has been reading since 4 and LOVES LOVES LOVES reading (probably reads 3-4 hours a day, all of her own volition), I'm bewildered and alarmed by the notion of a) intentionally delaying reading till 7 and b) reading test scores being considered a determinant of success with reading rather than successful reading itself. Like my DD, I learned how to read at 4, pretty much self-taught by being read to a whole lot and having books around. No one had to teach me, and it sure was not a chore. I read like a crazy person all through my childhood and loved it, and I see the same thing, even more so, with DD1. Once she started to read it was like a whole universe opened up to her that she never knew existed. It's been a joy to observe.

We inherited hand-me-down BoB books and when we could tell she was starting to sight read short words, we figured, hey, why not see if she wants to read these. I think they were really helpful in making her confident that she could read - short words, short books - and I think within weeks of BoB books she was on to I can read books, and within months, to longer chapter books and Magic Treehouse!

I would never want to make reading a chore, nor to push a young kid to read when they aren't ready. But I would not encourage intentionally delaying reading - if your kid is ready, help them take the big plunge into reading! New worlds will open up and life will never be the same again. Congrats - so exciting!

diamond
05-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have bob books app? Webhavevan ipad we cold put it on. Is there one for every level? I'm looking to start with level 1. Those who've had it how is it compared to an actual paper book? Ty

curiousgeorge
05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Bought some BOB books at my Costco this morning. $9.99 per set and they had several to choose from.

citymama
05-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Does anyone have bob books app? Webhavevan ipad we cold put it on. Is there one for every level? I'm looking to start with level 1. Those who've had it how is it compared to an actual paper book? Ty

I would do the actual books. Best way to get a kid independently reading is on paper rather than screen.