PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sun Screen

Pilotbaby
05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi,
Looking for a natural sun screen for a 14 month old. Something not too sticky, easy to apply that stays on in water would be great. Thank you!

TwoBees
05-20-2013, 10:48 AM
last year we really liked Babyganics, but it's a combination of physical and chemical.

brittone2
05-20-2013, 11:00 AM
I use Alba Botanica mineral SS fairly often as that's quite affordable for us. I pay 5-6 bucks a bottle via Frontier natural products co-op ($10 to form a buying club, free shipping on 250, so I order every month or two with a few friends and get shampoo, conditioner, sun stuff, some cleaning products, body wash, castille soap, etc. through there). Right now it is on sale for 5.61 per bottle on the wholesale site (need a buying club to see the prices).

We've used CA Baby in the past, but the price kept climbing. We also use Badger sometimes.

hillview
05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
vanicream -- LOVE it.

marymoo86
05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
I just picked up Babo Botanicals from recs on here and a good sale at drugstore.com. I like it a lot.

AnnieW625
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple SPF 50. It is a combo. chemical and physical sun screen. We have also used Blue Lizard Sensitive (same as Blue Lizard Baby) in the past, but I got really itchy skin everytime I used it. Neither my DH or my DD2 complained about it though.

Nature's Gate Aqua Block SPF50 is also really nice and thick, but less sticky than Blue Lizard. I bought it at Whole Foods last year.

I go for what works, and it is a plus if it is physical, but not a huge requirement.

almostmom
05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
My absolute favorite sunscreen is KINeSYS Sunscreen Spray, Kids, SPF 30, Fragrance-Free (http://www.drugstore.com/kinesys-sunscreen-spray-kids-spf-30-fragrance-free/qxp213958?catid=184131). It goes on so smoothly, gets great ratings, doesn't turn my body or clothes white, and even smells nice! No burns in our house at all last year using it. It is expensive, but it's worth it. So easy to apply, either by spraying directly or onto my hands.

crl
05-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Blue Lizard Sensitive or Badger for lotion. CA baby for stick, although I am trying out some cheaper alternatives.

Catherine

mommylamb
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
last year we really liked Babyganics, but it's a combination of physical and chemical.
:yeahthat: I had it last summer and loved it. I just bought more today so that I can leave some at daycare.

They have a pump spray too. Has anyone tried that?

Philly Mom
05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
:yeahthat: I had it last summer and loved it. I just bought more today so that I can leave some at daycare.

I also use the babyganics. We have badger too. I have not tried the pump spray though.

Kindra178
05-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Blue Lizard Sensitive or Badger for lotion. CA baby for stick, although I am trying out some cheaper alternatives.

Catherine

I just tried the Aveeno stick based on recs here. Easy to apply and wide, which makes it even easier to cover wide swaths of face. We had a very hot weekend and my boys got a little too much color with it. Back to the drawing board.

georgiegirl
05-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I use neutrogena baby (the mineral one) since I know I don't get a rash form it. It's cheaper and easier to apply than California baby. I'm highly allergic to the chemical sunscreens, so I can't even put them on my kids.

psimpson3-5
05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
I use Alba Botanica mineral SS fairly often as that's quite affordable for us. I pay 5-6 bucks a bottle via Frontier natural products co-op ($10 to form a buying club, free shipping on 250, so I order every month or two with a few friends and get shampoo, conditioner, sun stuff, some cleaning products, body wash, castille soap, etc. through there). Right now it is on sale for 5.61 per bottle on the wholesale site (need a buying club to see the prices).

We've used CA Baby in the past, but the price kept climbing. We also use Badger sometimes.

The Whole Foods in my area has Alba sunscreen on sale right now. I am glad you like it as I've been thinking of getting it. I'll probably pick it up this week.

wendmatt
05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Coppertone pure and simple, it's cheap enough to slather it on all the time and it rates v. well on EWG.

anonomom
05-20-2013, 01:33 PM
I love the Babo Botanicals cream. It's really pricy, though.

AnnieW625
05-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I just tried the Aveeno stick based on recs here. Easy to apply and wide, which makes it even easier to cover wide swaths of face. We had a very hot weekend and my boys got a little too much color with it. Back to the drawing board.

So is that because they tanned or burned? My DD1 tans fairly easily and rarely burns and I just think that the tan part is due to her coloring because I can put on any brand of SPF50 that will completely protect me burn wise and give me zero tan, but she will still get a tan and no burn. DD2 has fairer skin than DD1, but so far hasn't been nearly as burn prone as I am doesn't burn or tan with SPF 50.

I need something easy to use ESP. DD1 for this summer that is cheaper than CA Baby.

Tenasparkl
05-20-2013, 01:45 PM

I like the pump spray. It's a nice happy medium as far as sprays go. It doesn't all come one in one globbly mess, but it isn't one of those where you can't see where the sunscreen landed either. It sprays a burst and then I rub it in pretty easily.

lizzywednesday
05-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Yes, it's what we used last year.

It makes application much easier and made it my go-to for daycare this year.

We also use the stick for DD's face.

MMMommy
05-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Blue Lizard Sensitive and EltaMD UV Daily.

Kindra178
05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
So is that because they tanned or burned? My DD1 tans fairly easily and rarely burns and I just think that the tan part is due to her coloring because I can put on any brand of SPF50 that will completely protect me burn wise and give me zero tan, but she will still get a tan and no burn. DD2 has fairer skin than DD1, but so far hasn't been nearly as burn prone as I am doesn't burn or tan with SPF 50.

I need something easy to use ESP. DD1 for this summer that is cheaper than CA Baby.

They didn't burn but they got tan. They don't have the coloring to get tan (blond hair, blue eyes times 2) but I don't want them getting any color. Normally I make them look like white ghosts with Blue Lizard or CA Baby, much to their dismay. They don't get any color with that.

mommylamb
05-20-2013, 02:08 PM
I like the pump spray. It's a nice happy medium as far as sprays go. It doesn't all come one in one globbly mess, but it isn't one of those where you can't see where the sunscreen landed either. It sprays a burst and then I rub it in pretty easily.

Yes, it's what we used last year.

It makes application much easier and made it my go-to for daycare this year.

We also use the stick for DD's face.

Did you guys get the SPF 50 or the SPF 30 pump spray? I just made an order at drugstore.com for sunscreen but unfortunately they didn't have the pump in stock (either one). I bought more of the cream and the face stick.

I am making an oath to myself to be really diligent about sunscreen from now on.

georgiegirl
05-20-2013, 02:11 PM
FYI: The babyganics pump spray has chemicals in it.

Pilotbaby
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all of these suggestions. I keep seeing the terms physical and chemical. Assuming the chemical means the sun screen has chemicals in it? What does the physical stand for? Also, loving the idea of a spray. Would be much easier to use that.

citymama
05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Blue Lizard Baby fans here. Love it.

Pilotbaby
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
My absolute favorite sunscreen is KINeSYS Sunscreen Spray, Kids, SPF 30, Fragrance-Free (http://www.drugstore.com/kinesys-sunscreen-spray-kids-spf-30-fragrance-free/qxp213958?catid=184131). It goes on so smoothly, gets great ratings, doesn't turn my body or clothes white, and even smells nice! No burns in our house at all last year using it. It is expensive, but it's worth it. So easy to apply, either by spraying directly or onto my hands.

Thank you. This gets great ratings on Amazon. Do you know if it's a natural product? Couldn't find that anywhere. Thanks again!

infomama
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
vanicream -- LOVE it.

:yeahthat:

kaharris83
05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
I use Safemama's sunscreen cheat sheet to pick sunscreen each year. She does a great job explaining chemical vs physical and what chemicals to look out for in your sunscreens.