PDA

View Full Version : Updated: talk me down...or not...ultrasound

megs4413
05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
So I was anticipating having an ultrasound next week. We should be finding out the gender. However, because of my high risk situation, my doc wants me to have the u/s with a perinatologist and they won't get me in for two extra weeks. not a huge deal, really, but I have kind of been hanging on to the idea of this gender reveal next week. I'm still not doing well...in fact, I've lost four more lbs over the weekend this weekend. I could really use some good news and something positive to keep me going. I'm considering plunking down the money to do an elective u/s this week or next. is that just crazy? I have an appt with my doc on thursday and I am going to BEG her to do a scan, but realistically, I will have to pay out of pocket. The practice I'm with will do it, so it's not going to be one of those "entertainment" places, so I'm comfortable doing the scan, but I'm wondering if it is an indulgence that I just shouldn't go for. If I could just be patient, you know? As it sits, I'm 23 days away from this scan with the peri. I guess I was just hoping to be 10 or less days away from this reveal.....is two weeks worth it? Ugh. Why couldn't they have had a spot open next week???

WDYT?

georgiegirl
05-20-2013, 03:43 PM
If you have the extra money, go for it. Peace of mind means a lot during pregnancy. I bought one of those dopplers, which definitely provided peace of mind between weeks 13 and 19 (when I could feel the baby move.). I don't think you are being irrational at all. Hugs. Sorry you are still losing so much weight.

kaharris83
05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
:hug: That stinks. I know how anxiously I counted down to those peeks, especially the gender one. I had a ton of scans with DS1 so I'm not scan adverse. I'd ask my doc for one at my regular appointment if I knew they'd do one. I'd just ask for a quick peek to see the gender. I did with DS2 at my 18 week appointment because I just couldn't wait for my 20 week Level II scan. Hope you're able to get a scan if you decide to!!

scrooks
05-20-2013, 03:58 PM
I think I would just ask my doc to take a quick peek. I am super scan adverse...I have horrible anxiety prior to them but in your case it sounds like it could do you some good to have some good news! I am actually surprised about your wait time at the peri. I have all my scans done at a high risk maternal fetal group and I have literally gotten in in 2 days when I have called to change an appointment. Can they put you on a wait list or can you call every couple of days to see about cancellations?

TwoBees
05-20-2013, 08:52 PM
If you have the extra money, go for it. Peace of mind means a lot during pregnancy.

:yeahthat:

Tondi G
05-21-2013, 12:32 AM
I am so impatient ... I would ask my ob if they could do a quick scan. After I had been through a couple of miscarriages I was friendly with the ultrasound tech.... she told me if I was ever worried and wanted to take a quick peek when I had come in for appointments with my ob, that I could stop in and she would do a quick check for me (on the house!). She was the best! So sweet ... too bad she was an US tech and not an Ob/Gyn!

If it's not a strain financially, I would ask for a quick scan and a gender check.

AngB
05-21-2013, 12:59 AM
We have done elective gender u/s for all 3 pregnancies. If I have another baby, I'm doing that 10-wk bloodwork to know (although obviously not only for that reason.)I was also high risk for prgs 2 and 3 and had monthly u/s plus some. But I didn't want DH to have to take off to be there if my mfm took a peek for me (she always did as soon as they could tell, I pretended like I didn't know yet), so that was a good argument for elective.

I easily had over 30 u/s for both boys between confirming the pregnancy, growth checks, and fluid level monitoring...they are both just fine.

(ETA: We did do them at a boutique/entertainment place, but the person was a real tech and the equipment was the same. It was like $70 and they guaranteed accuracy and let you go back for free if baby didn't cooperate. Our boys were more than willing to show the goods quickly so it was less than 10 min.)

Still-in-Shock
05-21-2013, 01:40 AM
I am actually surprised about your wait time at the peri. I have all my scans done at a high risk maternal fetal group and I have literally gotten in in 2 days when I have called to change an appointment. Can they put you on a wait list or can you call every couple of days to see about cancellations?

I agree with this. I am wondering why you would have to wait 2 weeks if you are high risk!

Definitely ask your OB for for a screening. There should be no reason why insurance wouldn't cover some of it, since it is common practice for a screening at this time. The OB could say no and insurance could opt to not cover it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. And do ask your OB about getting you in to the perinatologist earlier.

megs4413
05-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Well after dissolving into tears as soon as the doc asked, "so how are you doing?" She didn't hesitate at all to give me a peek. I have GREAT news!!! I am so happy and so relieved. It was absolutely the right thing to do. Yay!!!

tabegle
05-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Yay! So happy for you! Love doctors like that!

Philly Mom
05-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Awesome!!

georgiegirl
05-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Awesome! Did you find out the gender?

megs4413
05-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Awesome! Did you find out the gender?

Yes!!! It's a girl!!!!!

ShanaMama
05-23-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm late to this thread, but glad you did it. Now you can start envisioning your baby girl! That's so exciting!
My third pregnancy was harder than my other two. We wanted to be surprised with my 2 girls, but by the third I was such a mess that I needed something concrete to hold on to. Once I knew it was a boy I could dream about an actual baby instead of the alien that was overtaking my body.

georgiegirl
05-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Congrats!

Still-in-Shock
05-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Very happy for you. :)

boogiemomz
05-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Wonderful!! Love baby girls. :love-retry:

Tondi G
05-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Awww Congrats on your GIRL!!!! I'm glad you got to have a peek!

TwoBees
05-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Just seeing the update now. Congrats! I'm glad your doc was so understanding. :)