PDA

View Full Version : GATE or not?

moonsky
05-20-2013, 04:26 PM
DC just got a spot for a self-containted GATE(2nd-6th Grade). She was on the wait-list. It has accelerated math, reading, and writing. I think the benefit that DC will get is only math which I can supplement. She is very advance in reading already and motivated to read by her own. We visited the school. The GATE classes are nice; however, we have concern on the school location/environment(low-income area), the transition back to the middle school in our district, and the commute. The middle school in our district is better than the one this school feeds to. She will need to make new friends again at 7th grade if we decide to put her in the GATE. The commute which is 20-25 mins each way and I need to drop her off at the before school program everyday.

She is not bored at her current school and loves her current teachers and classmates. If we keep getting good teachers, I don't see much differences in term of the education between our school and the GATE program as I can supplement math at home. I know who she will be friend with as majority of them come from our neighborhood. The other one I have no idea.

WWYD?

Tondi G
05-20-2013, 05:13 PM
I would stay at your current school. A 25 minute commute in the morning is going to get old really quickly!