PDA

View Full Version : Eek....panic attack at t-ball....helmets and lice! Double eek update in post 26!

scrooks
05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
DD is playing tball for the very first time. Tonight was her first game and I about lost it when I saw the kids had 1-2 team batting helmets to share. All I could think about was lice! They have their own regular hats (I guess those could get mixed up...yikes). Do your kids have their own personal batting helmets? It seem a little over the top for this age but I can't deal with lice this summer...not while I am pregnant!

rlu
05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
We bought DS a batting helmet the first year - I couldn't stand the thought of exposure to lice. It still fits and he's in majors now (not sure the lifespan if never hit with the ball, need to research).

eta: we haven't had any kids try to wear his helmet - it could be he was very possessive when younger, now noone even trys as many have their own. There are shared team helmets (and the catchers gear) but not too many kids actually use them (we have 12 on the team).

elektra
05-20-2013, 07:44 PM
DD's and DS's teams had their own helmets, yes.
When I was a kid, even in some of the higher levels of playing, we always shared though!

o_mom
05-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Mainly here they share. Even if you bring your own and label it, it will get grabbed and used by all the players. :( You can't really restrict it unless you are a total B about it (at least the way ours is). I always had the boys wear their regular cap under the helmet - hoping that would be enough to keep them off.

scrooks
05-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Mainly here they share. Even if you bring your own and label it, it will get grabbed and used by all the players. :( You can't really restrict it unless you are a total B about it (at least the way ours is). I always had the boys wear their regular cap under the helmet - hoping that would be enough to keep them off.

This is what Dh just said...that everyone else would wear it...:shake:

I am still debating about running to dicks sporting goods tomorrow.

MommyAllison
05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Mainly here they share. Even if you bring your own and label it, it will get grabbed and used by all the players. :( You can't really restrict it unless you are a total B about it (at least the way ours is).

Yep, this is our experience too. There are 4 team helmets, but a few of DS' teammates love DS's shiny red helmet, so sometimes DS ends up wearing a team helmet. Frustrating, but no lice so far, crossing fingers!

BunnyBee
05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Our league requires each child has his/her own helmet. You could have your DS keep his cap on underneath the helmet. How is the dugout set up? My DS has a backpack that holds his bat and equipment. It hangs on a hook. He hangs his helmet on the hook when it's not on his head. You could tell DS to stick his in his backpack. Or volunteer to be the dugout parent.

o_mom
05-20-2013, 07:53 PM
This is what Dh just said...that everyone else would wear it...:shake:

He's right. And usually if you buy one, it's nicer, newer and a whole lot cooler than the team ones, so it gets grabbed first.

I would tell him to keep his hat on under the helmets and use the Fairy Tales spray before each practice and game.

scrooks
05-20-2013, 07:56 PM
You could have your DS keep his cap on underneath the helmet.

This is what I told her to do today. I missed her first at bat and apparently Dh (the assistant coach) had her wear the brand new helmet....ugh...I am going to be holding my breath for the the next 5 weeks!

scrooks
05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
?... use the Fairy Tales spray before each practice and game.

Another great suggestion! We are running out but I will go grab a new bottle!

o_mom
05-20-2013, 08:01 PM
LOL - I missed that it was your DD, not your DS - I would be even more freaked out. Boys at least you can get a short haircut and keep it under the cap. Fingers crossed for you!

BunnyBee
05-20-2013, 08:09 PM
This is what I told her to do today. I missed her first at bat and apparently Dh (the assistant coach) had her wear the brand new helmet....ugh...I am going to be holding my breath for the the next 5 weeks!

DD! I'm sorry. How many girls on the team? If there aren't many, you could get her a bright pink one. DS had one girl on his t-ball team whose helmet was covered in Justin Bieber stickers. :p

With a little girl, I'd probably do braids, Fairy Tales spray, and light some candles...

scrooks
05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
There are 5 girls on the team and 6 boys.... With my luck I would attract the girls with the pink helmet and it would probably be the most used!! I may try to al least pull her hair into a little pony tail before the next game....she has a short bob that she wants to grow out....and then drown her head in fairy tales spray. Luckily she is used to it and actually likes its slightly odd smell!

SummerBaby
05-20-2013, 08:36 PM

Both my DDs have their own helmets- due to my fear of lice. Despite labeling my younger daughter's, it was getting passed around. Not only do I worry about lice, but DD would go up to bat and would have no helmet because the girl on second base was wearing it. I now hold it during the game and she comes over to get it when it's her turn to bat. Do people think that's being over the top or b!tchy? I don't care!

Twoboos
05-20-2013, 08:39 PM
We have our own helmets. I think everyone on the team has their own, although there are general team ones. No one uses them. Except if you're the catcher, then you have to use the community one. ICK!!!

connor_mommy
05-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Buy your own helmet and make sure you label the front and back. DS gets upset when others wear his helmet and he will have them give it back.

boolady
05-20-2013, 09:31 PM
DD's team did not have a head lice scare but another t-ball team did so I got her a helmet of her own. I was fine with being the B; however, several other girls also brought one after that. I put her name and a few decorative stickers on it and it's never gotten confused with anyone else's.

Clarity
05-20-2013, 09:35 PM
We have team helmets but some of the girls bring their own. My dd has her own helmet and has since she started tball - she's now playing peewee ball. No one has ever asked to share her helmet. It may be the culture of the club. Just have her keep her helmet on her lap in the dugout - if she throws it into the pile it's going to get shared. My dd has long thick hair and stict instructions not to wear anyone else's because we had recent lice warning home from school.

Tea4two
05-20-2013, 09:44 PM
You can also pass along ringworm by sharing helmets. My friend's DS got a nice patch ringworm on his forehead, as did other kids on his team. This year, her younger DS got lice from helmet sharing. He also had his own helmet but as PP mentioned, other kids used it too.

niccig
05-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Kids have their own and there's a couple of team ones. THey have to be wearing their helmet and sitting down in the dug out, then DS puts it in his bag when he fields, so no sharing.

ilfaith
05-20-2013, 11:29 PM
My boys each have their own helmets for T-ball/baseball. There are one or two "team' batting helmets, in case somebody forgets to bring theirs, but all the kids seem to bring their own week after week.

essnce629
05-21-2013, 01:21 AM
I don't have any experience with t-ball, but DS1 has had lice FOUR times and helmet sharing would freak me out.

DS1 is in fencing now and when he first started all the masks (which cover their entire heads and face) were shared by everyone taking classes (little kids to adults). I doubt they had every been cleaned (they looked gross) and it freaked me out so much that I finally ordered DS his own mask. Luckily he never got lice from sharing those masks in the beginning, but I'm sure it would have happened eventually. I ended up spending $100+ on his own mask and jacket, but I now feel SOOO much better!

crayonblue
05-21-2013, 03:30 AM
There is no question, DD would be wearing her own helmet and there would be NO sharing!!!!!!!!

That said, I played softball for years and shared helmets and never got lice. Well, not from helmets anyway. I did get lice once as a kid but not while I was playing softball.

Corie
05-21-2013, 08:52 AM

I agree. All the boys use my son's baseball bat.

musicalgrl
05-21-2013, 10:17 AM
We were kind of grossed out too and bought our own helmet after the first game.

scrooks
05-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Double eek! I went to the sporting goods store to get her one and they had a few on display. I assumed it was just 1 of each showing the various options. I asked the guy if I could have a particular one, assuming he would get it from back....um no...these display ones were the only ones for sale. So I am trying to avoid lice buy buying a helmet that who knows how many people have tried on....kinda defeats the purpose! I came home an ordered one off amazon!

Thank you all for all of your responses!

emily_gracesmama
05-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Mine have helmets and I told them not to let anyone else use theirs. I told them they don't want to get bugs in their hair. They put their helmets in their equipment bag after they use them.