PDA

View Full Version : Update post #7 - Fever with no other symptoms?

MommyAllison
05-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Anybody want to help me guess what Dd2's fever is? Started yesterday around noon, held steady at 101-101.5 and broke overnight. She woke up from her nap at 4pm, fever is back. She is eating normally (a lot!), acting completely normal, sleeping normally, no other symptoms at all.

I check in with the pedi to see what's going around, she said roseola and a bit of HFM. The kicker is that on Wednesday, we are picking my sister and her 3 kids (youngest is only 3 weeks old) up from the airport, and on Saturday, BIL is getting married, with all three of our kids being in the wedding (plus rehearsal dinner Thursday). Not a good time to be sick!

Dd2 has had a very similar fever right before she turned 1, it broke and never turned into anything - I don't think she's had any other fevers, though plenty of colds. So - what do you think this is? With HFM, wouldn't we be seeing some mouth pain or other symptoms by now? We haven't dealt with HFM or roseola before. Thanks!

Tondi G
05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
A friends son had a weird fever that came on after having had a cold. We thought it was an ear infection or sinus infection maybe. She took him in to the peds and they said it was just a virus and he just needed to rest. Lasted a few days and then he was back to his normal self.

BunnyBee
05-20-2013, 08:15 PM
I was going to say roseola. Your sister may want to stay in a hotel. :(

brittone2
05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
My third had a clear case of roseola. I'm sure the others had it, but never the noticeable rash. DS2 had a classic case. High fever, lethargic, slept and nursed a lot for 2 days, and then fever broke and he had a pinpoint rash everywhere. I think when I looked it up, most kids have it by first bday. DS2 had it ON his first bday and we had to cancel his party.

UTI, silent ear infection, strep (although strep is less common in kids under 3 I believe), run of the mill virus, stomach bug that hasn't kicked in yet?

MommyAllison
05-20-2013, 11:02 PM
I was going to say roseola. Your sister may want to stay in a hotel. :(

Thankfully she isn't staying with us! We were just the ride from the airport, but if this fever doesn't go away by tomorrow afternoon we'll have to figure something out.

Thank you all! I'm glad to hear roseola isn't always super long - my niece had a fever for a week with roseola. :(

JBaxter
05-21-2013, 12:16 AM
I just spent 48 hrs with Jack having a fever up and down 100.4 -103 every time his motrin wore off it spiked up again. No other symptoms other tthan tired and grumpy. Ate light lots of cool things < popcicles, applesauce etc> This morning nothing other than a slighty stuffy nose.

MommyAllison
05-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Update: It was roseola. Her fever ended up going up to 105.3 (and I took that temp 45 min after Tylenol!). Thankfully Ibuprofen brought it down fast, and kept it down. Her fever lasted about 40 hours total, so she was healthy again in time for the wedding. Her rash was much milder than I expected (thanks, google), her fever broke very early Wed morning and I didn't notice the rash til I happened to look at her back in very bright light Friday afternoon. So thankful it was a quick virus! Thanks again everyone!