PDA

View Full Version : Kindle free time?

09Mom
05-20-2013, 08:17 PM
I am thinking of using some airline points to get 4 1/2 yo dd a kindle fire hd. She has an old iPhone that she uses as a touch. We also have a nook tablet that we mostly use for browsing and watching movies (I love that it has a micro as slot that I load up movies on) and an iPad 4 that I got last week using points. The iPad4 is mostly mine and can be used with permission. I am thinking the kindle fire because of the free time program where we can download unlimited apps and books, mostly for the books. Apps are cheap. I found books to be expensive.

Does anyone use kindle free time? Is it worth using my points to get the fire?

tmahanes
05-20-2013, 08:23 PM
We have it and really like it... In B's age there are about 70 books probably and lots of apps and shows. Definitely worth the money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

okinawama
05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
I love the kindle free time. I love that it has the timer options, as I find that I can completely loose track of time DS is on the "games" section much longer than I'd like. I love that he can't access anything I don't want him to and he can't unintentionally purchase anything. I love it!

hillview
05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Just an aside WHY CAN'T APPLE DO THIS?

that is all

boilermakermom
05-20-2013, 09:59 PM
I love the Free Time, and DD (age 4.5) loves the Kindle Fire. We chose the Kindle Fire over the ipad because of the parental controls. Apple seriously lacks in this department, IMO. I like knowing what DD is watching, playing with, etc.

DD had an old ipod touch that she used mainly for watching cartoons on youtube, and playing apps. I didn't like that she watched cartoons on youtube, for obvious reasons.

She hasn't asked why she can't watch youtube on the kindle, hasn't occurred to her i guess. She loves the apps, and loves the books and other videos too!

PunkyBoo
05-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Ok Punkin and I both have kindle fires and I must be living under a rock because I have no idea what free time is. Can someone enlighten me?

ahisma
05-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I like FreeTime, but NOT FreeTime Unlimited (the subscription service that gives you access to apps).

I didn't like their selection. I'd prefer to curate a selection of apps for the kids. I also found that the books were above my DS's reading level, which kind of surprised me since he's a strong reader for his age.

I follow the Amazon apps of the day and some free android app pages and have assembled a pretty good selection. I'm much happier that way, as are they. That said, I'm obviously a bit Type A.:rotflmao:

ETA: A big bummer for us was the fact that you cannot read library books in freetime. You can read them through the Overdrive app, but then that counts as an app, not reading when you use the timer. DS is a rule follower, so it works. Truly, he reads physical books more than he reads on the Kindle. I'm cool with that.