PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki parents

ahisma
05-21-2013, 12:04 AM
DS is wrapping up year 2 of Suzuki violin. I'm underwhelmed by his progress. I'm not the Suzuki parent, DH is. That goes fine. My concern is that DS is exceeding expectations time and time again, but to my ear (piano background, not violin), they aren't polished. Yet, his teacher is a-okay with them.

DS is a kid who can handle firmness and will rise to the occasion. He's a rule follower and is eager to please. He values hard work and would happily work to polish a piece. There's no reason to let him slide by, which is what I feel is happening. DH is in agreement.

To those more experienced - WWYD? Am I on target, or off base?

daniele_ut
05-21-2013, 01:17 AM
It sounds to me like you need to find a new teacher. DS's violin teacher is quite the opposite - a total perfectionist. DS had a hard time at first because he hates making mistakes and he would point out every little one. She does it gently and is amazing with young kids but he's such a people pleaser that it was hard for him initially. He's really settled in with her, though. My dh is cellist and he is generally the Suzuki parent as well.

mom2akm
05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
OP, I can feel your frustration and your concerns are valid. But the first thing I would do is to open up and have a discussion with the private teacher about your concern. I am sure he or she will be more than happy to help. At the mean time, I would think about this:

1) Assuming the private teacher has other older and more advanced students, how do they play? Do their pieces sound polished to you?
2)How old is the child? 2 years of learning may be a lot for a 10 year old. But if the child starts very young, 2 years is not a long time because other non musical skills are being learnt.
3) Does the teacher point out one problem area on each lesson so that the kid can concentrate on one problem at a time? My DD has been learning the violin for 2 years and for weeks we've been working on just a relaxed straight left thumb. But I know this is extremely important because without that she will not be able to shift or do vibrato in more advanced pieces. So, the teacher is working on a skill that seems unrelated but very important. I told DD that this is like putting a puzzle together, you can not see the whole picture until you finish the whole puzzle.
4) At home, does the home teacher follow all the teachers instruction while practicing? This is really harder than I think. I have to consciously remember to practice (everything) that the teacher has taught.
5) How much listening is being done? Obviously the more the better.
6) How much review is being done? Obviously the more the better. Our teacher suggests spending most of our practice time reviewing old pieces. I've heard (from another teacher) that the ideal time allocation is 1/3 practice time on reviewing, 1/3 on new pieces, 1/3 on technical skills.

I hope you can work something out with your teacher soon!