PDA

View Full Version : Speech regression?

Melaine
05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
DD2 (6.5) is having trouble with a couple of words all of the sudden....she is saying "purple" as "pour-pull" and "purpose" as "pour-puss"...and she can't seem to correct it. She has missing teeth, is that related? I'm at a loss...WDYT of this?

lalasmama
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
DD did this when she heard that words could be said differently--such as regional differences and such. We had "ont-ie" instead of "ant-ie", "a-gain" instead of "a-gin"... others I can't remember now!

In the examples you gave, it sounds like it's with the "or"/"ur" sound. Are there other combinations she's having trouble with? Any chance she's having allergies or a sore throat? Just ideas! I'm making both of those sounds, and they seem more "back of mouth" and "lip" sounds, versus "tongue-to-teeth" sounds, which would make me wonder about sore throats or allergies (allergies because of post-nasal drip), and the sound originating down there.

Melaine
05-21-2013, 12:35 PM
She definitely has allergies and we have all been sick so that's totally a possibility. Thanks Mimi.

BDKmom
05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Has she maybe been around someone new who says them this way? She could have picked it up from somewhere.

BabbyO
05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
I think PP's may have some valid explanations, but I also wanted to ask if with her allergies and being sick - are her ears plugged. I started loosing hearing due to chronic ear infections. I was a little younger, but I was 4 or 5 when my speech started regressing and it was due to the fact that I couldn't hear. I literally couldn't hear the correct sounds to make, nor could I hear if the sounds I was making were incorrect.

That led to my first set of tubes - it helped. Other indications were constantly asking "what?" and constantly moving closer to TV or other sounds...(for some reason the TV thing stuck out for my parents).

Melaine
06-03-2013, 12:50 PM
BabbyO, I forgot to respond to this but I think you may be on to something. I'm calling a friend and thinking about having her hearing tested. The problem has persisted and she is definitely having cold/allergy symptoms

Any other feedback is appreciated!

Melaine
06-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Has she maybe been around someone new who says them this way? She could have picked it up from somewhere.

Not that I know of....but she was talking a bit funny for a short time once and I realized she was copying someone...so possible yes!