PDA

View Full Version : What NYC Play to see

lil_acorn
05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Potentially going to NYC with a gf in a few weeks. What play should we go to or other must do for a gals weekend out?

elliput
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
The show I would want to see right now is Kinky Boots (http://kinkybootsthemusical.com/).

lizzywednesday
05-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella is amazing; my BFF, her DD, and I saw it in mid-March, shortly after it opened. (This was my "pick a show" show - I usually pick them using the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade performances as my guide because they either do a medley or their showstopper number. If it impresses, I pick the show; if not, I pass. It's served me well for the last few!)

The soundtrack was just released on digital download (iTunes, etc.) May 7th.

I'm also looking at Kinky Boots, which is about a failing shoe business that goes into fetish footwear to save the business. Music by Cyndi Lauper; book by Harvey Fierstein. Offbeat for sure.

Pippin also just opened - it's got a great soundtrack (Stephen Schwartz) but I hear it can be boring to watch; it was our high school's spring musical in 1993 and that's mostly what I heard from people who went to see it. It's a fanciful account of Pippin the Short, who was the son of Charlemagne. The commercials make it look good! (Also a revival like Cinderella.)

Those would be my top 3, but what kinds of things do you & your friends enjoy? That can help me narrow it down.

lil_acorn
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
I haven't seen a show in ages, but we've seen the big ones - Phantom, wicked, chicago, lion king, annie get your gun

boolady
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
DH and I saw Lucky Guy, with Tom Hanks. I loved it, far more than I expected to. Other shows I'd see would be Jersey Boys (saw it-- loved it), Once (would like to see it) and Book of Mormon (would like to see it).

I think it depends on what you're looking for...do you want a more serious play, or do you want something more lighthearded? Do you prefer plays or musicals?