PDA

View Full Version : LL Bean backpack for kids

khalloc
05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
DS is starting Kindergarten this fall and I need to get him a backpack. I have plenty of time, I know! But I have a $10 LL Bean giftcard that is expiring today and I was thinking of using it to buy him a backpack.

He's only 5 and average weight/height. I'd like to get a regular sized backpack because in the winter he will have to schlep his snowpants and hat/gloves and potentially boots (if he doesnt want to wear them), or sneakers, in his backpack to/from school. Is the Critter backpack or Original book pack big enough? Or do I have to go up to the Original PLus?

DD has a Garnet Hill backpack which was big on her when she started K, but now is OK (she is 7 now). So if anyone can relate the LL Bean packs to the Garnet Hill one, that would be great. I could also just use the giftcard on a water bottle and buy a backpack later. Especially if another brand might be better. Maybe DS will prefer one with a design on it? I dont know...

jjordan
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
The original should be big enough; I don't know how big the critter one is, and I don't know anything about GH packs either.

If you can find an inexpensive pair of snow pants somewhere (consignment shop, yard sale?) and keep them at school, it will be a lot easier than him dragging his to and from each day. So I'd keep an eye out for that, and also maybe for another pair of boots (same thing).

westwoodmom04
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
DS is starting Kindergarten this fall and I need to get him a backpack. I have plenty of time, I know! But I have a $10 LL Bean giftcard that is expiring today and I was thinking of using it to buy him a backpack.

He's only 5 and average weight/height. I'd like to get a regular sized backpack because in the winter he will have to schlep his snowpants and hat/gloves and potentially boots (if he doesnt want to wear them), or sneakers, in his backpack to/from school. Is the Critter backpack or Original book pack big enough? Or do I have to go up to the Original PLus?

DD has a Garnet Hill backpack which was big on her when she started K, but now is OK (she is 7 now). So if anyone can relate the LL Bean packs to the Garnet Hill one, that would be great. I could also just use the giftcard on a water bottle and buy a backpack later. Especially if another brand might be better. Maybe DS will prefer one with a design on it? I dont know...

I believe the LL Bean are considerably smaller than the Garnet Hill but I don't recall what size LL Bean we ahd. They should have the dimensions online so you can compare.

Kindra178
05-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Huge fan of the Critter pack for k-2 set. I love the one big pocket for stuffing snowpants or fleece. The zippers are not covered so it makes zipping and unzipping easy. It easily holds a fleece/snowpants, folder, library books and planetbox. Ds1 has been using his since August and it looks brand new. He will definitely be using it for second grade this fall and probably third. The only negative is the worthless water bottle pocket. We use the front pocket for his funtainer; that works fine.

ttownfrogs
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
We were really happy with the LL Bean original. I bought one for DSS in 1st grade. He's a freshman now and still has it, but is opting for something more 'cool' that doesn't have his name on it ;)

I just bought a new 'family' one. DH was whining about carrying the cute Tinkerbell bag I have for DD. Now I have a gender neutral one with our last name. Now that we're out of the stroller, I need something to sling on my back.

arivecchi
05-22-2013, 10:25 AM
DS is currently in kindy and he has an Explorer in a camo print:
https://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/278908_33650_42?wid=95&hei=109

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75461?feat=506219-GN2&page=bean-s-explorer-backpack

The backpack still looks great and has withstood a lot of abuse! I like that it is roomy enough for his lunchbag, school folder and extra clothes/shoes if necessary. He will be using it again in first grade.

Simon
05-22-2013, 10:29 AM
We bought the red critter backpack, this one (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64782?productId=1102216&subrnd=0&qs=3016887_pmd_google_pla), for Ds1 entering 1st grade. The quality is great and Ds1 loves it BUT, it was too wide for his locker with those side pockets. He has to share a locker which made it even worse (but it didn't fit even when it was the only thing hanging in there) so we switched to a cheap and narrower backpack after just a few months. I should have returned it but figure we'll hold onto it for later use. ETA: its also pretty big on him. He'll be able to use it for at least the next 3-4 years if he stuff doesn't outgrow it first.

egoldber
05-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Younger DD got the regular Critter for K. It's been great for her.

ETA: They don't have lockers, only a wall of hooks.