PDA

View Full Version : UPS Employment question

petesgirl
05-22-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm just curious if anyone here is/has a significant other who works full-time as a UPS Driver for a career?

DH has worked part-time for them for 5 yrs and he also works in the clinical lab of a large hospital (that his his career, what he went to school for although he wants to use it a stepping stone to get more into the business end of things). Anyway, he doesn't earn much hourly at UPS but we love the amazing healthcare benefits.

Recently he has been thinking of becoming a UPS driver, which would mean getting out of the medical world. From our research, the actual take-home pay for both careers would be about equal--but the health insurance would always be better at UPS. I know they work long days, though, especially near the holidays but in the medical world, working holidays and weekends is a must also.

I'm just curious if those you may know who drive for UPS love/hate their job and how it affects the family.

queenmama
05-22-2013, 12:31 AM
FIL worked for them when DH was a kid and it was really hard on his family, the long hours. Ditto my uncle. They work you to death. FIL has been a courier for FedEx for about 25 years now and likes the company loads better, though holidays are typically insane.

Lara

ahisma
05-22-2013, 12:50 AM
My friend works there. She's been there 14 years and is just now eligible for a driving route. That may vary by location, but it's worth making sure that it's even a possibility. She was part time for a long, long time before becoming eligible for full time.

sophiesmom03
05-22-2013, 07:04 AM
I have a family member who works there. Started in warehouse and worked his way into corporate sales. Healthcare benefits are outstanding, really amazing and they have dc who really need that.

On Christmas Eve and a few other holidays he and other coworkers drive trucks so that more of the regular drivers can be home.

I've thought of workin for them, the benefits are so great.

MSWR0319
05-22-2013, 07:52 AM
My friend's DH works as a driver and he loves it. He doesn't have his own route, but drives everyday as a replacement. He actually prefers this for the variety and has turned down his own route twice. I know they love the benefits (which is saying a lot because she's a bit of a complainer) and it does get hectic around the holidays. But around here they've done a lot of things to make the routes faster so he's usually home by 6, unless he's on a late route. She doesn't really complain too much about him not being home, just at the holidays and even then they usually have two people on the truck so it goes as fast as it can.

ETA I know he is able to get out early sometimes because I saw him at the dr's office with their son not long ago.

petesgirl
05-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the input. He turned in a letter of intent and will now be wait listed until a route comes available. So who really knows how long that could be. He is thinking he would like to do driving for a while and eventually work his way into management. I told him to start talking with other drivers and get their pros and cons.

I hate big decisions that will affect the rest of your life. Especially where money is involved.