PDA

View Full Version : Sores on the sides of mouth in toddler

fedoragirl
05-22-2013, 02:26 AM
I have looked up WebMD and other web sites and cannot find a straight answer. DD had scarlet fever last week. She finished her last dose of antibiotics yesterday and I noticed she has large, white sores on both corners of her mouth. She has also complained of her gums hurting slightly when eating. I didn't think much of it as she couldn't tell me where it hurts. Her lips have been peeling and cracking since she started the antibiotics too. Is this a side effect of scarlet fever, strep? What can it be? Do we go back to the ped.?

MamaInMarch
05-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Could it be thrush? Sometimes antibiotics can cause an overgrowth of yeast.

fedoragirl
05-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Thank you. I think it is. I will wait till tonight and then, call for a prescription or something. It seems better now that she has stopped the antibiotic. I'll research the medicine itself. Thanks!

marymoo86
05-22-2013, 10:02 AM
I was going to say thrush as well. Probiotics are key to help clear it up. If your DD can tolerate dairy, yogurt is good way to help heal.

Still-in-Shock
05-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I would not wait until tonight though; why not call the ped's office so the dr knows about it, and if if a change is needed, it can be done during office hours? I just hate dealing with answering services, since I never know how long it will take for the doctor to call back.