PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a floor model mattress?

Mommy_Mea
05-22-2013, 01:26 PM
DH are in the market for a new mattress soon. I just got an email from a local furniture store that they are selling their floor model mattresses for 60% off sale price, which would be a sweet price.

But, it is the floor model. Lots of people sitting and touching it. It sat horizontal with minimal covers, gathering dust.

Totally gross or sweet deal? Poll coming shortly...

boolady
05-22-2013, 01:34 PM
No, I would 't. I'm not much of a germaphobe, but the number of people who would have sat, laid, and had their shoes on my mattress would make a floor model a no go for me.

lizzywednesday
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
We actually did once to save some money.

It's a good mattress, but it's a full and we've since upgraded to a king.

hillview
05-22-2013, 01:51 PM
I said maybe only if money was a major factor for getting what I wanted but in general, no.

Binkandabee
05-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I just couldn't do that, no. And this is coming from someone who has bought two used twin mattresses.

Mommy_Mea
05-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah, the more I ponder it, the more I lean towards "no". Our plan is that a new mattress will be our Christmas gift to each other this year, so we can swing the cost eventually.

I am easily swayed by a "bargain", but try and make sure it is a worthy bargain, and not just being cheap.

marymoo86
05-22-2013, 02:18 PM
No, I would 't. I'm not much of a germaphobe, but the number of people who would have sat, laid, and had their shoes on my mattress would make a floor model a no go for me.

:yeahthat:

I would also be concerned if that impacts the warranty in any way.

Mommy_Mea
05-22-2013, 02:20 PM
:yeahthat:

I would also be concerned if that impacts the warranty in any way.

Oh, excellent point!

bostonsmama
05-22-2013, 03:42 PM
My only no is that it already has a ton of wear. It's more likely to sag and get divots more quickly. So, even with a reduced price, unless it's only been on the floor a week--and I wouldn't trust what they tell you--it's not a good value for your dollar.

SnuggleBuggles
05-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Sure. Not like someone was naked on it or having sex or releasing bodily fluids on it. Put a mattress pad and sheet on it and call it a day.

AnnieW625
05-22-2013, 03:52 PM
For the perfect mattress yes I would. I am with SnuggleBuggles on this one. I mean it like clothes (ESP. bras), you probably don't want to know how many people have tried them on before.

JanBaby
05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
For me the yuck factor is minimal - as others have said, anyone sitting on it would be clothed and usually parts are covered in plastic. I'd be more concerned with the wear and tear.

ilfaith
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM

While I am sure the mattress would be far cleaner than anything I might sleep on in a hotel room, I still don't like the idea of bringing a used mattress into my own home.

crl
05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
I would mostly be concerned about wear. It's not that icky to think about people on it as they were clothed and in public so hopefully no sex or vomit, etc. so for me I guess it would come down to whtether I could afford what I wanted new and how much $$ is saved.

(As an aside, I wouldn't buy a used floor model because I have been super happy with our Ikea mattresses for very little money so I would just buy another one. But I understand not everyone has an ikea nearby and not everyone wants an ikea mattress.)

Catherine