PDA

View Full Version : What time for 4yo birthday party?

indigo99
05-22-2013, 01:53 PM
I want to go ahead and schedule a joint party at a bounce house for my boys (their birthdays are two weeks apart), but I'm not sure what I should choose. What would you do in this situation?

Our naptime is 2:30-4:30 (probably only DS2 will be napping though)
We don't attend church, but most of our guests probably do.
DS will be the oldest in his class, and all of the guests will be age 2-4.
We will not be serving food - only cake and icecream.
The party is 2 hours long.

eta: Part of my problem is that we aren't serving food. Friday 5-7 would work for my boys, but I know that doesn't work with most people's dinner times. I'm thinking about 10:30-12:30 Saturday morning or 4:30-6:30 Saturday afternoon. Sunday would need to be before our naptime so probably 12-2, but I suspect that may be conflict with lunchtime for those who attend church.

twowhat?
05-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Hmmm, that's a toughie because I might expect to be served food other than cake/ice cream at any of those times!

Can you do Saturday morning but shift it up 10am-noon? I just feel like once you encroach into noon territory is when people start thinking of food.

georgiegirl
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Both options require food. Is 9:30-11:30 too early?

♥ms.pacman♥
05-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, that's a toughie because I might expect to be served food other than cake/ice cream at any of those times!

Can you do Saturday morning but shift it up 10am-noon? I just feel like once you encroach into noon territory is when people start thinking of food.

:yeahthat:

i was thinking the same thing. for our last bday party (dd) it was mostly 2-4 year olds, both my dcs still nap (2-4pm) and we did a 11am party. but of course, we served lunch.

i voted Saturday morning but i'd think you'd have to start it no later than 10am, other wise it starts going into lunch time.

i'd have no prob taking my DCs to party Friday or Saturday evening, though i wouldn't go if no dinner was served. though i think if you did it Satuday or Sunday at 3:30 or so it would be perfect, though that would cut into your kids naps (and others may arrive late, due to their kids napping). Maybe you can just put your DC down for naps earlier that day?

crl
05-22-2013, 02:10 PM
I think all those times suggest more food. What about 9 to 11 am?

Catherine

123LuckyMom
05-22-2013, 02:10 PM
You may have to have food. 9:30-11:30 will definitely interfere with church. Most folks around here do 11-1 but have lunch.

KrisM
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Yeah, all those times seem like food times to me, too.

How about Saturday 10-11:30. Does it have to be 2 hours?

Or can you start nap a bit late and do a 1-3 pm party?

div_0305
05-22-2013, 02:28 PM
I voted Sat. late afternoon, but your time also includes early eve. I think 2-4 or 3-5 would be ideal for no food, but I'll admit that we do food parties regardless of time.

indigo99
05-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Are there any non-food times that would work? The party is for up to 24 kids, and we aren't going to be able to serve food for that many. (We will be inviting both of their classes which will likely have around 10-12 kids for each. I doubt they'll all come, but you never know. It will be the beginning of school so they may be wanting to meet everyone.)

We can't do middle of the day or my kids would act terrible since that's their naptime. They won't nap earlier. We've tried that before. They wake up around 8 most mornings so I think that 10 is probably the earliest we could do it.

eta: I could get a few pizzas to serve if that solves the problem, but does it really? Parents will all be there with their kids so is it enough to just feed the kids? Also, taking time to eat will take away part of their time to play. (actually, I checked, and it appears that you get 90 minutes to jump and 30 minutes in the party room so would that be enough time for cake, icecream, and opening gifts for two kids WITH food?)

justlyn
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I think Saturday morning would be good. You could have some snacks (chips/dip or something healthy or both) in case some folks thought there would be food. I wouldn't expect a meal at that time.

DD recently went to a party that was 1 - 3 and they just served cake. I was concerned about her missing nap time. She's 3 1/2 and it's becoming more optional for her though (I wish it wasn't!). At 2 I wouldn't have taken her.

BabbyO
05-22-2013, 02:52 PM
I think Sunday interferes least with meal times. Saturday from 10:30 to 12:30 would be my second option, but I would expect a meal with both of those (and the other times mentioned). I would plan to offer hardier snacks - veggies, cheese & crackers. BUT I would also make it clear that ONLY cake/ice cream and (if you decide to) light snacks so that parents can plan ahead. If Pizza wouldn't be a problem....I'd offer that...seems like the best option.

I could bump lunch a little early for the Sunday 12-2 time or give a decent snack before the Saturday 10:30 to 12:30 time. The afternoon/evening times on Fri and Sat would be REALLY hard for us.

indigo99
05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
You can't bring your own food, but it's $3 child for pizza so I guess I could do that. Will 30 minutes be enough time though? I feel like they have to open their gifts at the party since that's what's done around here, but they can do it at the same time while everyone eats.

iaam
05-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Are there any non-food times that would work? The party is for up to 24 kids, and we aren't going to be able to serve food for that many. (We will be inviting both of their classes which will likely have around 10-12 kids for each. I doubt they'll all come, but you never know. It will be the beginning of school so they may be wanting to meet everyone.)

We can't do middle of the day or my kids would act terrible since that's their naptime. They won't nap earlier. We've tried that before. They wake up around 8 most mornings so I think that 10 is probably the earliest we could do it.

eta: I could get a few pizzas to serve if that solves the problem, but does it really? Parents will all be there with their kids so is it enough to just feed the kids? Also, taking time to eat will take away part of their time to play. (actually, I checked, and it appears that you get 90 minutes to jump and 30 minutes in the party room so would that be enough time for cake, icecream, and opening gifts for two kids WITH food?)

We have done parties like this many times. IME, 30 min is plenty of time for pizza and cake. Do you have to open presents at the party? I have never been to a party where that's been done.

It is always nice to have extra pizza for parents (we always do) but I don't think you have to.

I do agree with PPs that all the time frames suggest food.

ETA: just saw your comment above about opening presents, so ignore my question.

twowhat?
05-22-2013, 03:01 PM

All the jump/gym/indoor playspace parties that I've been to have had a place to put presents, but the bday kids did NOT open gifts during the party (and these parties were all 2-hr blocks too...90 min play, 30 min to do food/cake/etc in a private room...the other common setup was 60 min to play, then 30 min to eat pizza/cake/etc, then wash hands and back out to play for another 20-30 min). The kids would rather play. For the parties around mealtime, the kids have actually downed the pizza - they get hungry! - and if the staff is helping to serve food/cut cake/fill drinks/etc, then they totally finish eating in all of 30 minutes. For the parties I've been to with pizza, I have been to ones where they did not serve pizza to the parents (which I honesly think is a bad idea) and ones where they did have enough pizza for the parents (if you decide on a meal, make sure you have enough for the parents! They often relish the opportunity to eat while the kids are occupied).

So bottom line, I cannot imagine trying to open gifts at a party like this but if that's what is done in your area, then by all means do it! Just expect it to be fast and furious and have help lined up to take notes of who gave what gift and to take care of the storm of wrapping paper that is sure to occur:)

indigo99
05-22-2013, 03:03 PM
We have done parties like this many times. IME, 30 min is plenty of time for pizza and cake. Do you have to open presents at the party? I have never been to a party where that's been done.

I do agree with PPs that all the time frames suggest food.

Really? I think I've only been to one child's party where they didn't open presents, and it was at Chuck E Cheese so the kids wouldn't have wanted to sit still long enough. I think the parents around here will expect to open the gifts. The kids help pick them out and get excited to give it etc.

I will put on the invite whether we're having cake and icecream or pizza etc to help. Does 10-12 on Saturday still require food though? The package that they offer has 2 slices per child so there should be enough for parents given the age of the kids.

indigo99
05-22-2013, 03:28 PM
OK. So I think I'll go with 10-12 Saturday and probably offer pizza. They get Papa Johns size large cut into 10 slices each.

25 kids x $3 = $75 for 5 pies and drinks
There should be some extra pizza, and I can probably bring a cooler with some drinks for the adults.

Would everyone be happy with that? I'll still need to decide about opening presents or not. I think it will take too long, but I also feel like everyone expects to do it.

SnuggleBuggles
05-22-2013, 03:30 PM

:yeahthat:

All of your times are meal times.

Eta- your plan is good. I am pro present opening, btw. Never takes all that long.

BabbyO
05-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Really? I think I've only been to one child's party where they didn't open presents, and it was at Chuck E Cheese so the kids wouldn't have wanted to sit still long enough. I think the parents around here will expect to open the gifts. The kids help pick them out and get excited to give it etc.

I will put on the invite whether we're having cake and icecream or pizza etc to help. Does 10-12 on Saturday still require food though? The package that they offer has 2 slices per child so there should be enough for parents given the age of the kids.

I would say 10 - 12 on Saturday you do NOT need to do food - but include that it is only Cake and Ice cream on the invite. 10:30 - 12:30 is a bit more iffy because most people I know eat between 11:30 and 12:30. I would want my kiddos to have a big snack before going to a party ending at 12:30 because they usually eat around 11:30-12.

WRT the gift opening - I think it is pretty common around here to open gifts at the party - so I understand your concerns.

bostonsmama
05-22-2013, 03:38 PM
You could ask around, but as my DD gets older, we run into parents having older siblings that are in sports practices on Saturday mornings. Perhaps that's a good thing if you want to keep participation low--if they could drop off a kid for 2 hrs and send a parent to pick him/her up, then it might work, but we had to keep our Saturday AM parties around 11am...and we served food b/c it ran til 1pm when everyone could go home and nap. BTW, expect a fight for a nap from your own kids later that day...cake & ice cream by 10am makes for some wired kids.

SnuggleBuggles
05-22-2013, 03:42 PM
I think you should push for 9:30-11:30, on further thought. When we do presents, it's bc our parties are smaller and/ or I only do cake. Pizza+ cake= almost 30 minutes, which might not be enough time for presents too. Party ends at 11:30, skip pizza.

123LuckyMom
05-22-2013, 04:00 PM
I would say 10 - 12 on Saturday you do NOT need to do food - but include that it is only Cake and Ice cream on the invite. 10:30 - 12:30 is a bit more iffy because most people I know eat between 11:30 and 12:30. I would want my kiddos to have a big snack before going to a party ending at 12:30 because they usually eat around 11:30-12.

WRT the gift opening - I think it is pretty common around here to open gifts at the party - so I understand your concerns.

I agree. You don't need pizza for 10-12 on Saturday. I can't see polls, so I thought you were only thinking Sunday. I think your time hits the sweet spot!

IansMom
05-22-2013, 04:36 PM
I voted Sat. late afternoon, but your time also includes early eve. I think 2-4 or 3-5 would be ideal for no food, but I'll admit that we do food parties regardless of time.

:yeahthat: we have never attended a party that didn't have food for the kids and adults, and we have attended parties during the 2-4 time range.

HipMama
05-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Here's a tip, bring a pizza cutter and cut the 10 slices into 20! PJs slices are huge! Should be plenty for everyone.

KrisM
05-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Will parents stay or drop off? I'm guessing most will stay, right? if so, I'd have enough for them to eat as well. Even if you just bring in snacks.

I like opening gifts, but we have never done the huge parties like that either. I'm not sure what I'd do then. DS1 and DD split a party this past weekend and we had 11 guests total. I asked if they wanted to open gifts or swim longer. DS1 wanted to swim and take gifts home. All the guests wanted to see their gift being opened. We ended up opening them there and it took about 8 minutes with them each opening one at the same time. We split them so girls watched DD open and boys watched DS1 open. So, unless you really want the kids to go one after another, just have them each open at the same time.

KrisM
05-22-2013, 05:06 PM
And, you'll never find a perfect time.

When my kids were your kids' ages, they were up at 6:30, had a snack by 10, lunch at 11:30 and napped 1-3. Dinner was 5pm and bedtime was 6:30 or 7pm. Clearly a completely different schedule than you have! My kids didn't nap past 2.5 years old.