PDA

View Full Version : Remedies for "Keratosis Pilaris" ?

PMJ
05-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Both DD and I have this skin condition -- Keratosis pilaris. It looks like "red bumps, nick named chicken skin. I feel so self conscious about it now that summer is here, and we both want to wear sleeveless tops. We both have it on our upper arms and inner thighs.

has anyone tried anything (with not too many chemicals) that could help this?

thanks

hillview
05-22-2013, 03:24 PM
I saw my derm at Mass General Hospital recently. He suggested I *TRY* a retinol prescription. I got it ($45 and no insurance coverage, supposed to last me a month!) but after a week I stopped using it. You have to put it on at night and wash it off in the morning and not get any sun on your arms (you can burn easily I guess). It just wasn't worth it to me and a retinol isn't that nice a chemical I don't think. Finally the doctor didn't think it would work for sure it was more of a hey this may help a little.

SORRY!

I have a lot of it on my arms as does DS1.

wendibird22
05-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Going GF made mine go away. Some sites that indicate there may be a connection:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gluten+keratosis+pilaris

mmsmom
05-22-2013, 04:20 PM
AmLactin lotion that you can get at CVS, Target, Costco will get rid of it temporarily. It was recommended by my Derm. I put it on backs of my arms & thighs daily and the KP is gone within a few days. It will come back if I don't use the AmLactin for a week or so. AmLactin is also great for rough spots on feet. I don't use it on DC but would like to know if anyone does b/c they have KP too.

Myira
05-22-2013, 04:25 PM
I don't have KP diagnosis, but sometimes have gotten bumps on upper arms. AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion (contains 12% Lactic Acid (alpha hydroxy)) seems to help. I slather it on after bath.

Also, I recently started using the saluxcloth suggested here by some poster and I can see an amazing difference in how soft my skin feels.

mytwosons
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Mine is finally better! Don't know if it was going gluten free, getting my vit D level up or the increased DHA.

Gena
05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
DS and I both have KP. I have it on my upper arms. DS has it on his arms and cheeks.

DS's improved some when I started him on omega supplements. He still gets the bumps, but they don't seem to last as long. I also noticed an improvement when he was on Vit D supplements for a while, so I will probably start that up again.

I've tried several lotions and creams for mine over the years. None of then really helped and some aggravated my skin a lot. However, mine seems to improve as I age. Well, that and as I've gotten older i ve just become less self-conscious about it. That's probably not what you want to hear. Sorry.

trales
05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
I was coming back to post hoe AmLactin cream has saved me, but others beat me to it.

pinkmomagain
05-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Another Amlactin devotee. You must keep up with it though.

chiisai
05-24-2013, 09:11 PM
DD has this. It did go away when we trialed GF. We're not GF right now, so she has it again.

alirebco
06-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Yup being gluten free and also taking cod liver oil can help

amldaley
07-07-2013, 11:20 PM
GF did not improve mine at all and it worsened with both pregnancies. Allergist says he believes there is a connection with some sort of immuno response, (which would make sense for some people seeing success with GF and not others). I find getting some sun to the affected areas helps (which makes sense that Vitamin D helps and I am D deficient. There is a lot of evidence for this...many who really suffer from it find tanning beds work well...but would you trade KP for skin cancer?). I also use Gold Bond Healing cleansing cream in the shower and I apply Hope in a Jar to face and upper arms daily. This has improved both redness and texture to some extent but not completely gone. (I have it on my face, arms, upper legs and tush).

cckwmh
07-07-2013, 11:52 PM
AmLactin
Cerave SA
KP Duty
Retinoid

(In that order, in terms of success.) It is genetic, and there is no "Cure". Both DH and I have it, I manage it great with exfolliation and AmLactin , DH's is bad because he won't put lotion on.

alirebco
07-08-2013, 10:49 PM
There is research showing it is due to a Vitamin A deficiency - hence my cod liver oil recommendation. I recommend Green Pastures brand.

joules
08-06-2013, 04:10 PM
I have it on my upper arms. Years ago I saw a "recipe" posted on a KP message board. They referred to it as "Brynn's Mom's Formula". It's a mix of Carmol 20 and salicylic acid. I got the salicylic acid in a powder form off the internet. Brynn's mom had her pharmacist mix everything for her. Basically you want 3% salicylic acid concentration (by weight, not volume). DH is a chemist and double checked the measurements I found online. It turned out to be 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon of salicylic acid per tube of Carmol 20.

I used it before my wedding and it helped a lot. It didn't clear it up completely, but there was a noticeable difference. I put it on my arms after showering everyday, let it sit for a few minutes and then exfoliate with a damp loofa thing. After it clears up I think you can start using it 2 to 3 times a week instead of everyday.

I might try the GF thing to see if that works.