PDA

View Full Version : Feel like giving some kitchen lighting thoughts?

Twoboos
05-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I have to pick pendant lights. We are probably going to have 3, unless we go with two. ;) The pendant lights will be about 7-8 feet away from the eat-in area light fixture we already have and are reusing.

The shades on these match the eat-in fixture. That fixture is black but I would use silver cord on these b/c 1) they don't have black, 2) silver seems less obtrusive than the bronze and 3) they would kind of match our other hardware.

Besa "Brella" pendant with silver nickel cord. 6in diameter, they are spaced 2 feet apart.
http://www.besalighting.com/productpage_class-2_category-7_family-98_decor-76_config-3_finish-12.php

However... I LOVE this. Love it. I first saw it in the Grandin Road catalog and it's constantly sold out or gone or not available. But I keep searching and come across them in different sites which I've never heard of.

These are larger, 8in diameter but still 2 feet apart. Are these getting too big to do 3?? Kitchen designer says 3 is the way to go.

http://www.shadesoflight.com/wire-wrapped-recycled-glass-pendant.html

DH tells me to get what I want, the glass one will look fine b/c it's glass and will go with everything. And if I hate it I can switch them - this is like the least amount of money we're spending, LOL!! Our style is kind of transitional/traditional, I guess. I don't want this to be too country/rustic.

So, matching or fun and different?

crl
05-22-2013, 08:55 PM
I like the second ones better. :D

Catherine

Twoboos
05-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I like the second ones better. :D

Catherine

Enabler!!! :wink2: :thumbsup:

crl
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Enabler!!! :wink2: :thumbsup:

Totally. But I do think that if you are going for pendants, they should be interesting. If you didn't want people to look at the lighting, you'd get flush mount ceiling lights, right? See, logic to go with my enabling.

Catherine

Mommy_Mea
05-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Love, love, love the second one. I think they are fun but not so crazy that they can't be "neutral."

westwoodmom04
05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Chose the one you like better and do two. Three pendant lights over the island has become too common a look.

egoldber
05-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I like them both but they are very different. The first is much more modern and the second much more traditional.

We ended up getting some inexpensive pendants from Home Depot. I actually really like them and three cost less than one of the more elxpensive ones I was considering. I figure if I hate them in a couple years I will replace them. :) but I was surprised at what a good selection they had.

We actually had the builder just do a rough in and then a plate and we chose the pendants later and put them in ourselves. That way we didn't feel rushed.

Twoboos
05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Found them for even less here.

http://www.atwestend.com/Catalogue/Entire-Catalogue_2/pendant-lamp-with-wire-glass-shade.html

Has anyone even heard of these sites? At West End and Shades of Light?

I wish I knew who made them.

cono0507
05-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Go for fun and different! I like both but the second one is really great!

BigDog
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Go for the second. They're awesome looking. Make sure you get the Edison bulbs to go with them though, I think they make a big difference in the overall look. Also, check out etsy for pendant lights - I found some amazing ones there.

erv917
05-22-2013, 09:59 PM
I've ordered from Shades of Light before, worked out just fine for me. FWIW, the quality of the fixture I bought there is way better than the fixture I ordered from Pottery Barn. Good luck!

Twoboos
05-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Good to know, thanks erv917!

I think I'm going to at least order them. I really need to see things in person. I suppose I'll be out shipping if they don't work out but oh well!

Any of the morning crowd, your opinions are welcome. :)

We are starting cabinet installation today!!! That was a surprise, it was supposed to be next week. :cheerleader1: Of course I don't have a sink yet and they will need to template for the counters next week... OOPS. I can't believe I'm going to screw up the timeline - GAH!

arivecchi
05-23-2013, 10:15 AM
The second for sure! I bet they will look beautiful! Hard to tell 2 or 3 without seeing the space though.

BDKmom
05-23-2013, 10:22 AM
The first ones are nice, but pretty boring. I definitely like the second ones better. Hard to tell the size with no visual reference, so can't really say whether two or three would be better.

Sweetsunshine
05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Another vote for the second one. It adds just the right amount of interest. And I think two pendants is good unless you have a huge island.

Slightly off topic but the best thing I did as far as kitchen lighting goes is dimmer switches on the main lighting. Especially over the kitchen table if you have a light there.

egoldber
05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
I agree about the dimmer. We have three and they are LED and they put out a lot more light than I realized.