PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your DSLR

HonoluluMom
05-22-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm considering buying a DSLR and after a bit of research I think perhaps the Canon EOS Rebel SL1 may be a good option for me. It's size is a huge attraction for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-18-0-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B00BW6LY2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369269883&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+rebel+eos+sl1

If you have this camera, would you recommend it?

Otherwise, please recommend your DSLR!

I'm not very tech savvy and need something that's very easy to use (I have no clue what all the different modes/features/buttons are on my point and shoot or digital camcorder). I would use the camera primarily to take pictures of DD and family events.

sarahsthreads
05-22-2013, 09:40 PM
OK, I did *not* need to see that newer, lighter model. Sigh.

I love my Canon T2i. And even more, I love the 50mm/f1.8 (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU) and 40mm/f2.8 (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40mm-2-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00894YP00) prime lenses I bought for it. The kit lens is OK, but not great. I don't even bother carrying it around anymore - I typically keep the 40mm lens on my camera, toss the 50mm lens in my bag if we're mainly going to be outdoors, and use my feet to zoom in and out. ;)

If you put it on Auto mode (the green box) it does pretty well, but I highly encourage you to branch out a bit and learn about aperture and shutter speed and at least experiment with some of the more manual modes.

ETA: I forgot to say, one of the things I love most about those prime lenses is how fast they are. I very, very rarely bother to use a flash indoors unless it's nighttime or the darkest of winter months.

Sarah :)

elbenn
05-22-2013, 09:43 PM
I find Ken Rockwell's website super helpful for information on DSLRs.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

gamma
05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
After a trip to AZ with my Canon DSLR gear, I decided that I needed a smaller and lighter option. Even with the new smaller camera body of the Canon SL1, the lenses are still heavy! I found mirrorless cameras and haven't looked back! By removing the mirror, it gives you a DSLR in a smaller size with lighter lenses. There are quite a few companies to choose from Olympus & Panasonic/Leica share lenses, Sony Nex, Fuji. Canon & Nikon have mirrorless models but they have smaller sensors so the photo quality isn't as good as the other brands. I chose an Olympus. The OMD-em5 is top of the line! Even the zoom lenses are small!
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interchangeable-3-0-Inch-Tilting-Touchscreen/dp/B0074WDFOK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369325263&sr=8-1&keywords=olympus+omd

I have the much less expensive Olympus Pen E-PL5, more than half the price, which has the same sensor. There are a lot of bargains on Panasonic and Olympus models right now.

There is a lot of info on www.mu-43.com which I found helpful in deciding on a camera. Thought I would throw this idea out there for those who want DSLR in a smaller size. I love being able to put the camera in my bag and go!

crayonblue
05-23-2013, 12:41 PM
That's a fine option. I would just buy the body and a 50mm 1.8 and skip the kit lens. If you want a zoom later there are plenty of options. But, you could live with just a 50mm for quite some time.

twowhat?
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
That's a fine option. I would just buy the body and a 50mm 1.8 and skip the kit lens. If you want a zoom later there are plenty of options. But, you could live with just a 50mm for quite some time.

I have the T3i and it's a nice camera to learn on. I also have the 50 mm prime lens but just to warn you - because of the crop factor the 50 mm prime lense acts more like an 80 mm and it makes shooting indoors VERY TIGHT. Beautiful pics though, and great outdoors or in large rooms where you have space to move back. Never have to use flash with this lens if you're shooting a narrow depth of field which is completely fabulous. My next lens purchase will probably be a 35 mm prime because I have trouble framing some indoor shots based on how tight it is.

ohiomom1121
05-23-2013, 02:16 PM
I just got rid of an Olympus and got the Nikon D5200. Cannot say enough good things about it....my pictures are so good right out of the box. I used to edit a ton. Can't wait to learn more and get better using it.

crayonblue
05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I have the T3i and it's a nice camera to learn on. I also have the 50 mm prime lens but just to warn you - because of the crop factor the 50 mm prime lense acts more like an 80 mm and it makes shooting indoors VERY TIGHT. Beautiful pics though, and great outdoors or in large rooms where you have space to move back. Never have to use flash with this lens if you're shooting a narrow depth of field which is completely fabulous. My next lens purchase will probably be a 35 mm prime because I have trouble framing some indoor shots based on how tight it is.

Very good point. I have a full frame camera so I forget about the crop factor. Yes, 35mm might be better. Although the 50mm 1.8 is so inexpensive.

sarahsthreads
05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Very good point. I have a full frame camera so I forget about the crop factor. Yes, 35mm might be better. Although the 50mm 1.8 is so inexpensive.

Ah, but that's where the 40mm pancake lens I linked to comes in. It's only a bit more expensive than the 50mm lens and gives juuust enough wiggle room to use indoors on a crop sensor camera. Also ridiculously lightweight, though it's not quite as fast as the 50mm/f1.8.

Sarah :)

lhafer
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm considering buying a DSLR and after a bit of research I think perhaps the Canon EOS Rebel SL1 may be a good option for me. It's size is a huge attraction for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-18-0-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B00BW6LY2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369269883&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+rebel+eos+sl1

If you have this camera, would you recommend it?

Otherwise, please recommend your DSLR!

I'm not very tech savvy and need something that's very easy to use (I have no clue what all the different modes/features/buttons are on my point and shoot or digital camcorder). I would use the camera primarily to take pictures of DD and family events.

We have a DSLR that I never got around to learning how to use, thus I never took pics with it. I just wanted a good camera hat I could use every day to take pics of my kids and stuff 'in the moment'. I never found my DSlR good for that because it was big and I had to lug it around in its own case.

But my new camera has solved my problems. I keep it in my purse, use it all the time, and it takes wonderful pictures. Couldn't recommend it more. It's the Sony rx100.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX100-Sensor-Digital-Camera/dp/B00889ST2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369346530&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+rx100+camera

AnnieW625
05-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I don't own a DSLR, I have a Panasonic FZ28 power point and shoot camera (I bought it in 2009 so a newer model (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=panasonic+lumix+fz) is probably sold now) and I like it a lot. I know I wouldn't have the time to take classes on how to properly use a DSLR so this camera works great for me. My reason for the post is that prior to buying this Panasonic I thought I would be a Canon girl for life despite having a really hard time with their settings (I had owned 3 prior Canon cameras, an old 35mm film, an Elph 400, and a Is5 Power Point & Shoot) so when I tried the Panasonic I was in heaven. I love it and it is easier to use. I would go to a camera shop and try the ones that work the best for you.

mom2khj
05-23-2013, 10:14 PM
I have a Canon 60D and I love it.

I originally had a Rebel and used it in full auto. Even then, it still took way better pictures than any point-and-shoot. Once I learned how to really use the camera I upgraded camera and lenses.

I love my 18-70 f/2.8 (tamron) and my 50mm f/1.8 (canon) lenses. I also use the 55-250 that I'm hoping to upgrade in the next year.

Jen841
05-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Love my rebel! We had a warranty issue and they were great! I expected to be cameraless for weeks and had it bad I less than a week.

Issue could have been DH user error.

Love the sling camera bag I bought for the set we a bought at Costco.

indigo99
05-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Are you sure that you want a DSLR? If you haven't gotten into it enough to really learn how to use your other electronics then are you really going to take the time to figure this out so that it will be worth the extra expense and size? You might be better off with a small point and shoot because you'll use it more. I have several nice cameras including a Nikon D800, but most of my daily snapshots are with my iphone because it's just convenient.

KrisM
05-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Are you sure that you want a DSLR? If you haven't gotten into it enough to really learn how to use your other electronics then are you really going to take the time to figure this out so that it will be worth the extra expense and size? You might be better off with a small point and shoot because you'll use it more. I have several nice cameras including a Nikon D800, but most of my daily snapshots are with my iphone because it's just convenient.

I would agree with this. I bought a Canon XS last year from Canon as a refurb for $299 or so. I keep meaning to learn how it works, but just don't make the time. But, I'm glad I have it because I like that I can take good pictures, zoom a lot, etc. I am sure I could take better pictures if I learned more though. One of my primary reasons was to get something I could do a big zoom on and it does that well. I added a 18-135mm lens and that's about all I use on it.

I very often carry my small point and shoot instead because it goes in my pocket. It goes to school activities, the zoo, etc.

94bruin
05-24-2013, 10:09 AM
I took fantastic online DSLR course. I liked that I could take it at my leisure in the comfort of my own home. It's been recommended by others on this board. There is another course starting in July.

http://www.jessicasprague.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl&product_id=14&option=com_virtuemart

As another PP recommended, you might want to try the mirrorless cameras. Even though DH&I just spent some serious dough on a full frame camera, I totally want a mirrorless camera for those times that I don't want to bring out the big guns. For trips to the museum or to Disneyland or school events, I don't want to lug around my expensive, heavy gear.

I just have to figure out a way to convince DH that we *need* a mirrorless camera as well, lol!

jam224
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I must admit that my smartphone takes the majority of my day-to-day pictures, but it's nice to have for bigger events/family gatherings. I say if it's in your budget, go for it!

It would be in your best interest to at least try to learn the settings of your new DSLR. I highly recommend the book Understanding Exposure (http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/) to help you with that. Also, flash is *not* your friend! Really try to avoid using it as much as possible!

kcimato
05-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I would not buy a DSLR if you are just going to put it on automatic. A point and shoot would do just as well. If you want a smaller DLSR as PP have said, look at the mirrorless cameras. They are quite small. I have the Canon 60D and it has a nice grip on it that makes it easy for me to handle. There are some newish cameras on the market that are called bridge cameras. They are between the point and shoot and and DSLRs. They have a fixed lens and some have wide apertures which make them good in low light. Canon has the SX50 and 40, Nikon510 and Fuji has several.

If you do go with a DSLR I'll second the suggestion of taking the Oh Shoot class at jessicasprague.com

I learned so much from the instructor. I've taken all four of her classes. I now feel comfortable with my camera and what settings to use for a particular circumstance. She even has a kids camp starting in June(online).

The secret to getting good is to take photos everyday.