PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a 3yo and 5yo occupied on the plane

wendibird22
05-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Any ideas/suggestions for what to have DDs pack to keep them busy/happy/content on a plane? Next Thurs night we are flying to/from Indy. We have a layover both directions. We are only gone 2 nights so we are just using carry ons. Both DDs have rolling backpacks from Garnet Hill that came with the free matching lunch box. I was thinking the lunch box would be a great place for them to pack little toys, stickers, crayons, etc. assuming the backpacks will end up in the overhead. DD1 is going to be 6 in 2 mos and DD2 is 3.5yo. Our flight leaves at 6:30pm and bedtime is usually 7pm for them and they'll have been at school/daycare all day. But given the excitement and the layover I don't expect they will actually fall asleep...especially not the first leg of the trip.

I was thinking I'd bring a couple tag books (we have 2 tag pens), stickers, markers/crayons, coloring sheets. What else?

cilantromapuche
05-23-2013, 09:19 AM
playdoh, pipecleaners and coloring stuff were/are very popular travel entertainment.

elektra
05-23-2013, 09:26 AM
The stickers and markers, coloring books sound great. We rely heavily on the ipads, itouches, et. al too.
We load movies and the kids can watch. Just make sure you bring headphones.

Also, I may just have some slight PTSD from what I have been through with my kids and motion sickness, but you may want to bring some plastic bags and secure all the barf bags in your area. :)

mom2binsd
05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
The backpacks can go under the seat in front of them. I like the idea of using the lunch kits for toys though!

wendibird22
05-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Also, I may just have some slight PTSD from what I have been through with my kids and motion sickness, but you may want to bring some plastic bags and secure all the barf bags in your area. :)

Oh god. Hadn't thought about that. This will be their first plane trip (well DD1 was on one when she was 6mo but really...). I will be prepared!

What about gum for ear pressure???

I do have an iPad. Unfortunately the plane we are on are 3 seats on either side of the aisle. So I think our tickets are for DH and DD in middle and aisle and then me and other DD directly behind them. Which means only one kid would be able to use the iPad. Maybe I'll save that for layover entertainment.

Seitvonzu
05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
my five year old and i just got back from a trip that included a two hour airplane trip (and the associated extra 1+ at the airport). we also had TONS of time in the car as we travelled 3 days in a row for a funeral (300 miles) and then a wedding (400+miles). it was LOTS of time travelling/keeping occupied.

USBORNE STICKER BOOKS. we've been using these since before dd was three, and they consistently keep her amused for long periods of time. our problem? we are running out of ones to buy ;)

they are large, but there are other sticker books of various sizes that work too. (but these are the best in my opinion)

we did use the IPOD a bit (favorite new ap-- "tocaboca hair salon 2" (NO EDUCATIONAL VALUE-- just entertainment). in the car we watched dvds. it was stressed about "entertainment" but we got through :)

Seitvonzu
05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
what i found worked well for ears was actually MENTOS. kinda weird, but works better than gum for us (my child is still pretty terrible at gum and i didn't want to risk her spitting it out) chewy candy like skittles also worked when we ran out of mentos :)

twowhat?
05-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Those M&D reusable sticker books worked great for us and bought us nearly an hour of silence for 4-yos. My girls would've loved those books at 3 as well.

Things that would keep my almost-5yos occupied: a blank notebook with lots of colored pens, iPad or tablet or similar to watch a movie or play games, pipe cleaners are a great idea and I almost bought some to take on the plane.

Good luck!!

klwa
05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
What about gum for ear pressure???

You may want to see about getting some Earplanes for the ear pressure. I have issues flying without them as an adult. My kids think I'm weird when I insist they use them, but they seem to be okay with them & don't have issues with the pressure changes.

lalasmama
05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
We flew when DD was 7 for the first time, however, I think many of our items would have been fine for younger kids too. In DD's lunchbox, we had:

ColorWonder markers--then they can't ruin anything!
Magnet "sticker" books--then the pieces can't get lost!
"Not allowed" snacks--we're a VERY low-treat home, but loaded up for the trip
Laptop--so we had the DVD option available
Books--because nothing with a power-switch can be on during take-off/landing

acmom
05-23-2013, 02:26 PM
We've done 2 flying trips in the last few months and my kids are almost 3 and 4.5. Some of the things that worked well for us...

- pack of fruit snacks for take off (neither of mine chew gum yet)
- iPad for movie/books on my nook/games on iphone
- Usbourne sticker books as PP mentioned.
- 4.5 year old spent a long time doing a sticky mosaic
- my mom got these cute little sticker/activity/coloring books at Walmart in different characters (hello kitty, sesame, princess) for $3 that were a hit.
- little matchbox cars to drive around floor on layovers
- those little block puzzle things that are a series of small blocks connected by a rubber band that you can turn into different shapes - not sure of the name. We got our at strong children's museum and they are great for travel.
- mini magnadoodle - used for tic tac toe, other little guessing/drawing games.

We packed out stuff in kids backpacks too and backpacks fit under the seat. We also packed a variety of snacks in there (vs my bag) and that way the kids all had their toys/snacks no matter who they sat with. Most of the toys/ coloring stuff was new or only used for the trip which helps I think!

happymom
05-23-2013, 03:33 PM
The first time we had a long flight with DD (12 hours), I brought TONS of activities for her. I regretted it because I had to lug that heavy knapsack around and she didn't use most of it. The next time we flew, I brought 3 different activities.

1)Melissa and Doug sticker pads. Like PP said- it will give you an hour of silence at least. DD's favorite was the faces (not reusable stickers) - I didn't expect her to love that one , but it was her favorite by far. http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Make-A-Face-Sticker-Pad/dp/B00439BG98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369337542&sr=8-1&keywords=melissa+and+doug+make-a-face
We also have the Around the house reusable stickers, and the ballerina dressup. All are great and compact and not heavy. Get them!
2) Pad of paper and pack of markers. Plain and simple.
3) Ipad with new games downloaded beforehand.

We were lucky that DD had no problem with nausea. We brought lollypops and gum for take-off and landing.

Good luck!

cilantromapuche
05-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I wanted to add that we also have a glue stick and googlt eyes. Sometimes the googly eyes went to make creatures out of the playdoh or sometimes glued on paper. DD loves to glue paper together. but that might just be DD :)

Mommy_Mea
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Similar to the usborne books, I have a huge stock of dover activity books at home. Sticker books, mazes, connect the dots, ds1 loves them all.

Also pipe cleaners are awesome for open ended play.

Pad of paper and crayons (no markers for us, I don't trust my 2 year old with them!)

Travel games from the target dollar spot, or card games like old maid.

niccig
05-23-2013, 05:39 PM
We regularly fly and minimum is 5 hours to maximum 14 hours on plane. I usually pack:

* lots of snacks - if DS is fed, he's much happier and never know when get stuck somewhere and need food. I would doll out gummy bears for take off/landing and tell him to keep drinking water. He's 8 yo now, so don't need to do this. He can yawn. I always buy 2 big water bottles once through security and decant into our own water bottles.
* coloring in/activity books - ones with magic pen are fun/sticker books. I also had print outs of dot-to-dot, mazes, tic-tac-toe and put in clear protector sheets so could use on return journey - use with washable markers.
* plain paper for drawing - pencils or washable markers
* books - we would read chapters of whatever book currently on. DS can read now so next trip the iPad kindle app will be loaded with books for him.
* camera + blank exercise book to make a journal of his trip - he takes photos we stick in and write about the photo. Interesting to see what he considers important enough for a photo.
* iPad/DS Nintendo. On our first trip with iPad I told DS he could play Angry birds for the entire 14 hours if he wanted to as long as used headphones ;)
* lovey for the flight and usually another small stuffed animal
* kid's neck pillow, but if your flights aren't long may not need this
* travel blanket for long flights

ETA - teach the kids where they can put their feet. We had a routine, DS would get strapped into carseat or seatbelt (when older) and we would talk about where he could put his feet - hang down, on window, on my leg, criss-cross-applesauce but never ever ever on seat in front.

SummerBaby
05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Could you borrow/buy a portable DVD player? That and/or iPad work the best on planes , IMO. I have tried things like markers and small toys, but they are inevitably dropped on the floor and then you are putting tray tables up, balancing snacks and drinks, trying to reach down to get the stuff. Those seats are impossibly small and its so hard to move arou d between seats. Then if the toys/markers/crayons have rolled out of reach, your child starts whining/crying about it and starts fighting with the sibling who didn't drop hers because sibling wont share. Can you tell this is fresh in my mind? :) DVDs are easy, and stay in one place. We got our portable players on sale at Target for $50 each. They are great for long car trips too.

sophiesmom03
05-23-2013, 08:50 PM
We use an inexpensive DVD player. Like under $75. Then the other DD gets an iPad, and you can switch off.

acmom
05-23-2013, 08:53 PM
We do triangle shaped crayons or colored pencils w/ a pad of paper too. They don't roll and no caps or loose sheets to loose.

Jen841
05-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Deck of cards...do not worry if you lose a few. Decks of cards have gotten us through a Lot of travel.

Chapter book to read to the kids.

Weird but true books are the current hit in our house

Blank spiral notebooks are priceless!

Post it notes...small ones can be made into eye patches, glasses, mustrahes, etc. fun time! Grandma coworker slipped a pad in my purse for a trip and I thought she was crazy. They are fun for making games.

Boys or girls doodle book....or some how to draw book and pad of paper.

okinawama
05-24-2013, 01:36 AM
We landed today from our 5th trip in 6 months and 100% of those I flown with two kids by myself. I'm probably saying something about my parenting here, but on our flights, we bring predominately electronic media and good snacks. I throw in a few trains or cars for the layovers or times when electronic devices aren't approved, but for me, traveling lite and efficiently is the name of the game. There's no way I want to be digging play dough out of the seat, removing ten million stickers from tray tables/windows or cleaning up crafting supplies in the cabin. For me, if the flights are relatively short, I dont sweat the screen time and it helps everyone have a more peaceful flight. Good luck with your travels!!

wendibird22
05-24-2013, 07:23 AM
You all reminded me that we have dual portable DVD players for the car. I'm sure we could bring the main one to use by itself and the other kid gets the iPad. Cards are a great idea...dd1 loves UNO and war.

Thanks for the ideas! I am not a novice flyer myself (flew weekly for a former job) but all of our travel with the kids has been by car. When alone I try to board with only a small crossbody so keeping kids happy, carseats, etc is giving me the vapors!

twowhat?
05-24-2013, 08:16 AM
You all reminded me that we have dual portable DVD players for the car. I'm sure we could bring the main one to use by itself and the other kid gets the iPad. Cards are a great idea...dd1 loves UNO and war.

Thanks for the ideas! I am not a novice flyer myself (flew weekly for a former job) but all of our travel with the kids has been by car. When alone I try to board with only a small crossbody so keeping kids happy, carseats, etc is giving me the vapors!

We used the RideSafer travel vests and it is SO nice to not be worrying about car seats AT ALL (I've seen some techs say they're OK with a 3yo in just the airplane seatbelt) And these easily fit in a backpack and both of your kiddos are in the recommended age ranges, so that could be an option. They're not cheap though, at about $125 each but if you plan to do more travel with them, could be worth it.

fedoragirl
05-24-2013, 08:48 AM
I haven't read all the responses but if you don't need car seats at your destination you could rent the CARES belt from ebay. We bought one and have always used that for our transatlantic flights.