PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant again!

flashy09
05-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Since it's so ridiculously early I can't tell anyone I thought I would get it out here!

I literally had a "one night stand" with my husband this month just to dip my toes in the water of trying for another baby. Thought it was a day too late and had no early symptoms at all, but lo and behold Friday night I had a positive test after two negative ones. Spent the weekend with a lot of mixed feelings about giving up the one on one bond with DD and worrying about the wine I drank at at restaurant birthday party on Wednesday, but now am very excited!

Is it normal to have less symptoms with a second pregnancy? Maybe my body is "used" to the hormone surge or is every pregnancy just totally different. No sore boobs, no bloating, not tired, etc. Could it be related to gender?

How hard is that first year?? They will be 25 months apart. Is help a necessity?

I was also planning to go to a wedding in Aspen at the end of July. It's on the wedding deck at 13000 ft. I grew up in Colorado, but at 5-6000 ft and am worried about the lack of oxygen getting to the baby. I know that sounds super silly, but I am just about to buy tickets and it's in the back of my mind. We would be staying at around 10000 ft for the week.

I am going to try and not be so obsessive and worried this pregnancy and try to enjoy it more!

ShanaMama
05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Congrats! I really hope you stay symptom free for your whole pregnancy but that wasn't the case with me. With each of my pregnancies I had *one week* (week 5 basically) were I felt great. I told myself, wow, this pregnancy is going to be a breeze. Then week 6 hit me like a truck. Or a train. Or both.
Anyway, I hope that doesn't happen to you. Congrats again & best of luck.

tabegle
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Congratulations!!!

25 months apart, it's hard, but you'll manage. Mine are 19 months apart. We don't have any outside help. DH pitches in A LOT and the kids are in daycare because we both WOTH.

I think you'll be okay at the wedding. Just be sure to take it extra easy. Sit down when you can. Stay hydrated. Everything will probably have a stronger effect.

Give it time for the pregnancy symptoms to kick in! They will! :)

AnnieW625
05-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Congratulations! My girls are 4 yrs. apart so I have no experience about parenting kids who are less in age than that, but the BBB seems to be a Mecca for kids who are less than 3 yrs. apart so I am sure you will get some great advice here.

TwoBees
05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Congrats!!

Philly Mom
05-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Congrats! Hope you stay feeling good. I was fairly symptom free (had no idea I was pregnant) until week 6/7 and then it hit me. At 16 weeks, I still do not feel great. Sleep when you can. I WOTHFT but DD has definitely watched more tv when we get home at night so I have a chance to lie down for a bit before getting dinner ready.

elbenn
05-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Congratulations!

BDKmom
05-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Congratulations! My DC are 27 mos apart, and it's definitely busy and tougher than I thought, but wonderful also. If you can get help, do. It is nice to have help entertaining the older child while you get into the groove with the newborn. We had a sitter and lots of help from my MIL for the first two months. It's also nice to try and get someone to take/sit with the baby now and then so that you can go hang out with the older child.

I found that I was less anxious with my second pregnancy, but all of my symptoms were completely different. More nausea with the second, but less fatigue. I carried very differently, so different aches and pains as things got further along.

You will figure it out as you go, and, of course, you have all the wonderful parents here to help along the way!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
i thought the same thing, then as PP said, it hit me like a truck and the 2nd preg was worse than the first, because i was so exhausted from caring for a toddler fulltime as well. hoping that doesn't happen to you.

i had babysitting & cooking help as i mine were 14 months apart, i was SAH, we had no family in town, and my DH traveled for a week at time. So 25 months apart, especially if you WOH, doesn't seem that bad from my standpoint, and could probably be done without help. If you are SAH I would be putting the older one in a MDO or preschool or something. The only reason i didn't do that is bc mine were too close in age (DS was too young ) and by the time he was old enough, DD was already 1 year old..so i hired a sitter to come 2x a week instead to watch both of them. now i work FT, they are 2 and 3, and it's a billion times easier and we get by on almost no outside help (just housecleaning every 2 weeks). i woudln't worry too much about the spacing, at least your older one will be walking when the younger one arrives! :)

KLD313
05-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Comgratulations! Mine are 23 months apart, it's hard but if I can do it (I'm lazy) anyone can.

I cried for my DD many times throughout my pregnancy because she has no idea how Jed life was about to change. When she came in thr hospital and saw the baby I lost it. She didn't know he was coming home and I felt so bad for her. Anyway, she's fine. She's not crazy about him but she's ok. She's finally coming around and playing with him a little bit.

I and symptoms both times but I do think every pregnancy is different.

cvanbrunt
05-23-2013, 11:49 AM
That's exactly what happened to me! Got pregnant the first roll in the hay after entertaining the idea of #2. My girls are 25 months apart. We love the age spread. I've never had help with the girls. Don't fret. It will be fine. You just roll with it.

Congrats.

flashy09
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I cried for my DD many times throughout my pregnancy because she has no idea how Jed life was about to change. When she came in thr hospital and saw the baby I lost it. She didn't know he was coming home and I felt so bad for her. Anyway, she's fine. She's not crazy about him but she's ok. She's finally coming around and playing with him a little bit.

I had some of that over the weekend. She has been the center of my life for so long now and I really enjoy the one on one with her. I am so worried that I am going to hurt her feelings bringing home another baby. She is so affectionate and always wants to be hugging me and in my lap and it makes me sad to think of not accomodating her when I have a little newborn.

I also think of how easy it was just getting with her walking and talking and becoming more independent. Now I am starting all over again!

But I put away a lot of her first toys and all her old clothes the other day and it made so sad and nostalgic. I don't want to not have a baby or toddler again. Maybe another year would have been better, but I am not getting any younger and was thinking so much about another baby and obviously part of me really wanted one now as I know how babies are made, lol!

mom3boys
05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Congrats!! My first 2 are 20.5 months apart. I'm lazy too and I did it (I worked, so did have outside help in that sense, but otherwise it was just me and/or DH!). That said, the whole period of newborn + toddler is kind of like a haze to me.

My 2nd pregnancy was no harder than my first (both easy and complication free) until the very end--DS1 would want me to pick him up and carry him and it was exhausting. It also got very hot (DS2 was born in June) which didn't help--I actually delivered 3 weeks early.

BTW, DS3 was totally a "One night stand" with DH where I was not trying to get PG. I had FOUR drinks in one night about 5 days before the BFP, and symptoms were less than when I get AF, so I did not suspect pregnancy. Just kept waiting for AF, never got it . . . However I will say that within a couple weeks I was exhausted and nauseous. DS3 ended up being my toughest pregnancy.

flashy09
05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
That's exactly what happened to me! Got pregnant the first roll in the hay after entertaining the idea of #2. My girls are 25 months apart. We love the age spread. I've never had help with the girls. Don't fret. It will be fine. You just roll with it.

Congrats.

Haha, yes I thought it was just a trial run, lol! How did your first daughter react to the new baby? By 2 yrs old did she understand what was going to happen before you brought the baby home?

flashy09
05-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Comgratulations! Mine are 23 months apart, it's hard but if I can do it (I'm lazy) anyone can.

I and symptoms both times but I do think every pregnancy is different.

Was she upset about him coming home? That's my fear...

wendibird22
05-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Congratulations!

My DDs are 29mo apart. DD1 thought it was fun and exciting to have a little sister and was never particularly bothered by the attention a new baby got. Now that they are 3.5 and almost 6yo they are great friends/playmates.

ETA: I got pregnant on the first try with both kids. The 2nd go round we thought for sure it would take longer because I was in my mid-30s. I do not see this a bragging rights. DH and I see this as something to fear. We are DONE and feel like if we look at each other the wrong way I'll end up pregnant.

elizabethkott
05-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Many, many congratulations!!!!

brittone2
05-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Best wishes! My 3 pregnancies were all different. I was very nauseous but didn't vomit much in my first, my 2nd pregnancy I threw up more and then it suddenly stopped at 10w, and then my third pregnancy was sort of a hybrid of the first two (occasional throwing up, lots of nausea).

marymoo86
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Since it's so ridiculously early I can't tell anyone I thought I would get it out here!

I literally had a "one night stand" with my husband this month just to dip my toes in the water of trying for another baby. Thought it was a day too late and had no early symptoms at all, but lo and behold Friday night I had a positive test after two negative ones. Spent the weekend with a lot of mixed feelings about giving up the one on one bond with DD and worrying about the wine I drank at at restaurant birthday party on Wednesday, but now am very excited!

:yeahthat:

The exact same thing happened to me! With DD1 we had REI help to get pregnant so to say I was flabbergasted after the "one time" event is an understatement.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

westwoodmom04
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Mine are exactly thirty months apart and dd was always super excited about her little brother (they didn't really start to fight until he was 3-4 years old). She was never upset about his joining our family. There is a Sesame Street video about having a new brother/sister that we watched a lot before baby arrived, and we also read some books about it. My daughter started preschool (only two mornings a week) shortly after the baby was born, and I had her in a drop off gym class another morning. We also had a sitter two afternoons a week. All of that helped alot.

cvanbrunt
05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Haha, yes I thought it was just a trial run, lol! How did your first daughter react to the new baby? By 2 yrs old did she understand what was going to happen before you brought the baby home?

My oldest was cool with the whole thing. She knew a little sister would be coming home and her reaction was remarkably ho-hum. She loved, loved, loved being a big sis from the get go. Never once did she suggest that the baby should be returned to the hospital. Nothing like that at all. The most traumatic thing for her was waking up one morning to find my best friend there (who she knew) and us gone at the hospital. She just went over to her house (her best friend, too) until my sister arrived from the next state. It was not much of a transition for her to go from only to big sister.

crl
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Congratulations!

Catherine

DietCokeLover
05-23-2013, 01:21 PM
:bighand: Congrats!

IMO each pregnancy is different, but that being said, mine are 11 months apart so who knows what my body was thinking.

Your spacing is entirely do-able. I had no help at all with mine and we made it. It was certainly difficult at times, like the whole first year, but you do what you have to do and you get through it!

logan's mom
05-23-2013, 01:27 PM
My boys are 2 years and 2 weeks apart. I found it was actually easier at first when new baby is sleeping a lot and you are in the nursing all night daze. It gets harder as the new baby gets older and is awake more but it's all doable. Good luck and Congrats!

citymama
05-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Yay, congrats! Happy, healthy 9 months! :yay:

almostmom
05-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Congrats!

My kids are 25 months apart, and we also got pregnant in a moment of dreaming about how nice it would be to have another, though not really planning on it...

Is it hard at first? Yes, I can't deny that. The first year was a lot. But you get through it! Was DS sad when DD came home? No way! He totally knew what was going on, knew he was going to have a sibling, and never tried to send her back! Did I (and do I still) have to leave the needs of one to tend to the other? Yes! Is this hard? Sometimes, for sure. I think it's a toss up here. If you only have one kid, then you can focus all your attention on them, and they don't have to feel the pain of having to share their parents (or things). There are definitely more tears in my house because there are 2 kids. But there is also lots more playing, and laughing, and imaginative team play that I don't have to be involved with! So it's a trade-off in my opinion - more tears and more laughs. And learning that they sometimes have to wait for mama isn't such a bad thing in the long run. But it isn't always easy to remember that in the moment, for the kid or the mama!

All that said, I love having my kids 2 years apart. They are seriously the best of friends, we don't need to separate them for activities, or movies, or bedtime. The first year was hard, but after that it has gotten so much easier. Now, every night I need to break up their playing and make them get on their pjs separately and get to sleep!

Enjoy DC now, and by the time the baby is born, she will be much more grown up and ready. As will you!

Mopey
05-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Big congrats to you! I don't have any btdt for you but wishing you a happy, healthy nine months and a happy big Sis!!

fedoragirl
05-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Congratulations!
My kids are 20 months apart. It is a lot of physical work in the beginning--running after a toddler and caring for a newborn. I delegated a lot.
Wish you the very best.

happymom
05-23-2013, 03:25 PM
No experience with the age gap, but I just wanted to say Congrats!

trcy
05-23-2013, 03:29 PM
No advice since DD is my only, but I wanted to say CONGRATS!!!!

psimpson3-5
05-23-2013, 03:29 PM
No experience with the age gap, but I just wanted to say Congrats!

:yeahthat:

Congrats!

MamaSnoo
05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Congratulations!! No real advice, but my #2 pregnancy was much worse than #1, FWIW. Each times is different, I guess!

I am hoping you have a healthy and comfortable 9 mos!

AngB
05-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Congrats!

My two are 18 months apart. DS1 just turned 2 a few weeks ago ad the baby is a little over 6 months. The first 3-4 months were pretty hellish (especially through the winter being cooped up inside with a busy toddler and newborn, plus we had the stomach flu 2x, about 6 different bad head colds, etc. It was rough.) Anyway, now that they are both a bit older and it's nice outside, it's been so much better. They already interact with each other and that is just awesome to watch.

You will figure it out as you go!

edurnemk
05-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Congratulations ! :cheerleader1:

Can't comment on the gap and help needed, but if you can get help, do. It's been a blessing having my eldest in preschool, so I can give DD the same kind of attention I gave DS as a baby during the mornings, and I can actually nap when she naps. I also have a regular housecleaner.

DDs had a rough transition from being an onlie to being a brother, because he was king of the household for 4.5 years, but he ADORES his sister. I'm so glad he's gotten to experience that relationship. DD has definitely added more than what's she's taken away from him.

KLD313
05-23-2013, 05:48 PM

No, she wasn't. She acted like he didn't exist. Really. She just ignored him and went on her merry way. She poked him a couple of times and pulled him off the couch once but I think that was an accident. I really don't think she knew what he was so she just acted like he wasn't there. I promise it's not that bad. She will be ok.

boogiemomz
05-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Congratulations!! Wonderful news!! :yay:

MMMommy
05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Congratulations!

Rarick0
05-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Congratulations!!

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Congratulations!!

lmh2402
05-23-2013, 07:10 PM
congrats! no tips on spacing, except to say that i think it's hard no matter what the spacing. just hard in different ways

DS is 3 yrs, 3 months older than DD. and trust me, it was...and is...hard to manage the needs of two

but though it may be difficult at times, it's wonderful and exciting to be adding to your family!

Nooknookmom
05-23-2013, 07:49 PM
congrats! no tips on spacing, except to say that i think it's hard no matter what the spacing. just hard in different ways

DS is 3 yrs, 3 months older than DD. and trust me, it was...and is...hard to manage the needs of two

but though it may be difficult at times, it's wonderful and exciting to be adding to your family!

Congrats!!!!! Ours are 11.5 years apart and it's still hard (the 17 yo acts 6 sometimes and the 6 yo acts 17!) I wish I had been able to have them so close!

Enjoy - I love being pregnant!!!

KpbS
05-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Congratulations! I am one who loves being pregnant too.

I would be a bit concerned about the elevation. Once in Colorado I travelled to 10,000 feet after being in Denver for a week and felt terribly sick. I hadn't experienced elevation sickness before but was so totally miserable I couldn't imagine staying any longer than an hour after I figured out what was going on. So all that is to say, I wouldn't make reservations to stay someplace at 10000 ft that were non-refundable, just in case. Pregnancy does strange things to the body sometimes and it is possible to have a reaction/ problem to something you could previously tolerate fine.

MamaMolly
05-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Congrats!!! :applause:

Tea4two
05-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Congrats! Mine are 3 years apart. Some days are really hard, but a lot can be attributed to DD's fussiness due to reflux. And trying to PT DS while breastfeeding (fun times). I do have family help and DH is great.

BabbyO
05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Congrats! Mine are 26 mo apart and it is tough at times, but really they adore each other and really have started playing together in the last 6 mo or so (esp after Peanut started walking). The end of my pg was tough because Stachio was just 2 yo and still a little guy himself, but yet it was difficult for me to carry him and do lots of other things I know I would have normally done.

A good support network is pretty helpful, but we don't have outside help. I had a pretty tough 1st trimester with morning sickness, so that was difficult but other than that it was life as usual for most of my pg. We have grandparents that can occasionally help out, and some pretty nice neighbors that have helped in a pinch (one came to the house to be with Stachio when DH and I went to the hospital because I went into labor at about 3 am and my parent's couldn't get there for about an hour - I have fast labors).

But Stachio adores his little brother and is always willing to help, entertain, etc. Sometimes having them that close is the biggest blessing, too!

infomama
05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Congratulations!!

curiousgeorge
05-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Congratulations!!

My boys are 26 months apart. I felt like it was easy (as easy as a newborn and toddler can be) at first because the baby was so easy-going and portable.

It got harder when the baby turned seven months old and was crawling like a fiend. He wanted to go everywhere and get into everything!

Now they are 4.25 and just newly 2 and are starting to play together really well. It is so much fun to watch. I really feel like I am out of the fog at this point.

I will say I was shocked by how happy DS1 was when DS2 came home from the hospital. He never said "take him back" or any of those things. For the first 24 hours he did not want anyone to hold the baby except me, and was quite adamant about that. It was really sweet.

There have been a few moments of frustration when DS2 has "wrecked" something DS1 has created, but other than that I feel really lucky that they have gotten along so well.

Also, my DH is amazing and really took DS1 a LOT that first year with DS2. They did a lot of "special" things together (I mean like going to Home Depot...that kind of special :rotflmao:) and now are best of friends. Other than that I didn't have any other help. I SAH and DS2 started a mother's day out program mid-year the week he turned two. That helped, but it was still only two mornings a week. It was hard, and I was tired, but so, so worth it to have them this age spread. I know we are really going to enjoy it.

Good luck and congratulations!!

wallawala
05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Congratulations!!

My boys are 26 months apart. I felt like it was easy (as easy as a newborn and toddler can be) at first because the baby was so easy-going and portable.

It got harder when the baby turned seven months old and was crawling like a fiend. He wanted to go everywhere and get into everything!

Now they are 4.25 and just newly 2 and are starting to play together really well. It is so much fun to watch. I really feel like I am out of the fog at this point.

I will say I was shocked by how happy DS1 was when DS2 came home from the hospital. He never said "take him back" or any of those things. For the first 24 hours he did not want anyone to hold the baby except me, and was quite adamant about that. It was really sweet.

There have been a few moments of frustration when DS2 has "wrecked" something DS1 has created, but other than that I feel really lucky that they have gotten along so well.

Also, my DH is amazing and really took DS1 a LOT that first year with DS2. They did a lot of "special" things together (I mean like going to Home Depot...that kind of special :rotflmao:) and now are best of friends. Other than that I didn't have any other help. I SAH and DS2 started a mother's day out program mid-year the week he turned two. That helped, but it was still only two mornings a week. It was hard, and I was tired, but so, so worth it to have them this age spread. I know we are really going to enjoy it.

Good luck and congratulations!!

This is us too, except DD is almost 4 and DS is 16 months (about 30m apart). She ignored him at little at first, and then became a very excitied doting big sister. He is now a little pest and pulls her hair, smashs her magnatiles creations, etc... but she tolerates it so well.

Congratulations!! My first preg was horrible and DD is a 'pistol', so we had very mixed feelings when that second blue line popped up after a rare fling. It took 3 years to get pregant the 1st time, and almost went to REI, and I was almost 40, so really, really didn't think #2 was possible. #2 was an easier pregnancy for sure, and DS at least initally was a "good" baby of mythic proportions. So wishing you similar easy path for #2!!

flashy09
05-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks you everyone for the advice and kind words! What a great forum, it's so nice to tell everyone and be able to celebrate with people in the early days. I still have some lingering sadness over not having days of just me and DD anymore. Maybe it's because I was an only child - my DH thinks it would be a tragedy for her NOT to have siblings and giving her a brother/sister was a main reason for him to want another.

But it's so exciting to think of another little person in the house and now that I have known for a week it seems a lot more real! I don't think I quite believed that test until now!

Did gender of the new baby make a difference for your oldest? Were they more excited for their own sex? Do you think same or opposite genders fight/play more?

mommy111
05-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Congratulations, and wishing you a happy and healthy nine months

SASM
05-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Congratulations!!!!

essnce629
05-24-2013, 09:07 PM
No advice since mine are 5.75 years apart, but I just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!!

Kira's Mommy
05-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Yay!!! Congrats!!!

23 months gap here. The first year was tough. The second is much easier but things are still crazy. We had no help except my DH worked from home, so when both kids were screaming, I was screaming too - for DH:) I would definitely recommend getting help, at least part time (nanny or daycare).

My DD is a jealous type and has a very stubborn strong personality. She accepts nothing but 100% attention from at least one parent. When she does not get her 100%, she acts out. So yeah, she let us experience terrible twos and even more terrible threes to the fullest. Having said that, she never ever takes her frustration on DS. They get along surprisingly well. It's the sweetest thing in the world to watch.

I recommend the book called Siblings without rivalry.

daisyd
05-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Congrats!

ZeeBaby
05-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Congrats! Year 1 is definitely the toughest year. Mine are 16 mos apart. I felt like I was in the twilight zone for 6 mos. I barely have any memories if was so hectic. I went back to work when DD2 was 4 mos and it was very overwhelming. Get as much help as you can muster. It is great when they get older. Right now they are playing together and having a good time. They are now almost 5 and 3.5.

joonbug
05-25-2013, 11:19 AM
No advice but wanted to say CONGRATS!!!

mjs64
05-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Congrats! A big change, to be sure, but a joyous one!

daisymommy
05-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Congratulations!!! It's so much fun watching your kiddos play together! Here's to a happy healthy 9 months!

Sent from my iPad

Melaine
05-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Congratulations!!! I hope you have a relaxed and healthy pregnancy!

teresah00
05-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Mine are 25m, 2.5y and 2y apart. It's hard at times learning to juggle. But you get thru it. A lot more tv than I would normally do. More take out or easy cooking. House standards go down. But some of that is just the nature of a baby. I'm a sahm and DH works long hours. I didn't have help w the 2nd baby til summer when my mom was off. We spent a lot of time there. A few times a week for a few hours- I stayed and we hung out. The 3rd and 4th were summer babies so she was around a little more. Although she was back in school a 3 weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk