PDA

View Full Version : Does this tree exist?

icunurse
05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
We have an odd-shaped lot. At a narrow point, my patio doors line up with our neighbors large dining room window. From window to window, it is maybe 75 feet. I would like to plant something along our fence line that kinda blocks his view (not that I have ever seen him looking, but I feel very "exposed" in my kitchen). I need something that isn't too wide, as I don't want to take up too much of our yard, encroach onto our deck, or cross over his property line). But it probably needs to only be 10-15 feet tall. I'm not a fan of arborvitae :)

BunnyBee
05-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Depends on where you live. :)

TwoBees
05-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I thought you were going to ask about a money tree.

:D

Giantbear
05-23-2013, 01:41 PM
what about a trellis with some vine on it?

icunurse
05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
I thought you were going to ask about a money tree.

:D

If the tree were to also grow money, that would be very welcome! Lol

I don't think a trellis would look good, need too much height. Plus it would be kinda ugly in the winter.

Considering a dwarf/semi-dwarf fruit tree. I have room to plant others for cross-pollination, if needed, and at least I'd get fruit.

elbenn
05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Cherry Laurel make a nice hedge. Not sure if they work where you live. Certain junipers planted close together can also make a nice hedge.

rin
05-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Many vines (wisteria comes to mind) look nice in the winter too, since they become very woody. Wisteria also won't destroy stucco/brick/siding, like ivy or other vines.

If you really want low footprint in the yard, google espalier treatments for fruit trees.

ETA: Sorry, misread, thought you wanted something against your wall. How tall are you talking? Rhododendrons can be nice, also hawthorn.

twowhat?
05-23-2013, 02:00 PM
LOL about the money tree. It totally depends on where you live.

Here, a Japanese maple would work, or a holly (there are varieties that are small, tree-like and very pretty in the winter with the red berries), or a magnolia. Basically an ornamental tree. I would go to a good nursery with knowledgeable folks about native/adapted plants in your area and ask. You want to be sure you get a plant that is good quality and will do well in your area/climate zone! You will also want to tell them you plan to use it as a privacy screen so you might want an evergreen variety or one that doesn't go completely bare in the winter.

crl
05-23-2013, 02:06 PM
I would not do wisteria. It has definite take over the world tendencies and I am way too lazy to keep a plant like that in check.

http://www.portlandnursery.com/plants/shrubs-vines/wisteria.shtml

Do you want an evergreen so you have screening all year around?

Catherine

icunurse
05-23-2013, 02:46 PM
I would like something in the evergreen family, if possible. But I think for a regular evergreen to get tall enough for what I want, it would be very wide at the base and look odd in the space. I like my neighbor, so I am hoping to not make it look too much like I am blocking him out, but our patio doors give us a ton of light, plus are used a lot for access to our backyard and for the dog, so I don't want to keep the blinds closed all day. His dining room window is almost as large as our patio doors and does not have a covering. He and his wife use their computer a lot there, but usually have their back to us (thankfully).

twowhat?
05-23-2013, 02:48 PM
I would like something in the evergreen family, if possible. But I think for a regular evergreen to get tall enough for what I want, it would be very wide at the base and look odd in the space. I like my neighbor, so I am hoping to not make it look too much like I am blocking him out, but our patio doors give us a ton of light, plus are used a lot for access to our backyard and for the dog, so I don't want to keep the blinds closed all day. His dining room window is almost as large as our patio doors and does not have a covering. He and his wife use their computer a lot there, but usually have their back to us (thankfully).

Not all evergreens are cone-shaped!!! Definitely ask a good nursery for recommended evergreens that don't look like Christmas trees.

squimp
05-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Not sure about your climate, but we have a bay laurel and it made a really nice hedge. You could trim it all sorts of ways and it looked good.

We also had arborvitae and I hate to tell you but it's very thin and evergreen.

sariana
05-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Arizona Cypress is tall and narrow. Our Incense Cedars have stayed pretty narrow, too. You might also look at Pittosporum. I can't remember the species we have, but it makes a nice visual barrier without being too tall and skinny.

We live in climate zone 9, and my recommendations are for drought-tolerant plants. If you get a lot of rain, they may not work so well.

tabegle
05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
I know you said you'd like to stay in the evergreen family, but I just keep looking out my window at my neighbor's lilac bushes.

They are so pretty and look like they can get some decent height to them.

ShanaMama
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM
A lot of people here have evergreen hedges on the property line. I think they've even been called privacy trees. I don't know exactly what they're called, but they are smallish & pointy on top.

Eta: what I'm talking about is more like a bush than an xmas tree.

mom_hanna
05-23-2013, 09:33 PM
There are Italian Cypress trees that grow tall and skinny. You could plant a few of those to block the view. They need a warm climate though. Not sure if they grow well in Illinois climate. I would consider doing a Japanese Maple. they are fairly small but the branches spread so it would provide privacy.

chays
05-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Emerald Green Arborvitae

KLD313
05-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Emerald Green Arborvitae

:yeahthat: I know you said you don't like them (I don't either) but I have some and they would fit the bill.