PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on replacing busted back door

codex57
05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Real crappy month.

So, house got broken into yesterday. Broad daylight too. Prolly casing my house, altho not sure why my house in particular was targeted. Unfortunately, the motion detectors of the alarm didn't go off for some reason. No one hurt. Jewelry taken. Unfortunately, high sentimental value. DW thinks one piece is worth a lot (like $10,000) but I'm not sure it's that high. I think the total amount taken was around $10,000 but that's a pure guess on my part. Stuff was all ancient (passed to DW from her mom) so we unfortunately have no pictures or paperwork.

Anyways, they got in by smashing through the bottom part of our glass back door.

Now, I gotta replace it. Any suggestions on who do I call? Open a phone book? Check out Home Depot? Find a repairman on Pennysaver (sounds like a real crapshoot)?

Also, would you suggest another glass door or solid/partial solid? The thief also busted our vinyl shutters that covered the glass door. Part of the reason I'm considering a solid door (at least on the bottom) is that I then save on the cost of putting up shutters on the door. Just not sure if it'll look right aesthetically. However, if you look out to our backyard, there are two walls filled with windows. The door to the back is actually at a 90 degree angle so you really don't see it unless you're in the kitchen (particularly the breakfast nook area). And even if you are, you still have a wall of windows to look out into the backyard even if the door was solid. If solid, I don't think it'll affect how much natural light gets in much.

Kindra178
05-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Oh my. So sorry that happened to you. I would go for a more solid door as opposed to glass, although from what I understand, doors are pretty easy entry points no matter what they are made of. Could you do a real door (steel safety door) coupled with an all glass storm/screen door? If you were able to lock both, that would be a better deterrent.

crl
05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
That's awful.

It sounds to me like a solid door would be easier and maybe make a repeat break in harder to accomplish?

I would be calling my handyman. Since it sounds like you don't have someone you use already, I'd look for referrals from the local online parenting group, yelp and Angie's List.

Catherine

codex57
05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm not looking to turn my house into Fort Knox. Even if I put in a Titanium Door, they could just bust through one of the 10 windows next to it. I'm just looking for opinions on the best balance between deterrence and looks. I'm pretty sure the thief only busted in the bottom b/c it's easier to crawl through an opening with glass all around than to climb up and over it. If at least the bottom portion of the door is solid, he might just try another house rather than deal with mine in particular.

Also, can you explain what a storm door is? SoCal native so anything beyond sunshine is kinda foreign to me. We get seasons where I am now and it's still astonishing to me.

The fact that it's Memorial Day weekend coming up and I've got a ton of people coming over (starting tonight) isn't helping. The house is still a total mess cuz they opened EVERY drawer, cabinet and box and just tossed it all on the floor. Basically gotta put the entire house together save the kitchen. Grrrr.

codex57
05-23-2013, 02:21 PM
If you crawl, motion detectors don't go off. Lovely. It would explain why they didn't take anything big though.

crl
05-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Pictures of storm doors: https://www.google.com/search?q=storm+door+picture&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=c2CeUdMe5ciKAu7cgZAM&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Sounds horrible. I am so sorry!

Catherine

Kindra178
05-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Do you have glass break sensors? The newspaper delivery person set off our alarm a few times by hitting the door, thereby setting off the glass break sensor. Here is an example of a storm door:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1539966/Storm-Doors--screen-doors-new-york

codex57
05-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Great, my builder used an odd sized door apparently. Home Depot's website doesn't list that size.

codex57
05-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Do you have glass break sensors? The newspaper delivery person set off our alarm a few times by hitting the door, thereby setting off the glass break sensor. Here is an example of a storm door:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1539966/Storm-Doors--screen-doors-new-york

No glass break sensors. I figured that's what the motion detectors are for.

Hmmm, that picture looks just like my back door that was broken.

twowhat?
05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
We have something similar to this as our back patio door and we have blinds on it to block out sun but also to let in light when we want. For it to be even more break-in proof though, you probably want to put a keyed deadbolt on so that someone couldn't break one of the panes and then reach in to unlock the door. As for finding a contractor to replace the door, we subscribe to Angie's List which has been really useful. Another idea is to email or call the realtor who sold you the home - a good realtor is like a database of contractors that people in the local area are happy with. Or ask neighbors for recs.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/59/59f91944-04e0-400e-9364-163bdaa275c3_300.jpg

Sorry about the break-in :( That sucks. Glad no one was hurt.

Kindra178
05-23-2013, 02:47 PM
No glass break sensors. I figured that's what the motion detectors are for.

Hmmm, that picture looks just like my back door that was broken.

Right, but there is another door on the other side of that.

Indianamom2
05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Right, but there is another door on the other side of that.

I'm so sorry this has happened. We had a robbery here (thankfully only our van, but they were in our garage in the van). It's very unsettling.

I guess I'm confused. We have a door like the one that was linked to from Houzz on the front of our house, but behind that door is a steel door with a deadbolt. Do you only have the glass door back there? I'd probably go with something a little more solid, but as you said, if the thief is determined, it won't matter much.

Can you claim the door cost/repair on your homeowners insurance with the rest of the jewelry? I'm so sorry again. Life is truly not fair sometimes.

trales
05-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Where is the closest Pella or Anderson dealer? Go into the showroom pick one and have them install.

I would do the 1/4 to 1/3 wood bottom and glass on top. I like the look of that. CAn you link a picture of the back of the house so we can see what the rest of the windows and siding look like to get at the aesthetic.

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry. That sucks. :(

We have an old home and an odd sized door- it's a pain. We have a storm/ screen door in front of a traditional solid wood door.

alexsmommy
05-23-2013, 09:56 PM
You'll need to have a custom door made.
Completely the norm where I'm at as most of the homes are at least 60+ years old (ours is over 100).
Call your police department and ask their advice. They'll know what type of a door is a deterent in your area.
So glad everyone is ok.

codex57
05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Hmmm, good idea about asking the police. Still, even if all metal, if they really wanted in, the could just break one of the 10 windows next to it.

But yeah, it's just all glass. No other door behind it.

New construction home so no realtor. My neighbor thinks it'll be a custom door. Glass repair people are supposed to call me today to see about estimates. I might just look into glass break sensors and fixing the motion detectors. Possibly security cameras as a deterrent also.

codex57
05-24-2013, 11:55 AM
I did some experimenting and it appears the motion detectors can't see someone who is crawling.

Do you think that's the alarm company's fault? What should I demand as a fix?

BunnyBee
05-24-2013, 01:17 PM
I did some experimenting and it appears the motion detectors can't see someone who is crawling.

Do you think that's the alarm company's fault? What should I demand as a fix?

Do you have indoor pets? We have cats, so they can't set the sensors above the dogs' height. If you don't have animals, the can set two motion detector triggers for about a foot off the ground and one higher as well. Our alarm has different settings for when the animals are here or when we're all gone (on vacation). ANY motion sets them off then, otherwise it's on glass break. You definitely should have glass break. Our alarm company said the alarm was pretty worthless without it, so I'd be ticked at whomever did your install.

I'm sorry. It must be very disconcerting.

codex57
05-26-2013, 03:11 AM
Yeah, getting more and more ticked at the alarm install guy. He better show up on Tuesday.